Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Poison on weapons science  (Read 25098 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Poison on weapons science
« on: April 03, 2012, 06:12:18 am »

I was playing adventure mode with my bronze colossus, but he got molested by a single lasher wielding an iron whip.
Anyway, i fled from the towers surrounding the town i was in, and i ran... straight into the marketplace.
I got swarmed by merchants, and being just a giant bronze sponge (D:) i cant do much. So i modded myself some reactions.
I breath some kind of venom, and i look around for the effects. i see a knife that has a colossus venom covering on it.
This gave me an idea.
What if you could put alot of weapons in a room, split in three in fortifications, one side a FB or clown, the middle alot of weapons and the other a bait noble animal. The FB breathes his gas/vapor attack on the bait animal, and the weapons get a poison covering. These weapons can then be used by your (glove-wielding) military, giving everybody syndromes.

Observations so far:
  Covering circumstances:
    Vapor attacks make vapor covering on weapons. (held or on ground)
    Dust covering are identical to vapor coverings
    Gas attacks do not make coverings on weapons.
    Attacking(edge) with a sword that has venom on it, may cause the venom to be replaced with blood on the sword.
    Water washes coverings off weapons/gear.
  Self-safety:
    Weapons with coverings do not inflict syndromes when carried. (gloves or not)
    Armor with coverings on it will not inflict the syndrome when you wear it.
    Licking an object that has venom covering on it does NOT inflict the syndrome. (that is, you lick the sword, not you drink the venom from the sword)
    Swimming trough water that has a smear of the venom in it does not induce the syndrome.(SYN_CONTACT)
    Walking trough smears of venom do not induce the syndrome.(SYN_CONTACT)
    Carrying bolts/arrows that have venom on them does NOT inflict the venom
  Transferring syndromes:
     Slashing with a sword that has [SYN_CONTACT](aka most venoms) venom on it transfers the syndrome (unless 'the severed part flies off in an arc')
     Syndromes that have SYN_CONTACT will be transferred when slapping with a sword, so i assume also when hitting with a hammer.
     Syndromes that have SYN_CONTACT will NOT be transferred when striking with the pommel of a sword.
     Venom with SYN_INJECTED(aka GDS, GCS, cave spider, most snakes) CAN be injected using sword stabs/slashes!
     Venom that has SYN_CONTACT will be injected by bolts. (as expected)
     Hammers coverd in deadly dust do not explode when you hit somebody with tehm

These observations make me believe that spatterings are on the head of the weapon, and not on the grip, also, i used swords because they have edge+blunt attacks, so when i say 'slapping with a sword' that means just about every blunt attack, and 'stabbing' or 'slashing' means edge attacks. Also, blowdarts and bolts can also be used for this purpose. Further testing is still required to make more knowledge. (and earn more money from bets)

EDIT:
Whoops, forgot dragonblood, i'll try soon.
EDIT2:
Redesigned thread
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:59:17 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Poison knives?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:57:55 am »

I don't know if weapons covered in contact or inject syndromes can actually infect their victims, but it certainly would be interesting to find out.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:09:38 am »

I don't know if weapons covered in contact or inject syndromes can actually infect their victims, but it certainly would be interesting to find out.
I'll do some arena tests, just after i get my adventure mode syndrome to not crash the game.
It doesnt have to be injected tough, very few venoms are actually injected, a contact venom may work much better.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:16:42 am »

I'll do some arena tests, just after i get my adventure mode syndrome to not crash the game.
It doesnt have to be injected tough, very few venoms are actually injected, a contact venom may work much better.

I think contact syndromes DO work if you can get them onto a weapon.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:27:27 am »

I think contact syndromes DO work if you can get them onto a weapon.
Venom breathing BC, activate!

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:33 am »

Here's a little thread I made earlier, way, way earlier, on the subject where I believe a rutherer catches a syndrome from a pick covered in FB extract.

There was a bit of contention as to whether or not the poison on the weapon actually could have affected the rutherer, but let me tell you from my point of view there was no other way it could have happened, and the results were reproducable.

Also from the same thread:
Did you know that animal men poison their blowdarts? Do you know how that's done? The blowdarts have venom coverings. Maybe it doesn't work with melee weapons. I doubt it wouldn't.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 07:31:39 am »

PTW
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 07:39:36 am »

Well KodKod, thats why i am testing.
EDIT:

You were right!
The syndrome is transferred!
I will now test on covering weapons that are laying on the floor.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:44:01 am by miauw62 »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Poison on weapons science
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 07:43:45 am »

Vapor works. I've done it in the arena with contact syndromes from modded creatures.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:45:41 am »

Does the creature wielding the weapon also get affected if they aren't wearing gloves?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 07:46:27 am »

Vapor works. I've done it in the arena with contact syndromes from modded creatures.
Thanks, a bit less to test.
Intrestingly, i had inflicted the syndrome, but the effects were not visable until i accidently kicked the dwarf (less scrolling :P )and gave him an extra dose.
(yes, i have a bronze colossus that breathes venom and that also makes venom when he kicks somebody. :3 )
Tough i am using pain right now, so it may be better to use something more noticeable.
to above: i will test soon.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 07:48:22 am »

Will this also work for boiling blood? ie: weapons covered in boiling blood cause burning/melting on contact with target?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 07:49:46 am »

Will this also work for boiling blood? ie: weapons covered in boiling blood cause burning/melting on contact with target?
That would be intresting, i still have to test with liquid tough, im doing just vapor atm, gas is out already because it doesnt spatter.
but blood will probably be the thing used for liquid.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 07:49:55 am »

If i remember correctly toxic or hot blood (dragon blood) will also make weapons this form of weapon. Dragonblood coated weapons will/did have the blade at the temp of magma without killing the dwarf holding it, though any armour like a boot covered in the blood would kill your dwarf
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 07:54:42 am »

Is it possible to set up a system a lot like the GCS harvesting factory where instead of webs, it's poison gas/extract/etc and it sprays onto weapons when the dwarf (hopefully blind(or military)) is safe behind two rows of fortifications? and the weapons are in the line of fire, and then to stop dwarves from dying by walking through the poison to collect the weapons, wash down the room therefore cleaning the place from poison, but still keeping the poison on the weapons?

tl;dr will water wash the poison off the weapon?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5