Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hermaphrodites  (Read 5875 times)

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hermaphrodites
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:18:36 pm »

A stupid, simple, idea. Hermaphrodite should be a tag that when added to a creature makes it both male and female, good for snails and snailmen

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Hermaphrodites
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:41:09 pm »

... and worms and sponges, and possibly plant-creatures, as well.

I guess this could be easy-ish to implement in theory - you'd basically just consider them females that simply need any other member of their species on the map to trigger pregnancy (or just search for two of that creature type), provided they are in the same caste, although it might get... very strange if you apply this to a caste amidst other castes that have male or female tags. 

Which is presumably part of the reason that Toady has not done this already (aside from presumably not caring about the mating habits of worms in general)... although making [HERMAPHRODITIC] creature-level and overriding of other gender tokens might solve the problem in a simple solution, as that prevents caste-level redefinitions so that if any member of the species is a hermaphrodite, all creatures of the species are hermaphrodites. 

Otherwise, there might be strange implications for if someone decides to make a third civ species (I.E. dwarf) caste of hermaphrodites, and how that would play out in terms of the marriage mechanics.

There is also the issue of self-fertilization.  Some creatures shield themselves from self-fertilization, but some creatures, and I believe this applies mostly to plants, are capable of fertilizing themselves, and have no particular defenses against that. 

If we are going to talk about hermaphrodites being added and self-fertilization, as well, though, there's also the matter of parthenogenesis, which is where females' eggs functionally self-fertilize.  (Which is technically not the same as a hermaphrodite fertilizing their own eggs, it's purely the eggs own self-fertilization.)  Parthenogenesis is extremely rare among vertebrates, but common among invertebrates such as insects, as well as, again, some plants.   

As the wikipedia article shows, there's actually a species of lizard that is all-female, and parthenogenesis-based.  They technically aren't clones, as there is genetic variation based upon the way in which the genetics of eggs are already pseudo-randomized in meiosis.  (Unless the eggs were produced in mitosis, in which case, they are clones.  WHEE! Complication!)

A queen bee will also lay eggs that self-fertilize if she has access to no drones to sexually fertilize her.  These will be male, due to the way bees use chromosomes in a different manner than our standard "XY" system of chromosomes.

Isn't it funny how a little bit of facts and knowledge can turn even the simplest of things complicated?  Nature is so much Fun.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:45:12 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 05:30:19 pm »

There are a number of species that don't fit the male female classification as implimented in the game. The way to aproach the issue, IMO, is on an as needed basis. Whenever a species is added to the game that doesn't fit the existing caste system, the system should be expanded to allow for the special case.

Toady reciently finished the animal sponcership drive, but has said that for some of the animals he would have liked to do more. More complicated genders would be an example of such a change. So if there is a specific animal that's in the game that doesn't accurately model it's mating behavior, it's worth pointing it out so that the change could eventually be made. Eventually will be a long time though.

Adding new animals are an even lower priority than that.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:17:58 pm »

Nobody is talking about adding new animals; Snails, slugs, worms, and sponges all exist already.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:39:49 pm »

That was in there for compleatness.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 04:32:17 pm »

Nobody is talking about adding new animals; Snails, slugs, worms, and sponges all exist already.
And we don't need hermaphrodite animals in the vannila version of DF, a working tag system would suffice.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 04:43:37 pm »

UristMcVeryThirsty cancels drink: river sucked dry by giant spongeplosion

Also, breed sponges for training dummies

+1 to hermaphrodites.

EDIT: IIRC, sponges aren't hermaphrodite. They just clone themselves.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:47:09 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 04:46:13 pm »

UristMcVeryThirsty cancels drink: river sucked dry by giant spongeplosion

Which would, amusingly enough, air-drown them all and kill them off for you.

And we don't need hermaphrodite animals in the vannila version of DF, a working tag system would suffice.

Could you explain what you mean by this?  What do you consider "a working tag system"? 

(And technically, animals in vanilla DF already are hermaphrodites, they just aren't represented in the game as such.)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 10:18:41 pm »

Snail Men... Wouldn't that have to be renamed somehow for the sake of clarity.  I was always fond of monster instead of men. 

A Snail monster is oozing your way. Hurry, get the power washer to clean the goo covered roads.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 10:26:25 pm »

What's the word you use for hermaphrodites, then?

Snail Shman? Snail Feman? Snail Oman?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 10:55:31 pm »

"ACH! ARCHERS TO THE WALLS! THE SNAIL SHMEN ARE COMING!"

Don't mind me, it just made me chuckle.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 11:12:12 pm »

Just make it a result of adding both [MALE] and [FEMALE] to a creature.

Alternatively, make it possible to define cross-species breeding and its products in the raws, such as with mules.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 01:03:33 am »

Snail person, duh. :P
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 07:11:30 am »

One "simple" solution might be to add a [REPRODUCES_BY_FISSION] token or somesuch, then worry about hermaphrodites that don't self-fertilize once we know how it'll work.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 05:05:49 pm »

Snail person, duh. :P

Awww, but that's not as funny!

You shmucky shman, you!
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2