Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)  (Read 55717 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Angry Laser Space - a WIP game by yers truly
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2012, 06:19:43 pm »

OH mah gosh, shook's making a gaem!?
I'm following this for sure.
Hamstone should be the annoucer, because let's face it, he has a badass way of talking.
"Awww yeah! Just killed boss two BITCHES!"
Difficulty selection:
"EPIC MAN MODE >:C BITCHES!"
Just died:
"TERRIBLE!"
Buy an upgrade:
"HAM TIME, BITCHES!"
Killed the last boss:
"REGICIDE, MOTHERFUCKERS!"

Most of those are quotes from Hamstone Hamblings, of course.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Burrito_Jones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2012, 05:15:19 pm »

Cool! What language did you write this in?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2012, 05:19:37 am »

Any progress on badges?
Everybody loves plentifull achievements.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2012, 05:12:53 pm »

I can't get the game to work.

All I get is a blank window when I open it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I tried redownloading it and still get the same thing.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2012, 08:22:03 am »

Huh, that's odd. Does any music play? Have you tried clicking your left mouse button? You seem to be using Windows 7, so i can't see what could make it act like that.

@miauw: They're kind of on the backburner, because they need a saving system if they are to be kept between sessions. That isn't to say i've completely given up on them, however. ;o

@Burrito: Game Maker. :U

@Facekillz again: I'm not even sure how i'd fit Hamstone into this game, and even if i did, i lack a voice actor. Text popups don't do Hamstone justice. :c

In other news, i got home from an exhausting field trip yesterday, so i didn't get anything done there, and then Painkiller HD got released. Still aiming for a November update, however. I also figured out how to implement dashing in a non-obtuse manner, so now i just need to get in the mojo again. Once that's implemented and i've polished up the skill system in general, we can go over to making the levels 11-14.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2012, 09:19:14 am »

@Facekillz058 It worked for me on windows 7, so I don't think that your problem is just the OS
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2012, 01:53:45 pm »

I have tried clicking, and still, nothing.
Sadness ensues.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2012, 03:36:54 am »

How do you change difficulty?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2012, 05:36:59 am »

It's written in the help screen, but you do it by pressing 1-5 in the main menu. We really need a more obvious way to do it. :P

@Facekillz: Aw shite. Hmm. HMMMMMMM. Tried running it with admin privileges? I think that version still does some saving things occasionally.

also hey look

NEARLY THERE. A few more details to go before we start doing new levels. Also, skillpoints are much harder to earn now, since the new skill upgrades are vastly more powerful than the previous applications of skillpoints. I personally intend it to be slow enough that the max level is 10, meaning 9-10 skillpoints, depending on whether you start with one or not. That should make the player try out different combinations to find the one that suits him/her best.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2012, 07:43:06 am »

Do you think it would be possible to make random levels?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2012, 04:53:00 pm »

It would, though they wouldn't be quite as coherent as hand-made levels. That'll probably be a thing to do after level 20, since that could potentially add more lasting appeal. Like, an Endless mode where you face increasingly tough waves of foes until you die, with eventual shop visits. The biggest problem with such a feature is that the enemies depend a lot on their positioning to be a threat, since very few of them have any kind of flexible behaviour (read: sentries and fans).

also hey look

Cursor, pop-up text and 8 difficulty levels!! EPIC MAN MODE >:C is still the hardest, though. I managed to get to level 8 on a legitimate playthrough at the 7th difficulty, after which i ragequit against the formation of sentries found there. I SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT. Also, hardcore mode in the works too, so you can die and be thrown back to the main menu. WE ALL WANT THAT, RIGHT?

edit: yes we do

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:29:44 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2012, 07:29:29 pm »

I have tried running as admin, still nothing.
Out of curiosity, does the game require decent hardware at all?
Like, would a school computer run it, I guess is what im saying.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2012, 07:44:46 pm »

I don't know, to be honest. Haven't had a lot of people mentioning low framerates, so i think they're reasonably low. It's kind of hard to test for myself, because my own gaming rig likely far exceeds the minimum requirements. My laptop runs it smoothly too, though with the advent of 60 FPS there can be occasional slowdowns during moments of mass destruction, likely due to the sheer amount of particles being created. I'm actively trying to prevent that, however, with reasonable success so far. In fact, in anyone could help me determining a somewhat accurate set of minimum specs, that'd be lovely indeed. I suspect it'll get a smidge higher for this version, since the new default framerate is 60 rather than 30 (and golly does it look rad).

TL;DR: i dunno, please try and tell me what happens. :U

also hey look

wooshhhhhhhh

AFTER IMAGES. Simply because it looks rad when dashing makes those appear. Now to make dashing actually DO something other than briefly adding a 20% speed boost. I'm thinking that it should let you dodge most boolits, but not ship collisions or beams (because speed of light). What i also need to find out is whether to apply the dodging effect to the shield as well, but it probably should, since the shield actually has the same hitbox as your ship, rather than the circle that the graphics imply. Also, before you start dreading a dash that makes you move a fixed distance, don't worry about that, you stop moving when you let go of the buttons. c:

Front dampers are also in the works, but i gotta finish this dashing deal first. Making it reliably trigger on a half-circle motion (on your keyboard) without making it trigger inadvertently is kind of hard. Other than that, i'll probably be putting up a few mouse-over help screens, and one that displays when you start a new game. Why? Because i've had a surprisingly large amount of people being unaware of the fact that you can also right-click to bring your front guns to bear, and that more people don't even know that super shots exist. All of that would be a non-issue if people only read the help section. :U

Past that, only skill menu access and additional levels remain. I'm not promising anything, but MAYBE towards the end of the coming week. As usual, however, i reserve the right to delay for any or no reason. And provided that i don't get an offer from someone wanting to make music for this (which involves at least 10 tracks, since i've set the somewhat lofty goal of having different music for each level), that'll also be the day where i do that contacting thing with Danny Baranowsky.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2012, 02:49:00 pm »

Cool.

I look forward to the update.
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2012, 08:51:04 am »

Awesome, glad to hear that! Also, apologies for teasing you guys incessantly, but i just can't help it. :c

... speaking of which, dash works nicely now, and...

FRONT DAMPERS

Works quite nicely as well, especially the second level of it. 20% damage reduction is pretty okay, but 80%, however brief, is pretty damn crazy. Might have to tone it down a little, because hot damn. To put things into perspective, you can survive a ship crash on EPIC MAN MODE >:C when it's active, and if you have max armor, then boolets are brought down to Nightmare-level damage, meaning that you could potentially survive 9 shots without shields or regen. It obviously comes with the risk of bringing you closer to the next shot/ship, but 80% DAMAGE REDUCTION. Perhaps 50% would be more reasonable? Still a significant boost over 20%.

hey also look

CROSSHAIRS
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26