Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3809246 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile

(( Finally back here and, well... mission ended. Huh. ))
[Public channel] No way.  Damnation, we lost it. Let's see: Steve, what awaits the HMRC members who lose the mission? Well, apart from the refreshing electrical discharge to their brains?
Drop the now useless bottle of painkillers to the ground.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Milno narrowed his eyes and looked around before smirking, his voice sounding as sarcastic as ever.
"Yeah, we surely completed the mission, what with the matter of our only target escaping under our noses. I have to congratulate your performance as well, who else among us would be so extensively qualified to kill innocent people in front of their children? That surely deserves both commemoration and praise."

Check fuel gauge, get back to flying erratically and try to see anything moving in the field aside from the team, even if far away. Fly around to scout the area just in case he is still around. Then get to the shuttle.

((Edit: We failed, and that was actually a good outcome. We're just lucky the assassin was trying to escape so the competent people wouldn't catch him, because he could have toyed with our group more and caused a good number of casulties, if not offing the entire team.))
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:23:21 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile

Remain dead.

((Yeah, we really couldn't do anything short of massacring the entire town if we wanted to catch the guy. Hey piecewise, was there an intended way for us to do this mission that didn't result in horrible failure?))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

((Or maybe your pointless massacre of civilians wasted time and surprise, thus preventing you from doing anything useful before he did.

Alternatively, you also didn't kill and burn especially efficiently.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile

(( For some reason I feel that the question won't be answered. If only for the fun of dropping us several missions later into exactly the same (okay, quite different, but strikingly similar) mission setup  :P ))
[public channel] Why, that was an accident, Mesk, right? Surely no one of us would want to kill the civilians. Or was it (self-)defense? I can hardly think of any other way it could be justified.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

(Hey, wait a minute.  I was still carrying that little girl around with me.  What happened, did Jim kill her?)

"Mission accomplished!  Good work, men.  Drinks are on me."
We'll assume that Thrak grabbed her too. She's thrown over someone's shoulder in there somewhere.

(( Finally back here and, well... mission ended. Huh. ))
[Public channel] No way.  Damnation, we lost it. Let's see: Steve, what awaits the HMRC members who lose the mission? Well, apart from the refreshing electrical discharge to their brains?
Drop the now useless bottle of painkillers to the ground.

>Well, it doesn't count toward your mission total, so you're no closer to completing your term. And you get no extra pay besides the 5 tokens you get before every mission obviously. But if I were executing people for being incompetent you'd all be long dead. As long as you aren't actively treasonous then I won't do anything except secretly hate you and send you on worse missions. Oh dear, did I say that out loud?

Milno narrowed his eyes and looked around before smirking, his voice sounding as sarcastic as ever.
"Yeah, we surely completed the mission, what with the matter of our only target escaping under our noses. I have to congratulate your performance as well, who else among us would be so extensively qualified to kill innocent people in front of their children? That surely deserves both commemoration and praise."

Check fuel gauge, get back to flying erratically and try to see anything moving in the field aside from the team, even if far away. Fly around to scout the area just in case he is still around. Then get to the shuttle.

((Edit: We failed, and that was actually a good outcome. We're just lucky the assassin was trying to escape so the competent people wouldn't catch him, because he could have toyed with our group more and caused a good number of casulties, if not offing the entire team.))
You check your fuel gauge and fly around a bit more, looking for anything moving. You find a big rodent looking thing in the tall grass and give it a good poking and inspection to make sure it isn't secretly a murderer, but nothing comes of it. You return to the group empty handed.

Remain dead.

((Yeah, we really couldn't do anything short of massacring the entire town if we wanted to catch the guy. Hey piecewise, was there an intended way for us to do this mission that didn't result in horrible failure?))
There were a few ways, most of them relied on everyone acting together though, so yeah. There were several times during that where, if you were looking in the right direction or had gotten the right roll, then you would have had a better idea where he was.

The shuttle comes down roughly 30 minutes later, a ball of fire and chrome that zips over the ruins of the town and lands near you in a cloud of dust. You and your companions stow their belongings: Weapons, looted objects, kidnapped children, before taking a seat. The ship rumbles up into the sky a moment later, leaving behind the ashen remains of the families you slaughtered and the town you wiped from existence that fateful night.

Congratulations. You failed. You all get minimum pay and do not get a mission added to your total. You can still level up though. You are now back on the ship. Check the other thread. 

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile

((Great work, team! You defeated the serial killer by stealing his job. That'll teach him!))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Great work, team! You defeated the serial killer by stealing his job. That'll teach him!))
((He actually won even in that area. He made the civilians kill each other then made Kyle's manipulator go boom, killing anyone still alive. His tally managed to be bigger than the team's.))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 6: Into the Abyss
« Reply #5258 on: July 19, 2012, 05:47:56 pm »

>Everyone on mission 6

You fall out of your stasis pod, hacking and retching up globs of viscus fluid.

>You know the drill, people, everyone get to the shuttle. I've got 14 years worth of news to check up on. 

You pick yourself up and gather your belongings, your suit and weapons, and head to the hanger, a mob of semi-conscious prisoners coated in synthetic snot. You suit up as the shuttle finishes fueling and pile into the crew compartment, strapping yourselves into the harnesses despite the easy flight ahead. The hatch closes as the last man steps in and you're away just seconds later.

>Alright, quick catch up for everyone. The anomaly is still there and still stable as far as we can tell. You're gonna be  the first official UWM Team to go in, but you're not going in completely blind. The Samsonite brothers-there were 3 of them, there's 1 now- have been exploring the abyss in the years we've been absent and have mapped a good bit of it. The last of them, Conrad, is gonna guide you lot in for a bit and give you some information on the abyss. I suggest you follow his lead. Each of you have been given some rope and other basic tools to climb with, and some paper and pens, in case the situation calls for it.

The shuttle ride lasts another 40 minutes, the last 10 of which are extremely bouncy. The weather outside must be bad. The shuttle lands and you and your squadies pile out into soft muddy soil and light rain. The shuttle touched down right in the center of a large dirt road. To either side of you is what might have been farmland once, years ago, but has been overgrown by tallgrass and weeds, the wooden fence around it rotted and crumbling. At the end of the road, maybe a 100 yards away, is a house. It's a two story wooden thing, white washed at some point in the past but chipped and patchy with exposed wood now. The windows are all have their shutters closed and the entire thing seems sunken and bowed as though crushed beneath some unseen weight.

There is a man standing on the porch, dressed for weather much colder then the current climate. The right sleeve of his jacket is knotted at just above where his elbow used to be and head is wreathed in thick, blue smoke from a  cigarette held limply in the corner of his mouth. As you and your team walk closer you can see just how pale his skin is, how sunken his eyes are and how haggard his face has become. He looks you and your team over without a flicker of emotion, just a dull sort of comprehension, before gesturing for you to step inside.

You follow him to a simple dining room with a large table and a hanging lamp above it. The place reeks of water and mold, and You notice, as he turns the lamp on, that the shade around it is stained glass, a depiction of stars with a few constellations you know. The man digs a roll of paper out of his backpack and unrolls it on the table. It's a crude drawing, a map of sorts.

"This is your route." He says, placing one finger on the map on a black point marked "Entrance."

"This is the entrance to the Abyss. We call it the Plains. Mostly flat and usually safe. It's lit up and the wildlife don't like it much. From there-" He traces a line up through a blank area with "PLAINS" written on it, up to what looks like a crudely rendered drawing of a forest, "-We'll head through the Dead Forest. Thats the first night's camp. It's also where we'll be parting ways."

He glances up at the men and women around him for a moment before looking back at the map and continuing.

"Past that is the Pitted Lands" he indicates an area that looks like The Plains, but with drawings of circular pits scattered across it. "Don't go in them, don't drop anything down them. Next is-" he moves his finger along to a scribbled rendition of what looks like the base of a tall building, but with most of the top missing, "The Tower. That's the camp site for the second night."

He looks up again.

"There's a thing that lives around there. We call him the Lighteater. If you see him, leave him be.  He's not dangerous as long as you don't do anything stupid like shoot him."

He turns back to the map.

"Just beyond there is what we call The Fall." He points to a drawing of what looks like a cliff with a completely flat face, like a wall, "It's over 30 miles tall, so you're gonna be taking an elevator cart we set up there to the bottom."

He moves his finger along to the next scribble, a cluster of standing stones

"Graveyard. Don't stop here and don't take too long getting through. We're not sure what lives there, but camping there is what took my younger brother."

He moves his finger on to the last mark, a question mark with the words "Lost Citadel" under it.

"This is where you're going. It was the farthest my older brother ever got, and I've never been there myself. It's where he went missing. I can't tell you wants in there, but my brother seemed to think it was something important. I hope you can find what he did."

Conrad rolls the map back up and puts it back in his bag.

"Any questions?"

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: July 19, 2012, 05:57:42 pm »

"What happens to dropped things in the pitted lands?, and can I see the map?"
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: July 19, 2012, 06:21:41 pm »

Thomas checks his laser pack and rifle. He checks what the rifle is set to, if it's not at max power, minimum dissipence, he sets it to that. He also checks the Gauss Rifle for its ammo count. Also, he takes notes on the instructions they were given, and opens up a radio channel with Steve.

"Hey, are you going to be helping us on this one?"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: July 19, 2012, 06:22:13 pm »

"Is this... linear, so to speak? Or would it be possible to go off-course somewhere, beyond the forks you know about? What are the, uh, edges like, as far as you can tell?

Also... has this thing been doing things to the outside world?"
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: July 19, 2012, 06:33:00 pm »

Apart from the Lighteater - how does he look like, by the way? - and the unknown denizens of the Graveyard, what things comprise the wildlife you mentioned, and how dangerous are those?
Also, forgive my rudeness, but what took that arm of yours?
Last but not least, I take those are blue smoke cigarettes, right? In your professional opinion, is the enhanced insight they provide strictly necessary for the job (which probably means there are a quite a lot of deadly local peculiarities and small anomalies - inside the boundaries of the named larger areas), or is it just a bonus on top of the rest of your skills?

(( We are totally going to need a few handfuls of nuts to get through this mission  ;) ))
Look if the man has any weapons on or with him (at least, those not concealed).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:35:55 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: July 19, 2012, 06:35:55 pm »

((@Spinal_Taper: The gauss rifle from Nik is still with Milno, by the way. I think I forgot about it because I was going to try dual-wielding to get two rounds in the same turn on someone's face. If you want it back, say it and I'll return it and get a new one in the armory to stay with two gauss rifles.))

Milno pokes the magazine given to him, checking if it is still safely kept inside one of the suit's containers. Since he doubts the ammo is supposed to be taken lightly, it'll be kept safe and used only in "special" occasions.

His grin flashes as he thinks of a question.
"How are the nights inside the maze aside from what you already told us?"
>Yes?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5264 on: July 19, 2012, 07:01:57 pm »

"What happens to dropped things in the pitted lands?, and can I see the map?"
"You don't get them back. And it may wake up the things living down there."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thomas checks his laser pack and rifle. He checks what the rifle is set to, if it's not at max power, minimum dissipence, he sets it to that. He also checks the Gauss Rifle for its ammo count. Also, he takes notes on the instructions they were given, and opens up a radio channel with Steve.

"Hey, are you going to be helping us on this one?"
You don't have a gauss rifle according to my sheets. You didn't have any weapons till milno gave you the powerpack back.

>Alternate dimensions are a bit outside my communications range, I'm afraid.

"Is this... linear, so to speak? Or would it be possible to go off-course somewhere, beyond the forks you know about? What are the, uh, edges like, as far as you can tell?

Also... has this thing been doing things to the outside world?"
"You could go off  the path" the man says, taking a drag on his cigarette, " But I wouldn't recommend it. You'll see why when we get in. And if it has edges, I don't know about em. It's not gone outside where we found it though, if that makes you feel better."

Apart from the Lighteater - how does he look like, by the way? - and the unknown denizens of the Graveyard, what things comprise the wildlife you mentioned, and how dangerous are those?
Also, forgive my rudeness, but what took that arm of yours?
Last but not least, I take those are blue smoke cigarettes, right? In your professional opinion, is the enhanced insight they provide strictly necessary for the job (which probably means there are a quite a lot of deadly local peculiarities and small anomalies - inside the boundaries of the named larger areas), or is it just a bonus on top of the rest of your skills?

(( We are totally going to need a few handfuls of nuts to get through this mission  ;) ))
Look if the man has any weapons on or with him (at least, those not concealed).
"Lighteater is 3 meters tall and made of black fire. You'll know him when you see him, if you ever do." He looks down at his missing arm. "Remember when I said he was harmless as long as you don't do somethings stupid like shoot him? I shot him. When it comes to fauna, I can't tell you what they look like, least in any meaningful way. Shadow and lace is the best I can do."

He takes the cigarette out of his mouth and tosses it aside.

"And I don't smoke in there. I can't. Nothing burns in there. Nothing."

You don't see anything on the man other then copious amounts of chemical light sticks, flashlights and lanterns.

((@Spinal_Taper: The gauss rifle from Nik is still with Milno, by the way. I think I forgot about it because I was going to try dual-wielding to get two rounds in the same turn on someone's face. If you want it back, say it and I'll return it and get a new one in the armory to stay with two gauss rifles.))

Milno pokes the magazine given to him, checking if it is still safely kept inside one of the suit's containers. Since he doubts the ammo is supposed to be taken lightly, it'll be kept safe and used only in "special" occasions.

His grin flashes as he thinks of a question.
"How are the nights inside the maze aside from what you already told us?"
The man grins, a sort of wicked thing, laughing at your expense. "They're not too different from the day time. In fact, I can't even tell anymore. And It's not a maze. It's just a path."

Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 1256