Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lakehome: A new fort  (Read 5635 times)

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
Re: Lakehome: A new fort
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 08:46:31 am »

Winter has arrived.

We had some more migrants arrive (5 again).
Kivish and her husband Sazir arrived, with one of her 3 children with them.
And Stodir and his wife Meng came as well.

Meng is a comptetent stonecrafter as well as novice beekeeper, but nobody else has professions that will make a huge difference.
Kivish has been assigned to Furnace duty, and will be gathering plants from the surface with the rest of her time.
Meng was told to help with any stone detailing that needs doing (minimal), and do wait for a few hives and a bee tower to be constructed.
Sazir has been put in charge of the wood furnace and assorted soap making duties.
Stodir is helping with any mason work until more picks are made.

The caravan arrived, but just as they showed up, a Black Mamba jumped out at them.  It was swiftly dealt with by the lone swordsman, but in the confusion, they stepped back into the neighboring zone.
There will be no trading this year it seems.

Thankfully the first nest boxes have been finished, and will soon be set up for the hens to use.  Between eggs and the farms built, there should be plenty of food generation.
A still has been built as well, but getting a well in place will be a top priority.

-----------------------------------

Time for real life.  I'll continue this later!

Thankfully the first nest boxes have been finished, and will soon be set up for the hens to use.  Between eggs and the farms built, there should be plenty of food generation.
A still has been built as well, but getting a well in place will be a top priority.

-----------------------------------

Dafuq?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 11:49:22 am »

I feel like making a badger army.
Enjoy the badgerstorm

wyldmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 05:54:33 pm »

A full year has passed since our drunken merry band arrived here.
Despite the caravan issues, the liason stuck around to ask me what I'd like to see next year.

We have completed the areas for the dining hall, workshops, and bedrooms.  14 rooms have beds, with 28 dug out in total.  The dormitory has another 14 beds for any new arrivals.  Our population remains at 17, and with two married couples sharing rooms, only 1 dorf hasn't found himself a room yet.
Atir (our stonecrafter) is the unlucky one, but this will be rectified soon.

The foundations for a tower to house our beehives in has been begun, and a borehole was dug down to the first cavern level!  The initial hole missed though, and a passageway was required (thankfully the first one worked).  The hole was capped with some fortifications, and the dwarves have begun using the local cave moss to pretty up the burrows in the clay level.

Digging has begun on a secure location for the depot.  Our first caravan this year (if they come) will be the Elves, so I'm not worried about them pathing to it.  This gives me all season to finish the construction so that any arriving Human caravan is able to find it.

The final project being worked on is pathways over the water.  While there isn't much dwarven need for this, it may encourage wildlife to wander around more.  Cage traps are being built to take advantage of this, although there have not been many beast sightings yet that would make good pets.  Maybe I'll get lucky and see an Alligator find their way into one.  That could be FUN.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 05:58:27 pm »

A whole year and not even goblin snatchers?

HoHooooohohohoo this is a good sign.

Also bees.

Don't set more than one beekeeper, or things get buggy.

Bees are cool.

wyldmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 08:36:11 pm »

Summer arrived!
Still no sign of any hostiles (except those Alligators that were here, but they've wandered off).

The Elves did show up, and I traded for all of their wood, two bins of cloth, some alcohol, empty barrels, some food, and a Giant Moth (male).  Mostly for the novelty, as it cannot be trained for war.

In even bigger news though, there was another wave of migrants.  28 of them!  All of a sudden my little fort is packed full of dwarves.  The miners are panicked, trying to dig out additional living space (11 spare rooms was not enough), while Rovod labors away making beds.
Several more novice farmers, rangers, and fisherdwarves showed up, along with two dwarves that are highly skilled.

Moldath Monomzithis is a Master Weaponsmith with strong social skills, and novice ranger training.  He has one troll kill to his name, despite nearly no combat aptitude at all.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

His wife, Mafol Ostarushrir is even more amazing.  She is a Great Miller, and novice Fisherdwarf.  She has similarly high social skills, and is an adept Swordsdwarf.  However, her husband's weapons must be truly amazing, because she has one hundred and forty seven kills to her name!  We shall see how she fares against Goblins and other bringers of FUN.

The myriad of other newcomes have been given bags for plant gathering, mason tools, or are assisting with farming/smelting until I make further plans.
The barracks is in place, and Mafol shall begin training a handful of swordsdwarves while her husband fashions some copper swords.
Speaking of which, I need more copper.  Since the north-western land has obsidian pebbles on the surface, I have sent one tunnel in that direction, and have found some obsidian beneath the surface.  Our central staircase has reached the caverns, and arrow slits were placed into the walls allowing additional exploration from relative safety.  The top-most level of the cavern is 13 stories below the surface, giving me 10 levels to freely work with (plus 2 more that have the lake or wet stone).  There is plenty of Garnierite, Galena, and Silver within the explored areas, but so far I haven't found any ores of copper or iron.  The flux stone is supposed to be in the southwest, so I will keep the tunnel I started going until it reaches there, and hopefully I will have some luck!

wyldmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 02:40:16 am »

Autumn 252
Well, Lakehome has finally seen some action.

A named beast appeared on the map (mere tiles from an unlucky dwarf).
The Weremonitor Child, Cadi Atthemscola.  It is a large monitor twisted into humanoid form.  It is crazed for blood and flesh.  Its eyes glow lime.  Its raw umber scales are large and set far apart.
It succeeded at biting Kib Mesirkosoth twice before it reverted into human form and fled the map.

Kib has been promptly diagnosed, and requires cleaning, dressing, and is suffering from mild blood loss.  His grasp is impaired, and there is some damage to his motor nerves.  He should make it, but is going to be kept in isolation when the next full moon approaches.

Additionally, just after the Attack of the Terrible Weremonitor Child, my first goblins showed up.  Or snuck up.  A band of 5 goblin thieves tried to get into the fortress and make off with the young.  A pair of cage traps deterred two, and Atir Belalerith (the stonecrafter) bumped into another two.  The fifth one was running late, and managed to catch a quickly refilled cage trap, leaving me with 3 caged goblins and a wounded stonecrafter.
He requires cleaning, dressing, and crutches.  He currently is unable to stand, has partial broken tissue, and an infection (goblins need to clean their weapons better).  I HAVE NO SOAP.

Now begins a race to see if I can finish the soap assembly in time to prevent further damage.  Two of the needed workshops are already in place, and an Ashery has been queued for construction.  Mebzuth Ezumzaneg has been tasked in charge of Soap and Lye production and nothing else.  She came in with the Spring wave of migrants, and has novice training in lye production already.

More bad news - there was still no human caravan, but that just means I will have more goods available for the dwarves from The Mines of Attacking later this season.
The good news was another healthy wave of migrants.  16 new dwarves arrived, with 3 of particular skill.
Erith Likotabsam is a Great Weaponsmith (but will be relegated to other duties as long as Moldath is doing well).
Her husband, Udib Thakzaneg is a Great Wood Burner (woo?) and novice Fisherdwarf.  Likewise, his strengths will not be put to effective use for now (although once the current emergency is over, he will be in charge of the wood furnace).
Finally, Likot Eriblolok is a Great Animal Dissector.

I'm pretty sure why the Mountainhome sent these 3 to me.  They weren't helping out much back there!  Nevertheless, they are all socially skilled, and are at least more help than harm out here on the frontier.

In other good news though, my mining expedition managed to find some copper amongst the obsidian (AFTER digging all the way to the South and finding only Slate).  25 units of copper ore are resting safely in the storerooms, where Moldath is fashioning some swords for my military (who have already gone through Dodging, Combat, and Striking demonstrations.  Sadly, my captive goblins are only clad in leather, but have an iron, copper, and silver dagger between the 3 of them.

I also found the goods dropped by the last dwarven caravan (concealed cleverly beneath an Alunite Block).  The recovered goods include a steel shield, bismuth bronze pick, 6 bins of cloth, a steel mace, and iron helm.

As far as the fortress itself goes, not much progress has been made in digging, with the miners spending half their time looking for copper.  Rooms have been dug for the military, as well as a dedicated section for stone crafting (in order to simplify the trading).

61 dwarves currently reside in Lakehome, with an army of 10 training swordsdwarves.  I look forward to the Dwarven Caravan this year, as it should have many of the goods I requested (including the Gypsum that I desperately need).

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 02:57:41 am »

That bitch might be a vampire.

wyldmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 03:09:16 am »

That bitch might be a vampire.

I've been keeping a close eye on all 5 of my migrants with strong social skills.
So far, zero disappearances, and all 5 have eaten *food* (and enjoyed the dining room's quality).

However, Kib is, in fact, a Weremonitor now.  When the moon was almost full I locked him (alone) in the wing of the hospital he was in, and he transformed.  I will allow the doctor to practice his skills before figuring out the fate of Kib.
A suicide room is already being built, where Kib can either learn to swim, or swim with the fishes.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 03:11:30 am »

I'd LOL irl if he was a were-shark and swam as soon as he hit the water.

"QUICKLY DROWN THE FISH DAMNIT!"

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 04:53:31 am »

Dorf me in the military, I want some glorious end / hiliarious death. :)

wyldmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 06:58:02 am »

Dorf me in the military, I want some glorious end / hiliarious death. :)
Done.  Also, you got a chick.  But good traits.
Rank 2 sword dwarf, some random skills like spinner.  Unless another dwarf shows up, you are second in command after the bloodthirster Mafol, killer of many many things weaker than goblins.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 07:10:49 am »

Kib deserves the right to life! He's a freaking lizard-Dwarf for the sake of all that is weaponizable!
Pages: 1 [2]