Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cobalt - Oxeye's new game  (Read 2252 times)

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
Cobalt - Oxeye's new game
« on: December 16, 2011, 03:27:21 pm »

Looks like the Alpha of Cobalt, a new game made by Oxeye, is finally available! Though, for 9.95€.
Get it here: http://playcobalt.com/

Quote from: Cobalt
Cobalt is an awesome platform game featuring several game modes in both local multiplayer and in singleplayer. Cobalt comes with a game editor where players can create their own maps and adventures. Cobalt is ALSO a platform game engine that can be used to create new modes or completely new games.

Quote from: Cobalt
Space Exploration > Cyborgs
Metalface MK1

A highly reliable cyborg for long missions with low chance of succcess. Loved for its upstanding morale, positive attitude and charming eyes!

Brains Eligible:
    Aged 15-95 years
    Both male and female!
    Mentally healthy
    Bodily shortcomings not a problem!

Package Includes:
    Memory wipe of past life! (Optional)
    A guaranteed adventure!
    A second chance!

The following voids warranty:
    Rolling
    Use of jet shoes indoors
    Changing radio channel
    Utilizing jet bikes
    Compressing leg joints
    Unsanctioned tapping of the feet
    Walking against conveyour belts
    Using the Sloth-Grip™ hands for Climbing
    Throwing boomerangs
    Opening the eye-utility hatches

Pictures:

Videos:
Teaser
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:55:35 pm by Meta »
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Cobalt - Metalface MK1
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:48:58 pm »

I've been wanting this since the first trailer. I'll probably be playing this within the week.

Word of advice: If you're at all concerned that Oxeye will run out of money and stop development or something, they're backed by Mojang. Seriously, do yourself a favor and buy this while it's cheap.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 05:00:58 pm »

Note that this game is made by Oxeye in collaboration with Mojang. Give credit where it is due.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 05:32:26 pm »

You're right! Corrected!

So, first thoughts. There are three game modes: CTF, Deathmatch and Survival. For the moment I quite like the deathmatch with some bots (2 to 3, not more) to train myself. And it's hard. On close-combat the bots are unbeatable, with their insta-kill taser shot. Keep your distance! And be aware that the bots will deflect your shots. Try to shoot them in the back!

As soon as I'll master the deathmatch I'll try to play some more Survival.

For now there are no keybindings options (or I did not find them), so you're better playing with a plugged xbox controller. *facepalm*
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
Re: Cobalt - Oxeye's first game
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 06:38:19 pm »

Great! Have been looking forward to this for a while. 1 question and point though
Q: What is everyone's first impressions?
And the point I would like to make is that Oxeye game studio's have 3 other games, it is not the first one
  • Harvest: Massive ecounter
  • Dawn of Daria
  • Strategist
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Cobalt - Oxeye's new game
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 09:47:27 pm »

The trailer makes it look soldat like, can anyone describe what gameplay feels like, and what direction it will be going?
Thank you based dwarf.

Fiskav

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 01:23:21 am »

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:41:25 am by Fiskav »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 08:49:47 am »

The trailer makes it look soldat like, can anyone describe what gameplay feels like, and what direction it will be going?

It plays a bit like Spelunky meets Cortex Command. It's a platformer with upgradeable weapons and a wide variety of enemies. It is very well programmed and shows a lot of polish for an alpha. Survival mode is open already but campaign is not.

Only a simple mind can be certain.