Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3808849 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Preparing for take off (players needed)
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 12:02:37 pm »

OOC here for a second. It's possible that there will be moments in this game where you or your teammates begin having any number of mental problems. Perhaps mind control, perhaps feed back from Amps, perhaps hallucinations from drugs. The point is, for that sort of thing to really work you need to respond how your character would, without the knowledge you have from the metagame. If you're taken over and you round a corner to see a 6 armed murder beast, you should open fire, even if you know it's actually an illusion and you're gonna fire on a friend. I know it's hard, but try to stay in character and not metagame as best you can.
((What about the characters whose reaction would be running away screaming like a little girl?))
OOC here for a second. It's possible that there will be moments in this game where you or your teammates begin having any number of mental problems. Perhaps mind control, perhaps feed back from Amps, perhaps hallucinations from drugs. The point is, for that sort of thing to really work you need to respond how your character would, without the knowledge you have from the metagame. If you're taken over and you round a corner to see a 6 armed murder beast, you should open fire, even if you know it's actually an illusion and you're gonna fire on a friend. I know it's hard, but try to stay in character and not metagame as best you can.
((What about the characters whose reaction would be running away screaming like a little girl?))
((Or...a grown girl? In my case?))
As long as you have a good in character reason for it you could start juggling and telling jokes for all I care.

>Ahhh good, we're all ready. Lets begin the briefing shall we?

>Our target is a free planetoid, 9154 Mali III.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To put it simply, it's a big, dark, cold, boring chunk of rock wandering through a big, dark, cold, boring, empty expanse of space. Temperature peaks at around 3 degrees K, atmosphere is negligible, and light is minimal so you're going to have to use the light amplifiers on your suit or rely the head lamps. Your target is a building that seems to have been constructed back when this planet actually orbited a star so the only resistance we're expecting is automated; whoever was there ain't there no more.

Here is a map of the operations area

The enemy structure is highlighted in red. The blue of to the north there is a small sea of superfluid hydrogen in a large crater, the gray are raised rock formations, the light tan is ice and the rest is mostly level rock.

You're drop point is here

You got lucky this time, those rock formations will provide cover from any anti-air weapons while you're being dropped.

Your allies are dropping in here

Don't expect them to back you up though, each HMRC squad is considered an independent entity; we don't drop 6 of you at a time for the sake of team work, we drop 6 of you at a time sheerly to increase the chances that one of you will manage to get the artifacts we need. The rest of you are plasma sponges. Still, try not to blow them up.

Here's an enhanced image of the target itself

Those 4 outlying structures are automated defensive positions. The purpose and exact structure of the main building is unknown but the Magisters, in their infinite wisdom, have deduced that there may be interesting trinkets inside. So go in there, pacify any automated defenses and gather up anything that looks like it might interest a scientist.

Even for you this one should be a cakewalk. We're predicting only a 10-20% death rate. Alright, you've got one hour before you need to be in your gravity fields for acceleration, if you've got questions or want to plan anything with your teammates, now is the time.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:02:42 pm by piecewise »

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 12:26:09 pm »

waitlist, I guess.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 12:41:05 pm »

((The effort you poured into this, Sir, deserves praise.))

Milno stays quiet and waits for someone to start throwing in ideas.

"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 12:52:34 pm »

waitlist, I guess.
On standby you go.
(changed image host because images weren't showing up (at least for me))
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:03:38 pm by piecewise »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 02:15:10 pm »

Jim put his hands in his coat pockets and studied the maps. "Are the rock structures to the northwest of our drop point passable?" he asked. If not, they would have to head east and around.

(I'm picturing him still wearing the coat and vest over his suit, with maybe the gasmask modified to work with the suit.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 03:20:16 pm »

Jim put his hands in his coat pockets and studied the maps. "Are the rock structures to the northwest of our drop point passable?" he asked. If not, they would have to head east and around.

(I'm picturing him still wearing the coat and vest over his suit, with maybe the gasmask modified to work with the suit.)

>I'm going to assume you mean the rocks to the northeast, since the northwest is nothing but a flat plain. And yes, they are passable; it will require some climbing but the gravity is only .6 earth average.

Coat and vest, sure, but gas mask in a space suit? Seems a bit superfluous. Imagine it if you want to. In case you're wondering, the Mk I suits recycle air as well, so no need to worry about running out or anything. As per what the suits look like, they're basically a more form fitting space suit with a few patches of metal plate armor scattered about. The helmet is a metal shell over a plastic bubble with a faceplate that can be opened or closed. When the faceplate is down, cameras on the outside project a feed onto a screen on the inside, allowing for things like light amplification. When you flip the faceplate up it's just like looking out a window. Probably a good idea to keep the plate down for the little bit of protection it adds.

Oh, and you have walkie-talkies, so make sure to make full use of those.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 09:32:05 pm »

>If you don't have any more questions, head for the gravity fields. Just don't expect to be making plans on the way down. 

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 09:40:50 pm »

Milno:
"Hm, I think we should protect the people more skilled in medical care."
He says eyeing Faith before heading towards the gravity fields.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 09:49:07 pm »

Head to the Fields
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »

"YES!" Faith said hurriedly at Milno's suggestion. "That is a very good idea, I think we should use that idea!"

Head to gravity fields.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:42 pm »

Jim, having had no further questions, goes to the gravity fields as well, bringing up the rear.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 10:02:46 pm »

Feyri Nirel

Follow the three, heading to the Gravity Fields. Take the rear.

"Splitting up would be fine, but we can hold that for later on."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 12:43:15 am »

You all pile into docking bay and walk toward the shuttle. The shuttle is little more then metal skeleton dotted with rocket pods and rows of gravity fields. You each step into separate field and immediately drift weightlessly to the center. The radio in your helmet crackles.

>We're going to start accelerating now. You won't feel it in those fields but I suggest not getting out of them, 20 g's has a bad effect on organic life. After we get up to 20 g's we'll make the final jump into the planet's space and eject the shuttles. From that point on you'll be decelerating toward the surface. Try not to die, shuttle 3, your suits are expensive.

For a long time nothing seems to happen.

> Preparing for jump.

You brace for an impact that never comes. Then the interior of the ship is gone and all is dark. You look around in confusion and see the planet speeding toward you. The retrorockets on the front of the shuttle are burning white hot, not that it seems to have much of an effect. As you look around you see several other hot points of light descending toward the surface; the other shuttles. As you watch them descend one suddenly glows brighter and then fractures into a dozen points of light.

>Shuttle 5 lost. Oh dear, seems their anti-air is better then we predicted. Beginning evasive maneuvers.

The shuttle begins to jerk violently, the planet becoming nothing but a vague blur beneath you.

>Shuttle 1 lost. 30 seconds till drop.

The surface blooms up beneath you. In the unsteady haze of motion you can see something massive and silver glinting in the dull light.

>Shuttle 2 lost. 15 seconds till drop.

The retros burn brighter and the shuttle slows violently, the ground becoming a visible blur of stone rather then an incomprehensible blur of gray.

>Shuttle 6 lost. 5 seconds.

The rockets fire in bursts.

The underside rockets flare suddenly.

The ground looms up, no more then a half dozen meters.

The rockets cut out. Free fall.

The fields hum for a moment and then with a click they disappear. You fall gently to the ground from no more then a few inches as the shuttle suddenly becomes a burst of light and buzzes silently away toward the far horizon.

Drop complete.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Hot Drop (players needed)
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 12:44:38 am »

Get to feet, examine surroundings, rifle drawn.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Hot Drop (players needed)
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 01:20:32 am »

Get to feet, examine surroundings, rifle drawn.

You scan the area with your rifle at the ready. It is very very dark. Maybe you should turn on the head lamp or light amplification.

>>By the way, those ships shot down? Yeah, thats not scripted. You caught a bad roll for the strength of the anti-air and just happened not to get hit. Very lucky so far, lets see if you can all keep that up.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:23:50 am by piecewise »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 1256