Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Am I the only one who actually LIKES the ASCII?  (Read 33946 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one who actually LIKES the ASCII?
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2012, 07:25:42 pm »

Well, what do you think? I responded to something beneath your image, didn't I?

And if you didn't care for my response, you would not have responded. Just saying.

Whatever. If you're going to be unreasonable and rude, I'm done.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2012, 08:53:04 pm »

YAHTZEE.

pedroislander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2012, 09:22:07 pm »

ASCII graphics are my preferable choice. All the popular graphics sets are pretty epic, and mixing sets with TileGenie is neat too but I always bounce back to the beloved ASCII.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2012, 10:15:01 pm »

Maybe I'm lazy[1], maybe I'm an Elitist Bourgeois Pig-dog ANSI-like Lover, but I've never really played around with tilesets to any significant amount.

Which means that when someone posts an alternate-tilesetted printscreen, I'm often not a little lost for the fine detail.  Which is not to say that I wouldn't immediately be able to tell the difference between a goat and a particular type of goblin, or a gosling and another type (something that the default would, and does, cause trouble with), but I reckon that unless it's a particularly well-drawn tileset across all the other visible features, that I might well have problems with something else depicted even if (perchance) I can quite clearly see that it's a small anseriniform, something definitely caprinous or a vicious-looking unnatural creature holding an identifiable weapon.

When playing the game, in either Adventure or Fortress mode, I suppose I could suffer a tileset, because I could pause it and check it the full details of an unknown image.  Because I do that with the default graphics, anyway, and no tileset could possibly reveal that on this particular garbage dump there's 192 lumps of raw sandstone, 19 assorted bits of vermin remains, some wilted plants, a rather badly damaged sock and a marble door that I've unforbidden but hasn't yet been returned to service after an ignoble and forced removal from its prior locale...

Basically, as an abstraction, ASCII/ANSI-like/Codepage-whatever 'graphics' do it for me, as well, and I've not yet been tempted by the (admittedly, almost always nice-looking) alternatives that have doubtless been slaved over by people much more talented (or patient) than I in the graphical arts...

TL;DR; - Graphics packs are just not (yet) for me.  But I can see their value.

[1] Although I will change to value-depths for liquids, set up all seasonal/on-embark auto-saves and have been known to modify the inter-cavern gaps, but am generally lazy about doing anything else to the defaults.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2012, 10:22:45 pm »

I'm getting the vibe that Vherid doesn't actually know what a tileset is.

I was going to go through and explain tilesets and why they are the logical choice over ASCII, but meh. Why do it, he is just going to go off on another rage at me either way.

I'll just throw out there that ASCII is a set of predetermined 128 characters. Unless those 128 characters are the perfect 128 and could not be improved in any way possible, tilesets are superior.

This makes sense once you realize what a tileset is.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:24:53 pm by Rex_Nex »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2012, 10:25:23 pm »

how so? the post he made before he went all LALALA I'M NOT LISTENING I DON'T CARE made perfect sense

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2012, 10:27:20 pm »

Edited my message. It'll take me a long time to go out and explain tilesets, how he misquoted me, etc., and I am not really feeling it today, so sorry if I'm not being precise about it.

Also, a little edit in, I'd like to say that I also realize (and I've stated this in my first post here, saying ASCII does look good) that ASCII might be a logical choice because no current tileset is looks good to you. Okay, that is a good point. I'm arguing that tilesets have much more potential then ascii simply because they can be as close or as far from ASCII as you'd like.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:45:49 pm by Rex_Nex »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]