Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3831005 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 6: I Have no legs and I must Hike.
« Reply #6225 on: August 08, 2012, 02:53:21 pm »

Well, sound certainly attracts them, movement does not. We found that out when you got pulled out, they were attracted to the sound of your suit scraping along the sand. That's also how Milno got rid of them, tossing a bar or rod or something a distance away. They all swarmed toward where I heard it hit.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: August 08, 2012, 04:50:38 pm »

But we walked and did other not so noiseless actions before and after they emerged and they didn't react to those much, right?
Maybe less 'sound' (as waves in air), and more like tremors and misplacement of the  sand?..
I also suppose that, given their seemingly metallic bodies, they might react to electricity differently than we do. Maybe even perceive the electromagnetic field, huh? ...Unfortunately, so far nothing indicates that.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:01:12 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: August 08, 2012, 06:56:07 pm »

Get up to where Milno is and film everything, especially those objects.

"Presumably everything we were doing before wasn't loud enough to warrant attention, similar to background noise back on Earth. I don't think sand carries vibrations very well.

That said, the notion that they're tracking something other than sound is certainly a possibility."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: August 08, 2012, 07:44:45 pm »

((How far from the Pits are we now, actually?))
Well, I know that sometimes sand forms thick, compressed mass that transmits and even resonates sound very effectively, but I'm not sure if that is the case here. Unfortunately, I don't remember much about this phenomenon, apart from its existance.
Also, is anyone here injured and in need of medical attention?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:54:45 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: August 08, 2012, 08:02:59 pm »

If the sand were solid, yes, but it isn't, and it moves when force is put on it, which dissipates the force. Sound is affected as well, if I recall correctly.

And, I think we're all patched up fairly well. My damage from the swarm has been repaired, you're good, and most of the others got out without much issue, as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:05:36 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: August 08, 2012, 09:28:50 pm »

As I've said, my knowledge of physics is rather shallow, and somewhat spotty, so I'll adhere to your knowledge.
Also, glad to hear you and everyone else is alright now, Simulacrus.
Past Sigs

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6231 on: August 08, 2012, 09:31:04 pm »

Go to the front of a monolith and make a fairly loud noise, a "ping", and see if I can tell any differences in the return sound.

If these things navigate by sound like the Shades do, then who's to say that information would be visual? These patterns would change soundwaves, both as waves and in return time.
You squeal your suit's speakers directly at the monolith. It's a bit hard to hear over the actual squeal, but the echo off the monolith sounds distorted.

"Get the camera here."

Get someone to film the alcoves and objects then examine and collect them.
You call for a film crew and proceed to tap your foot and wait for them.

Name: Jack Hansan
Appearance: Half a face with a robotic eye, scars all over his body.
Personal information: A strange man with a strange past, the first thing he did when he turned 18 was to burn his highschool school down. After that he went on a killing spree through his hometown and never got caught, a few years after that he blew up a space station where he finnaly was caught which is how he ended up being assigned to HMRC. He is known for his cynical views and at every opportunity to kill/blow up something, but sometimes he shows some kindness to people but only in some cases. Nothing else is kown about him.
Reason assigned to HMRC: Blew up a space station.
Stats
Strength:2
Dexterity:4
Endurance:5
Charisma:3
Intelligence:3
Willpower:3
Skills
Speach: 1
Instuition: 1
Handiwork:0
Conventional Weapons:1
Uncon Weapons:0
Exotic Weapons:1
Aux Systems: 1
Med Tech:0
Profession: Grunt +1 to Medical Tech and -1 to Handy work

Good enough? Oh and this picture sums up his faces appearance: http://1d4chan.org/images/thumb/c/c4/Komissar_by_kriegsmachine14.jpg/215px-Komissar_by_kriegsmachine14.jpg its the best and closest I could find.
That picture isn't working. If I were you I'd save it and then use it as an avatar from your pc.If that is your avatar, that is.

Watching Simus's strange behaviour gave Charro an excellent idea. He strode out into the middle of the room, surrounded by these 'monoliths', and spoke in his most commanding voice.

"Activate. ...Start? Go. Work! Start! ...Begin! Uhm, activate!" And so-forth.

>Tell this strange alien machinery to activate!

>Go through my vocabulary, using any words that I think could possibly work to activate it.

((Welcome! :) ))

You scream out every word in every language you know that has any connection to going, moving or otherwise activating. It doesn't do anything. Not happens, activates, moves, twitches or otherwise shows any signs that you are doing something useful. In fact, you haven't seen signs you're doing something useful for a long time.

Get soil and air samples.
You get air and soil samples from the area.

((Ive read up to page 100-ish and that was enough to get me to join Bay12 forums and this game.do i just go to the on ship thread?))
Yep, thats where ya go to wait for the next mission and do pretty much anything else you want to do on ship. Also, page 100 in 50 post per page or standard?

A few crazy thoughts run through Gorat's head. "I'll be back in a bit. Backtracking a few minutes to make sure I only endanger myself, if I do something that's even more stupid than the stupidity I'm thinking of, which shouldn't be dangerous. Probably won't do anything at all, really."

Go back along the path for about ten minutes, or until I reach the edge of the pitted lands, whatever occurs first. Move to the edge of the light path.

The amp allows manipulation of temperature, at least. But is it, in some way, capable of telling, measuring temperature? And capable of giving feedback on it? Unlikely, at a glance, but on the other hand, such control over temperature seems like it wants to have that information at hand...

Sit down. Concentrate on the amp, trying whether it can give feedback on the temperature of my surroundings, especially beyond the light path. No more than a foot away, though.
Well...you could know the temp of the area by changing it to be very hot or cold...But thats about it. Having the amp doesn't make you a thermometer, even though it does sense the temp of the stuff around you. You just can't really access that consciously. A manipulator can bring that up though.

Head upstairs. Investigate objects and alcoves visually. What is their purpose?
"We, uh, need the camera up here guys."
You look at the alcoves with Milno. [Int:2] All these holes...Suddenly you're thinking about May.

((@Tavik Toth Welcome to the HMRC! And yes, you just show up on the ship thread, as waking or just woken from the stasis. It goes on from there :) ))
Waking up, Maurice looks and listens, then, recognising no presence of immediate danger, checks his wounds and the teammates nearby.
Looks like we've reached the Tower. Half an arm for that, not too high a price. Though the burns probably indicate that these creatures have more than just razor-sharp limbs up their sleeves.
Stand up and look around. Take the air samples.
Sorry for being late. Have I missed anything major?
[end:5]
You stand up, ignoring your mangled legs, and look around. Yep, you're at the tower. Least it looks like a tower. Someone dragged you out right in front of it. Helpful. You swipe some air in a jar.

I... see. I'm sorry for being a hindrance, though grateful for saving me.
As for the tower, it sounds interesting. I accidently overheard some of your earlier discussion, how do you know that they navigate by sound? Though it would certainly make sense of their rather strange behavior back in the Pits area. I can't remember, though, did they purposefully make noises?

Check if my suit is able to play the audio recordings it is continuously making.

[aux:5-1]
Looks like it's possible but...you're not really sure how to do it...gotta be in one of these menus somewhere...

Get up to where Milno is and film everything, especially those objects.

"Presumably everything we were doing before wasn't loud enough to warrant attention, similar to background noise back on Earth. I don't think sand carries vibrations very well.

That said, the notion that they're tracking something other than sound is certainly a possibility."

You head up to Where milno is standing around, clearly impatient, and film the entire room and all the objects in it.

((How far from the Pits are we now, actually?))
Well, I know that sometimes sand forms thick, compressed mass that transmits and even resonates sound very effectively, but I'm not sure if that is the case here. Unfortunately, I don't remember much about this phenomenon, apart from its existance.
Also, is anyone here injured and in need of medical attention?

Maybe a half mile from the last pit.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:48 pm »

Run to where Thomas and Milno are.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: August 08, 2012, 09:56:59 pm »

Examine objects in more detail. What are they?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: August 08, 2012, 10:19:21 pm »

Grab an artifact, take notes. Repeat for other two. Take two of them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:29:47 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: August 08, 2012, 10:23:50 pm »

and objects then examine and collect them.
((Shouldn't Milno have examined and taken them already? D:))
Examine and collect all the objects around.

Take an artifact, take notes. Repeat. Take a few.
((There are only three.))
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:06:32 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: August 09, 2012, 04:47:54 am »

"Hmp, thought so. Maybe something to check on when we get back."

Hobble back to the Tower, with an eye out for anything that might make a sample that the group hasn't collected yet. Explore the inside of the Tower as well.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6237 on: August 09, 2012, 05:57:04 am »

Run to where Thomas and Milno are.
Your deviant senses are tingling! Thomas just thought about you! You immediately run all the way to the room he's in and burst in with a triumphant, "NEVER FEAR! MOLESTER-GIRL IS HERE!"

The blank stares tell you they're impressed.

Examine objects in more detail. What are they?
You take a close look at the objects so far as you can see them in the holes they're in.
The two in the ground look like a sandstone sphere and a branch from the razor trees, and th one in the wall like an exceedingly thin tablet made of sandstone.

and objects then examine and collect them.
((Shouldn't Milno have examined and taken them already? D:))
Examine and collect all the objects around.

Take an artifact, take notes. Repeat. Take a few.
((There are only three.))
Don't worry, I was just waiting till this turn since, time wise, the last turn saw you standing around impatiently waiting on faith.

[dex:5+1]
You snatch the branch from its hole first, but end up breaking off a part of it in your haste. You pick up the other end and examine them together. It looks like this particular specimen has been shaped into a cutting tool of some sort, like a small chisel.

Next you go for the sandstone sphere, plucking it up and rolling it in your hands. One side of it looks as though it's been scraped against something repeatedly.

[dex:6+1]
Lastly you grab the tablet from the wall alcove. It's made of the same sandstone, but so thin, seemingly just a few grains thick, that it's practically like paper, though immensely fragile. In fact, you can tell that even the act of picking it up has caused dozens of hairline fractures and cracks to appear in it's surface. It seems like putting it down might be a problem.

The tablet is covered in symbols, though not the same ones that you saw on the monoliths. These are all raised and follow neat vertical rows down the tablet.

Grab an artifact, take notes. Repeat for other two. Take two of them.
Milno seems to have taken all of them.

"Hmp, thought so. Maybe something to check on when we get back."

Hobble back to the Tower, with an eye out for anything that might make a sample that the group hasn't collected yet. Explore the inside of the Tower as well.
You walk back to the tower, keeping an eye out for trinkets. You don't see anything of particular value beyond the monoliths and they're far too large for you to carry. You make it to the inside of the tower and are confronted with 5 ramps and a choice of which to head up.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: August 09, 2012, 08:00:58 am »

Let Faith film the objects, proceed to carefully try to put them inside containers. Then keep exploring.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:40:00 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: August 09, 2012, 09:02:26 am »

"How far have you explored the Tower already? Which ramps, I guess?" Gorat asks his companions before deciding which ramp to take. Assuming he gets the answer that they have taken the fifth ramp to the first floor, he looks for a ramp to take him to the second and goes up there.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 1256