Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)  (Read 55759 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
Re: Angry Laser Space - Now v0.9! (a game by Shook and Chartle)
« Reply #346 on: September 02, 2016, 03:53:47 am »

Been playing this for a bit, of course, starting on EPIC MAN difficulty, because I am a bullet hell nerd :D

I have a few things I'd like to say though, from one game designer to another.

So, 1. I think it should be made clearer when the player gets hit. Like, the overlay is good, but for each hit, maybe have an effect or more noticable sound?
2. An after-hit invulnerability would be nice, but I can see why you'd do that from a design perspective.
3. I feel like maybe rebalancing the XP would be a good idea? I dunno though, depends if you guys are happy with that or not.

All in all, a very nice game, great soundtrack, while the EPIC MAN difficulty mode could serve to be a bit harder ;P
As I am a girl
And I find it not too bad.

EDIT: Apparently controls are a thing. Didn't even know supers existed until now and I'd gotten to stage 9.
EDIT 2: Gonna stop now. Playing with 600 glow scale/intensity gives you a wicked headache, and I am now quite nauseous

That's probably a warning you should put when the glow meter goes too far.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:13:24 am by DigitalDemon »
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 02, 2016, 01:24:18 pm »

I pretty much agree with all of the above, aside from being insufficiently EPIC to decry EPIC MAN difficulty as too easy.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #348 on: September 02, 2016, 02:45:36 pm »

oh hello guise fancy seeing you here thanks for your interest

!!!

Been playing this for a bit, of course, starting on EPIC MAN difficulty, because I am a bullet hell nerd :D

I have a few things I'd like to say though, from one game designer to another.

So, 1. I think it should be made clearer when the player gets hit. Like, the overlay is good, but for each hit, maybe have an effect or more noticable sound?
2. An after-hit invulnerability would be nice, but I can see why you'd do that from a design perspective.
3. I feel like maybe rebalancing the XP would be a good idea? I dunno though, depends if you guys are happy with that or not.

All in all, a very nice game, great soundtrack, while the EPIC MAN difficulty mode could serve to be a bit harder ;P
As I am a girl
And I find it not too bad.
Well shit, better rename it then. :v
Actually, here's the deal: Once the game is done, the first one to complete that difficulty legitimately AND PROVIDE PROOF (i'll probably put something in) gets it named after them. Good on you for being able to handle it thus far, i admit that i never actually intended to playtest it to ensure that it can be completed. I never made it past level 9 myself on it, and level 19 might well be legitimately impossible. :P (and yes, i do know that the current name is sub-optimal for gender equality but i hope you guys know that i'm not trying to be a dick)
ANYWAYS, addressing things:
1. The red screen flash isn't enough? Huh. Thing is though, there's already a LOT happening on screen, and i really don't want to distract the player too much when they take a hit, but i guess a louder sound would be okay. This assumes that you're actually able to see the screen through the glows, of course. I can see the point of having a flash for the shield getting hit, however!
2. Hell naw, i'd have to rebalance the entire game to accomodate that. "Normal" happens to be the normal difficulty level, and well, you don't need mercy invincibility there. :P (plus, it would completely trivialize massed fire against you if you can just take one hit and pass through the rest)
3. You mean the upgrades, or...? Because the defensive line have been boosted quite significantly, to the point where it can actually compete with the offensive one. You might not deal as much damage, but hot damn you can tank it like a boss. I figured we'd go for a buff to defense rather than nerf to offense, because being awesome is awesome. :U

As for making EPIC MAN MODE >:C harder, nah, i like it how it is, but i can imagine that it's actually not THAT difficult for seasoned danmaku players (and the lower difficulties are cakewalks because wow you can survive a boolet??). In the coming version, however, there is a way to add an independent x2 modifier to enemy rate of fire, which i'm pretty sure would sate your hunger for boolets. ;o

EDIT: Apparently controls are a thing. Didn't even know supers existed until now and I'd gotten to stage 9.
... Well now, i am moderately impressed. I guess it is possible to miss the super shots in v0.9, but despair not, there's a quick tutorial screen in the new one that shows you all those nifty little things.

EDIT 2: Gonna stop now. Playing with 600 glow scale/intensity gives you a wicked headache, and I am now quite nauseous

That's probably a warning you should put when the glow meter goes too far.
WHY DO PEOPLE EVEN DO THAT

WHY DO WE EVEN LET PEOPLE DO THAT

IT'S UGLIER THAN MY DICK

The default is 100 for a reason you know, but yeah, a warning might be in order. :v (also it goes without saying that if you have a family history of epilepsy then GO TO DOCTOR, that shit is dangerous)

also how the hell do you dodge the boolets if you can't even see them i mean jeez the screen is almost entirely obscured by glows at many points

That besides, thanks for taking the time to give me feedback! The relatively low amount is a good sign to me, since it means we've fixed the worst fuckups. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 02, 2016, 02:54:56 pm »

Did you ever fix the Windows 8 crash bug? I think it had something to do with how Game Maker handles concurrent sounds.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 02, 2016, 07:16:17 pm »

Honestly, having just tried it, 600bright is oddly beautiful. Horrifying and blinding, but kinda neat.

In completely different news, I think it'd be interesting if there was a unilateral version of EPIC MAN MODE, I.E: The fire rate and damage buffs get applied to everybody, for purposes of silly.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #351 on: September 03, 2016, 02:06:46 am »

I finally tried it for the first time. This game is pretty darn fun, but man is it hard for me, even on normal. I'm terrible at bullet hells.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 04, 2016, 11:25:16 pm »

[...]
:O !!! Wow we're similar there by a lot.
Challenge accepted. :I I've been itching to do things on the highest difficulty and then I see this thread \o/
Gonna download the thingie and probably edit/make a new post later on when I get towards this :3

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #353 on: September 06, 2016, 09:07:40 am »

Ohoho, good luck! I look forward to hearing your thoughts. c:

I finally tried it for the first time. This game is pretty darn fun, but man is it hard for me, even on normal. I'm terrible at bullet hells.
HEH, me too. I would NOT be able to complete it on anything above Nightmare, and even that difficulty is at the absolute limit of what my patience allows for, possibly a bit above. Glad you like it anyhow!

Honestly, having just tried it, 600bright is oddly beautiful. Horrifying and blinding, but kinda neat.

In completely different news, I think it'd be interesting if there was a unilateral version of EPIC MAN MODE, I.E: The fire rate and damage buffs get applied to everybody, for purposes of silly.
There's cheat codes for something like that. ;o
Actually, only one for x5 damage, but that's still PLENTY to fuck everything up. I kind of have to not fiddle too much with the fire rate though, because it'd be very noticable if the frame rate drops too low (and/or if the rate of fire starts exceeding one per frame), at least for the bullet weapons. On that note, i have been thinking about making a sustained beam weapon instead of the current pulsed beams, buuuuuuut that'll be a thing for later. :v

Did you ever fix the Windows 8 crash bug? I think it had something to do with how Game Maker handles concurrent sounds.
I think so, yeah. I mean, i can't remember if it's in v0.9, but the version i have does have "sound limiting", as we call it, and it does ask if you're running Windows 8 on the first start. It hasn't crashed on my laptop while it was running 8.1, so it could also be that it has been fixed by windoze?
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 10, 2016, 10:11:29 pm »

Great game man! I'm not great at games, especially bullet hells, but this is actually a pretty sweet game. Keep up the great work!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 14, 2016, 09:09:08 pm »

Just downloaded and played it.  It was very fun.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Angry Laser Space - v1.0 is now! (a game by Shook and Chartle)
« Reply #356 on: August 23, 2018, 01:01:20 pm »

VERY BELATED THANKS GUYS

also hey

look at the thread title

it's real now

:D

Download link is in the OP! Changelog is too vast to list down, so y'all are just gonna have to trust me that things have happened. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #357 on: August 23, 2018, 02:11:24 pm »

WAHT!?!?

This is awesome!

Downloading it now.
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #358 on: August 23, 2018, 03:12:58 pm »

Heh, this is nice!  Good, solid shmup gameplay and the two kinds of shots, combined with the way that regeneration is slowed by shooting, adds an interesting level of strategy to the mix.

My only complaint (if it could be called that) is that while the menus and tone are full of Shook's characteristically silly artstyle and tone, the in-game artstyle is forgettable and generic.  Shmups are incredibly common and they need a lot of uniqueness to stand out from the crowd.  I actually think it would be a lot better, and certainly more recognizable, if the whole game had the same artstyle.  Haven't seen too many shooters like that!

Maybe not this game, since you've already done a ton of work on the ships and probably don't want to get rid of them, but another game that uses the same controls and general code.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #359 on: August 23, 2018, 03:42:23 pm »

Thanks! And yeah, guilty as charged, i was less concerned about amusing graphics than pretty graphics (since this was intended from the beginning to be a game with a touch of silly rather than a silly game, and there weren't as many shmups back then). I dare say it looks pretty decent, but indeed, it doesn't have an awful lot of personality (the final boss does have a little nod to it though, see if you can spot it). My future games and an eventual sequel would definitely have a more lively/distinct art style (see: murder of crows), because holy crap the animation and larger sprites have been a pain in my arse. :V

WAHT!?!?

This is awesome!

Downloading it now.
Sweet! Do tell me what you think, nitpicks are welcome too. I'm gathering up small nitpicks for a patch in the not-too-distant future that'll iron those out.

Also, forgot to mention that you can take screenshots with F9, and the end game screen closes when you press any key, so if you want to save a screenshot, make that key F9. It does save your scores to a text file in the folder though, so fret not if you miss it! (and i trust y'all to not be lame and cheat with it)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26