Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3825809 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: The Curse of Ivan Continues.
« Reply #15975 on: September 01, 2013, 01:56:11 am »

((I have a feeling that if it survived, Lars would attempt to steal it. Besides, bit too big to be portable, if I had to chop up a wall to get it outside.

I think Simus did pretty well. She wasn't really exploring much, but the work she did analyzing the samples is also fairly important, and the orders she gave at least made logical sense, to what degree might be debated (looking at you, Thear).))
((Yes, your orders made sense. We just had different priorities.

As one character I'm playing whose name starts with a "V" would say if he would speak his mind, "With the value of human life as it is here, if our job is to explore a dangerous planetoid, and we're half-way in without a single death, we're doing something wrong. And to be specific, we should be more aggressive in our exploration."))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15976 on: September 02, 2013, 06:56:10 am »

PTW

((After intensive reading, I've decided to be in - if there's spots open in this small army. Do I drop my character sheet here, or is that handled on the shipboard thread?))
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:58:22 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15977 on: September 02, 2013, 07:07:57 am »

((Put it in the ship thread. And yes, there are spots. Spotlight however, can be variable.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15978 on: September 02, 2013, 07:24:43 am »

((You make your own spotlight. All you have to do for it is do something notable.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15979 on: September 17, 2013, 03:01:38 pm »

Jim moves into position near the hangar, as indicated by Steve, and waits for further instructions.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15980 on: September 17, 2013, 03:08:32 pm »

Lars follows along after General Jim.  Upon arrival, he bows his head in prayer.

"O Most Holy Steve, we set out this day in service of your most Glorious Name.  We ask for your blessings as we serve you in this task of great violence.  O Ingram, may you guide our bullets to the hearts of our enemies.  O Vo-Nos, may our feet be a tribute to your speed, and may each swing of our blades and fists be a note in our holy chorus.  Wonderful Algis, may you ever shield us from the attacks of our foes.  Pathmas, may we ever be on your favor.

"In the name of Steve, amen."

Follow Jim.  Say prayers for our mission.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15981 on: September 17, 2013, 04:35:13 pm »

Get into position. Await go order.

"Bishop, Auron, get ready. Once we get going it's going to be a straight dash to that control room, make sure you don't fall behind.
Remember the plan: I distract them, you hose them down."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15982 on: September 17, 2013, 04:37:18 pm »

((Is my batlesuit inside the hangar? Those crewmen better not scratch the paint...))

@Miyamoto: "Staying still... Heh, that reminds me, staying still is a good way to ambush people. Remember the mining exosuits in the sharkmist colony? You're going to give those guys quite a scare when you suddenly start moving."

Flint approached the fourarmed synthflesh giant that was Jim. He stood there awkwardly for a moment. The man hadn't made the best impression to him when he met him in the sharkmist mission. However after reviewing the mission records his view of him had changed. He had gained a bit more respect and understanding about him. And even if he didn't respect him, Steve had chosen him as his commander, so if nothing else, he was going to give him the respect his position and his role in this revolution deserved. So in the end, he decided to make a small salute before speaking with words he remembered from those military films.

@Jim:"Ace of Clubs, sir! Flint Westwood, battlesuit soldier. I would like to make a tactical recommendation about our squad's formation, if you will allow me."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15983 on: September 17, 2013, 05:13:24 pm »

"Go ahead, Flint."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15984 on: September 17, 2013, 06:01:45 pm »

sure thing miyamoto, consider those sods dead and looted.

await go order.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:05:25 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #15985 on: September 17, 2013, 07:12:41 pm »

Form up with Jim and co.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15986 on: September 17, 2013, 08:15:45 pm »

"Go ahead, Flint."
"Well, it's very simple really, just some suggestions about our placement and equipment. Probably stuff you've thought about yourself. I've taken special care to covering our rear, because we'll be on a timer, hence there's a good chance we'll get enemies behind us while we hastily move forward.
While the Boss is with us, he should probably take the front (his defensive equipment is obviously superior) while me, you and Lukas cover the sides and the rear if necessary. It might be better if Miyamoto only acted as a defense and didn't use his offensive capabilities while we're crossing the gangway, since I'm pretty sure the things he's using could cut the gangway in half.
After we split up there's a few ways we could do this depending on whether or not you want to focus on stealth or defense and what we're watching out for.
In all those plans the MK3 users stay in the middle since they're the most vulnerable. Of course that doesn't mean they have to stay there. I'd also prefer it if you too tried to stay out of the line of fire during combat. While your armor will protect you from most projectiles, there's always a chance they'll be carrying lasers or get a lucky shot to your head or feet. It's not like you need a line of sight to use your powers anyway.
First plan is me ahead so that I can use my cameyes to identify threats and my armor to ignore them. You and Lukas guard our back and sides.
Second plan is you go first, since you're more stealthy and it's easier for you to check around corners without being detected, again using cameyes to distinguish soldiers from civilians. This will allow us to better prepare for encounters, should we have the luxury of time.
Then there's the defensive wedge, me and Lukas cover the front, the MK3's with the shields stand between and behind us while you obliterate whatever has caused us to turtle up. Of course, this leaves us vulnerable to attacks from behind.
Or if you're thinking that civilian casualties aren't a cause for concern you can have Lukas take the front. That Tesla arc in his mouth can obliterate anything in front of us.
My shield can be used in multiple ways: I can use it to protect us from attackers on higher ground. Two non-battlesuit-sized people should be able to carry one as mobile cover. Our two MK3 could use it as flying cover to cover themselves while they fly above the battlefield to reach superior positions (although that seems a bit dangerous since it will require good dexterity). Or I can simply use it to protect the rest of the team while we're moving.
Of course the above are guidelines. No plan survives contact with the enemy.
In short, I just want you to remember to take advantage of our different equipment to maximize the team's speed, defense and survival chances. While I have no problem with giving MY life for this fight, I'd prefer it if this wasn't a suicide mission for the rest of our comrades."

((I realized halfway through writing this that I wasn't telling you something you didn't already know, but by then I had already committed myself to witting this, so... sorry about this.))
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:20:45 pm by Parisbre56 »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15987 on: September 17, 2013, 08:23:44 pm »

(No, it's fine. RP is RP, I say. :P)

Jim nodded. "Valid points, although our group's goal is to blow through these guys as fast as possible - while not hurting civilians any more than absolutely necessary, and I mean that. We HAVE to get down that elevator before they have time to mount any sort of coordinated defense. That being said, what would you recommend for an all-out assault? I was thinking Lukas in the front as he has the heaviest armaments, followed by myself since I have these amps. Then you and Lars cover the sides while Mesk stays in the rear since he's primarily with us in case we need a medic."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15988 on: September 17, 2013, 08:41:19 pm »

Lars leaned forward.  "I, of course, bow to the chosen of Steve in regards to tactical decisions, but we must also consider what we are to while we hold our objective.  Do we have any idea what the area we will be securing looks like?  Is one of us able to block exits?  General Jim, are your divine miracles able to do this?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15989 on: September 17, 2013, 08:49:42 pm »

"Well, that seems like a valid plan. Although offense, in my opinion, depends much more on the kind of enemies we'll be up against and how they're stationed than defense. With defense you just got to give sufficient cover to each side, depending on the situation you're facing. Offense allows for much more elaborate or much simpler plans. That's why I think those plans are better left to be made in the field than beforehand.

Although I can suggest the most simple and effective method of all, if a little broad and all encompassing. Flanking. Get your enemy to focus on one side and then strike them from another. Our flyers allow us to place people behind cover. Smoke grenades allow us to conceal our movements, numbers and location and to blind our enemies. If we're fighting Sod Commanders we can retreat a bit to lure them to a better ambush spot. Our better armored team members can draw the enemy's fire. Hell, if the group we're facing have nothing better than Gauss guns you could just send me or Lukas in to deal with most of them with punches and electricity while the rest clear the stragglers.

Which reminds me, there's bound to be the rare heavy weapon and grenade or rocket in their arsenal. Anyone in the team noticing those should call them out to you so that you can return them to their sender, since they'll most likely be projectile based. And so that we can take them down, of course.

Oh, and another thing. Unless Sods are explicitly ordered to hunt for us by a Sod Commander, they'll just fire at us while we remain in their designated area and ignore us when we're gone, like we were never there. So in some situations, it might be better not to fight at all and simply plow through them, since the moment you move to the next room they'll stop attacking you.

And finally, our team has the advantage of being able to fly. I can carry Lukas and the MK3s can carry you. This allows us to quickly bypass obstacles or take advantage of vertical shortcuts.

Anyway, good to know that my teammates respect civilian life. We're fighting for them after all. I'm just trying to make that fight a bit quicker, a bit easier and a bit less messy with some advice."
Pages: 1 ... 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 ... 1256