Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Two thing to suggest: optional starting dwarf numbers and more immigrant control  (Read 12694 times)

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I say instead of asking for something complex at this point, we should keep it simple.  Merely reduce migrant numbers with an init option.  Make that the feature request, something simple that Toady doesn't have to spend days on.
If toady were decide that this request was important and needing address, it would probably be a year or more before we saw it anyway. If were playing the long game, I'd rather wait years and see more depth added to the game, because that's what I really like about it, rather then a short term balance thing. Modding and workarounds serve me just fine. This is how I imagine toady sees it.

Also, modifying the RNG via slider as it pertains to life in the map is something I'm very much against. Growing accustomed to it and making snap decisions based on experience is one of the subtle ways we grow as players, and I find that immensely rewarding. Having sliders for +/- 15 to hit and damage would ruin that for me. Sliders for event frequency is fine by me.

oggimog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, i hope i did not overread a suggestion like this. Maybe it would be possible to turn immigrants away / you have to accept their imigration. Maybe when you do it often less immigrants will come in future, because people know you don't want them. Maybe you can't turn away single dwarfs, but the whole wave if you don't want them.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile

I think if this is the way it's implemented it would be the entire wave comes or the entire wave treks back home. The ability to pick and choose just seems overpowered.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I think if this is the way it's implemented it would be the entire wave comes or the entire wave treks back home. The ability to pick and choose just seems overpowered.
I think the idea is to reduce the number of migrants. Or increase--I'd like to be able to increase my migration rate if I wanted to, even if I wouldn't. Naturally, there would be maximums to the number who could immigrate based on death rates and such, so you couldn't have whole fortresses migrate, kill most of them, sell their clothes, and keep the best smiths and soldiers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't read everything but I agree with everything NW_Kohaku said on the thread.

When you lose a soldier in the game, you shouldn't just go "meh, okay. I'll draft the cheesemaker into the military." that makes things just too easy. I don't remember ever caring about my dead dwarves because I know a wave of 10 dwarves will come to replace them anyway. We should have to work to get immigrants to our fort.

I mean, uh. "Hey dear immigrants. In case you didn't hear, we kill every immigrants who come to our fortress to keep the population under control. I thought after the last 15 dwarves who died in a suspicious way, dwarves would be reluctant to come here. Anywho, please move towards the suspicious looking bridge next to our fort. Thank you."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The general idea is good, but if you work hard you should be able to get dozens of migrants per year or season by...oh, year 2 or 3, maybe.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile

I didn't read everything but I agree with everything NW_Kohaku said on the thread.

+1

I want to play the game in NW_Kohaku's head, too.

Trebor1503

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like most agree in general with the way migration works. Thinking of the current gameplay how about this as a twofold fix...

Step 1, bring down all Migration waves after the first 2 by a factor of 10 (meaning most migration waves would be between 1-3 dwarves).

Step 2, add a 4th caravan carrying Dwarf indentured servants available for purchase depending on quality of skills. This way you could buy (for an outragous cost) the dwarves you want and players that don't want them can just send this caravan packing. Also, you could "order" skills for the next caravan, but at an increased price. The side affect would be that you would have something to spend money on after year 2 or 3 when I normally stop trading because I don't really need anything they are offering.

Up side, You get a few migrants, you can buy a few more if you wish, everyone except the very poor kingdoms are happy. I mean really, dwarves for the most part don't like to venture above ground... doesn't it make more sense that they would have to be dragged from one fort to another becaue they got into trouble/drank themselves broke/fought the wrong son of a noble.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably not a permanent solution, but it's probably a good one to start with.
Sig

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I like Trebor's idea, but for anyone to be willing to actually pay for migrants, they'd have to much much rarer (like he said, waves of 1-3 migrants typically).  And those should be peasants for the most part.  Add some mechanics that will kill off more dwarves, and we'll be thanking armok for those migrant waves, instead of cursing them, like we do now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or have migrants generated like now and have the guys you can buy have skills you can ask for. Obviously, skilled dwarves would be much more expensive than peasants.
In response to the "this is how to make people want to buy dwarves," BTW.
Sig

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it sounds good enough since I'm actually willing to pay to get rid of migrants right now. Hey, I wish this was a feature.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]