Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3826517 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 8: Steve, We've got a problem.
« Reply #12585 on: February 28, 2013, 02:42:00 am »

[handi:6-1] (Lucky bugger)

You get your makeshift rocket tied together and grab as much cable as you can easily carry, welding one end of the loose cable to your suit and putting a few loops of it around you, just in case. That done, you drag Jack and the rocket to the airlock and strap him to you with a length of cable, and you to the rocket with another. Foam canisters in hand, loops of cable wrapped around your arm and rockets at your feet, you open the outer door and shove yourself out.

[jack Aux:3+1]

Jack Activates the rockets at full burn and you're off like a comet. A comet made of frozen stupid. The Ship vanishes into a black speck after only a few seconds and you're suddenly very much adrift, with nothing but your hastily cobbled together rocket and your companion in the infinite black. You can only hear the sound of your breathing, and you focus everything on watching your HUD, watching as you close in on the path Miyamoto is tracing toward you.

Halfway there you use the canisters to spin yourself around, point the rockets in the opposite direction and burn to slow yourself down. You reach the path doing only a few km a second and use careful bursts of rockets and foam to align yourself. By the time you get yourself there you have less then a minute before Miyamoto's Point of no return.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #12586 on: February 28, 2013, 03:02:04 am »

(On the edge of my seat here...)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12587 on: February 28, 2013, 05:45:28 am »

((A comet of frozen stupid: Priceless.
I think it would have made more sense for me to keep accelerating to get closer to Miyamoto's speed but I guess in the end it wouldn't make much difference.))

I'm guessing the net plan has gone out of the window with so little time left, so... If possible have Steve project Miyamoto's path on my HUD like the outline of a battlesuit sized tube with a line in it (the line is supposed to be the battlesuit's center of mass). Tie the other end of the cable on my chisel to give me some extra mass. Jump towards Miyamoto's path (having Jack propel us with the foam if it will help) and then throw the chisel at his path, if I'm not already in it. Have Steve highlight us and the wire and chisel harpoon in Miyamoto's HUD if possible. Make my peace with Steve.

EDIT: Of course cut the wires holding me to the rocket with the monorazor if necessary.

"Geronimooo!"

((I hope you didn't get tired of waiting and that you enjoyed it. I know I did. And I'm sure piecewise liked having more time to work on Preplexicon ;). Now it's all on the dice. Live or die, I'll be happy. If I die then I'll become a stupid and tragic figure, that came within reach of its goal but failed at the last second. Perfect ending for a B-movie actor. If I live, well... I live. What's better than that? I like Flint too much and I'd hate to have to make another character.))
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:15:27 am by Parisbre56 »

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12588 on: February 28, 2013, 06:06:57 am »

((God speed boys, God speed.))
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12589 on: February 28, 2013, 12:30:01 pm »

((A comet of frozen stupid: Priceless.
I think it would have made more sense for me to keep accelerating to get closer to Miyamoto's speed but I guess in the end it wouldn't make much difference.))

I'm guessing the net plan has gone out of the window with so little time left, so... If possible have Steve project Miyamoto's path on my HUD like the outline of a battlesuit sized tube with a line in it (the line is supposed to be the battlesuit's center of mass). Tie the other end of the cable on my chisel to give me some extra mass. Jump towards Miyamoto's path (having Jack propel us with the foam if it will help) and then throw the chisel at his path, if I'm not already in it. Have Steve highlight us and the wire and chisel harpoon in Miyamoto's HUD if possible. Make my peace with Steve.

EDIT: Of course cut the wires holding me to the rocket with the monorazor if necessary.

"Geronimooo!"

((I hope you didn't get tired of waiting and that you enjoyed it. I know I did. And I'm sure piecewise liked having more time to work on Preplexicon ;). Now it's all on the dice. Live or die, I'll be happy. If I die then I'll become a stupid and tragic figure, that came within reach of its goal but failed at the last second. Perfect ending for a B-movie actor. If I live, well... I live. What's better than that? I like Flint too much and I'd hate to have to make another character.))

You scramble and tie one end of the cable to your Auto-chisel, Lock one arm around Jack, cut your connection to the rocket pods and then jump. You go sailing gently forward, a line flame retardant foam spraying out behind you. As the intercept timer runs down you hurl your auto-chisel turned lifeline back down into Miyamoto's path.
[dex:6]

It goes rocketing straight through the path; much farther then was necessary but in the immortal words of Lance Armstrong, "Fuck it, that's close enough."

All you can do is wait the last few seconds as the timer ticks down. At 9 seconds you see Miyamoto; nothing but a speck of flickering light. At 5 you can see a black dot riding a glowing corona. At 2 he's a black mass the size of your thumbnail, riding a candleflame.  And then he's past you, a glow of bright exhaust rapidly slipping away.  You have just enough time, as the length of cable vanishes in an instant, to realize just how fast he was going. And just how much this is going to hurt.

The cable tears three of the five loops you wrapped through your suit and then snaps taut, and you and Jack are gone.

[end:4+2]
[jack end:6]

Jack loses consciousness instantly; hard to tell why, maybe the acceleration, maybe the force of the impact snapped his spine, maybe all his organs have collected at the bottom of his suit, hard to say. Probably best not to think about. Your leg, where the cable was attached, is completely numb, probably broken, maybe worse. You're struggling to stay conscious, dazed and  having a hard time identifying exactly what the hell is going on. All you can see is the surface of the planet slowly rolling by under you. You blink and you're in Miyamoto's arms, the surface of that planet much closer, moving much faster. The edge of the world seems to be coming up. You blink again and you're all floating in the dark. You turn your head to see where the planet is, but there's nothing. You close your eyes.

Miyamoto takes a deep breath and pulls his arms out of the control cuffs and wipes the sweat from his forehead.

"Never again." he mutters to himself, watching the distant marker of the HMRC rescue shuttle slowly closing in. "Never again."

Somewhere behind him the UWM ship's signal abruptly cuts off and everything is quiet.

The little armada of shuttles returns to the Sword some time later, one dragging a dead shuttle that slams into the floor of the hanger as soon as it hits the Sword's gravity, and another towing Miyamoto and his cargo. The Hanger is swarmed with medics and technicians as the dead and dying are rolled out in their pods and Miyamoto hands off his  teammates to a few very baffled men with gurneys.

Mission 8 Completed !

Those of you in pods, wake yourself up in the other thread. Those of you not, continue to be awake in the other thread as well. 

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Ballet in the Deep Black.
« Reply #12590 on: February 28, 2013, 12:47:20 pm »

((YES! That was awesome! Thanks everyone (and especially Miyamoto)!

And as a warning for anyone catching up with this thread in the future: NEVER DO SOMETHING STUPID LIKE THAT. Just because I managed to survive (with a megaton of luck and much help from teammates), doesn't mean you should risk it. Always stick close to your teammates (especially the veterans), listen to their advice and do the smart thing. Remember kids: tokens are only good for you if you're alive.

And off to the other thread I go.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12591 on: February 28, 2013, 01:10:29 pm »

((At least you learned a valuable lesson and I'm slightly disappointed Milno was dying and unable to snark about what happened.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12592 on: February 28, 2013, 04:20:06 pm »

((You know, I think Simus got through with naught but superficial damage...

Great mission, everyone, and we are all now one step closer to making PW scramble to figure out what to do with people that make 10 and stay.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12593 on: March 08, 2013, 12:29:35 am »

Alright. Now that you're here, alone, with more limited supplies, things such as hunger, injury and death are going to have a greater effect. Keep this in mind.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #12594 on: March 08, 2013, 12:45:35 am »

Umm... lets see now...

wake up and cry due to nyars batraping my shins, head for the control room and wait for the AI to come online, try to find the controls for external sensor array and main view-screen then try to access the central server and read any status logs left by the previous expedition.

((if we temp die the "congratulations you're a moron, have a shiny new artificial organ" machine can give us complete robot bodies right?))
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:20:51 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12595 on: March 08, 2013, 01:11:20 am »

((Well then))

I guess time to see what is available. Michael goes to the armory and notates the contents along with the vehicles in the garage then goes and waits to boot up the AI.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:59:20 pm by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12596 on: March 08, 2013, 01:35:03 am »

((Alright then, here we go.))

"AP 1774... looks like even more of a barren dump than I thought it'd be. Well, nothing to it, I guess. Step one, take stock of the situation."

Perform cursory check of the outpost, noting anything unusual. Pay special attention to the contents of the armory, the garage, the lab, the medbay, and the kitchen, taking stock of all exhaustible materials. Make an ordered list of available things, with quantities, using the datapad.

If impossible to do in one turn, just keep at it, going through rooms in sequence. There's no "too thoroughly" or "too redundant" when checking survival supplies.

((On a different topic - PW, can you please check if my charsheet is correct?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Specifically the stats on the Red Hand and maybe some clarification to exactly what I plundered off those VR machines.))
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:46:19 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12597 on: March 08, 2013, 01:55:41 am »

"Ok guys, we're here and we'll be staying for quite a while, so best start getting used to it.

Bishop, I'd like you to go over our vehicles, check how many we have, whether they're operational etc.
Mesk, you go check the infirmary, see what we have on hand.
Simus, could you go see the labs and note what we have?

And the rest of you, go and get acquainted with the rest of the base, let me know if we're missing anything. We need to make an inventory first, you can fight about who gets top bunk later.

Oh, and nobody take anything from the armory, mkay?"

Go to central control room and check what we have there, also do this for the planning room. And stop anyone who tries to activate the AI.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:36:10 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12598 on: March 08, 2013, 01:59:01 am »

"i call top bunk"
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #12599 on: March 08, 2013, 01:59:41 am »

"Got it, boss.  No going back now..."
Head to the medbay and see what's up.
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1256