Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Am I the only one who actually LIKES the ASCII?  (Read 33887 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one who actually LIKES the ASCII?
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 09:11:30 am »

Hi!

I am with the ASCII crowd, but I do not mind if others play the game with graphics tiles, sprites, 3D polygons, or whatever, as long as there is still an option to have (fake) ASCII. I have seen a few tilesets, and I always found them to be more confusing than anything else. Besides, with just the letters there on the screen, I am forced to use my imagination to see that herd of elephants my newbie adventurer should probably leave alone. And I don't mind 'l'ooking at things in adventure mode, since there are the detailed descriptions that tell me the general looks of the creature, whether it is fat or slim, which hair color, eye color and whatnot it has.

Actually, I got so used to the old ASCII version, that I have a stretched version of the standard tileset (height doubled), which I always use as the latest versions do not seem to stretch the tiles anymore. I tried to play with square tiles, but it simply seemed wrong to me. But once I got my stretched tiles again, I felt at home.

In the end, humans are weird critters, and just as what we do in DF differs a lot, I guess the way we want to have it presented also differs - so no need for fighting :) :) :) :)

Yours,
Deathworks

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 09:19:37 am »

ASCII is best. Tilesets and stuff are stupid for me and seem wrong way to play game. Toady gave us ASCII, we should play it that way.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2012, 09:41:49 am »

While there are some pretty neat tilesets out there, I think I still prefer the (not-)ASCII. After all, it's the reference implementation (almost) everybody is familiar with and pretty easy to interpret with some practice. Some tilesets have monsters that are just as unidentifiable as the mysterious g or, even worse, look like terrain, and some have a bit too "chibi" feel to them.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 09:54:05 am »

It's kind of odd...in the pre-tileset days, I played in ASCII but always turned off the "grass texture" (commas and apostrophes) so that everything was periods, because it was too visually confusing.

Then I got into using the Dystopian Rhetoric tileset for quite some time. After the 2010 release, I couldn't be bothered to set up a tileset again, and just starting playing with native ASCII again. Now I use ASCII exclusively, and don't even turn off the grass.

I don't even use visualizers like Stonesense, although I probably should at least take a look just after embark, so I can plan my fort better to account for terrain.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2012, 10:34:06 am »

It's kind of odd...in the pre-tileset days, I played in ASCII but always turned off the "grass texture" (commas and apostrophes) so that everything was periods, because it was too visually confusing.

Yeah, part of my problem is that the ASCII/437 stuff is too visually confusing, when you have a g or a l, or even something like the or amidst all the .',"⌠'l⌠.♣',

If you were just sweeping your eyes over it while scrolling along, could you find Waldo the masked lovebird man?

Visual aesthetics aside, at least you can tell a graphic tile is different from its neighbors at a glance.

It's like everyone assumes the only options for graphical tilesets are Phoebus and Ironhand, but really, you can make graphical tilesets that are still as abstract as the original code 437, but cleaner and more visually distinct.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2012, 11:45:48 am »

I have been playing with the faux-ASCII default interface for years now.  I'm so used to it I can't tell what I'm looking at when someone shows me a screenshot taken with a graphical tileset.
Ha! Me, too. I'll have to stare at the screen for a while to figure it out. I especially hate it when its someone posting how to do something that I want to do.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2012, 01:12:52 pm »

So instead of a quick glance telling me "Oh turds my brewer is right next to that snake man and about to die" I have to sit there and wait for all of that to click. It's a small delay, but a few seconds is life and not all dwarves are expendable.
That's your problem with not being able to deal with ASCII/not knowing ASCII then, not a general problem with ASCII.

No, it actually *is* an issue with the ACSII. It isn't capable of giving me the information I need at a quick glance. Even you, an ASCII fan, could not tell me with just a glance at a character what it is.

My tileset can.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2012, 01:27:59 pm »

Hi!

While I still consider the ASCII vs. graphics issue one of preference and personal taste, I want to point out to you, Vanaheimer, that your example seems rather unlikely:

1. Dwarves usually flee from visible potential hostiles
2. This will create an announcement mentioning the hostile
3. That announcement can be used to center the map on the approximate location of the hostile.
4. Since when were you able to respond to anything in real time in dwarf mode? As far as I know, you designate areas, tell them to build things and maybe give them military orders - but things only happen when and if the dwarves decide to actually do them. So, a dwarf next to a hostile is dead meat no matter what you do.

Anyhow, this is an endless debate that has been done before. Each side has proponents who really love their way of doing things, meaning that both ways of playing the game are possible and usable, depending on your personality etc. So, I really suggest to go for a live-and-let-live attitude rather than an endless mine-is-better-than-yours-on-an-absolute-scale.

Yours,
Deathworks

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2012, 01:37:11 pm »

I play with the default graphics. I found its just easier to get to know what it comes with and use that instead of upgrading every new version and waiting for a the graphic set I was using to update.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2012, 02:02:16 pm »

No, it actually *is* an issue with the ACSII. It isn't capable of giving me the information I need at a quick glance. Even you, an ASCII fan, could not tell me with just a glance at a character what it is.
Perhaps because you didn't place the location of the character in question.

Besides, that's completely unrelated to what you said. You said that you had to pause for a few seconds to realize your dwarves are in danger. That's unrelated to knowing what profession the darn dwarf is or what kind of creature the s is.

My tileset can.
I detect favoritism.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2012, 02:05:36 pm »

As for the "Not enough ASCII" problem, I still say that Toady should look at the International Phonetic Alphabet and uses some of its letters for tiles. He already does use a few, like /ç/

/ɥ β ʌ ɯ ɛ ɟ ŋ ɲ ʃ ʒ ɕ ʑ ʎ ø ɜ ɾ ɫ ɐ ɤ/

Boom, those could probably be useful for something.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:09:11 pm by Chagen46 »
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2012, 02:17:12 pm »

As for the "Not enough ASCII" problem, I still say that Toady should look at the International Phonetic Alphabet and uses some of its letters for tiles. He already does use a few, like /ç/

/ɥ β ʌ ɯ ɛ ɟ ŋ ɲ ʃ ʒ ɕ ʑ ʎ ø ɜ ɾ ɫ ɐ ɤ/

Boom, those could probably be useful for something.

some of those are already used, I see some leather and some thread
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:20:45 pm by dizzyelk »
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2012, 02:29:50 pm »

Clearly Toady needs unicode.  Let's see some arabic or those crazy complicated Chinese hanzi characters.

We'll basically never run out of unique characters to use for creatures, then.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2012, 02:41:12 pm »

Hi!

Clearly Toady needs unicode.  Let's see some arabic or those crazy complicated Chinese hanzi characters.

We'll basically never run out of unique characters to use for creatures, then.

Mmmhhhh,
猫猫猫猫猫猫
looking good :) :) :) :) :)

Yours,
Deathworks

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2012, 02:55:58 pm »

猫猫猫猫猫猫
looking good :) :) :) :) :)

Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11