Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)  (Read 54574 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Angry Laser Space - a WIP game by yers truly
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 08:37:16 pm »

*claps*
You are awesome, shook! *srs face* Now Hamstone needs a cameo as an asteroid in the background.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 01:39:28 am »

This thing is pretty awesome. I await further developments with interest. I would like to suggest as an upgrade something which makes your hitbox smaller.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 02:57:35 am »

Shook if you were any more awsome, I'd have to kidnap you.

Love everything you do, its like you coat your stuff with win.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 02:12:09 pm »

Aw shoot heck, now i feel all warm and fuzzy inside. c:

@TSTwizby: That's actually an interesting idea. I was kind of wondering what to put in the final "other" row, but this might be it!! (if i can make it work, that is)

Tyrian and Piranha were some of the /best/ games.  Posting to remind myself to play this later.
What, no love for Raptor: Call of the Shadows? :U

In other news, here's how the second boss will likely look when it's done. (as in a mockup)

Boolits and beems added FOR JUSTICE. Also, add a lot more of the round ones to get closer to reality. And if i get around to it, a big fat glow to go with the big fat beam.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 10:55:43 pm »

@TSTwizby: That's actually an interesting idea. I was kind of wondering what to put in the final "other" row, but this might be it!! (if i can make it work, that is)

Thanks! I was thinking that it would add a sort of third playstyle, rather than all out attack or defense, a bigger focus on speed and evasion.

I've been playing this a lot lately, and while I love the spread/splinter combo I'm beginning to thing it's too easy to get. That isn't so much of a problem at the game's current length, but if players can basically be blockade destroyers after level four, things have gotten a bit too lenient. I'd suggest making them more expensive or else making them only available after a certain stage, since I really don't want you to make the combo worse.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 02:42:30 am »

Cannon needs to be bigger, if you ask me.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 06:42:46 pm »

You'll be wishing i made it smaller when the first insta-kill beam nails you. :P
But seriously though, you might be on to something. I'll see how it looks in game, and adjust accordingly.

Thanks! I was thinking that it would add a sort of third playstyle, rather than all out attack or defense, a bigger focus on speed and evasion.

I've been playing this a lot lately, and while I love the spread/splinter combo I'm beginning to thing it's too easy to get. That isn't so much of a problem at the game's current length, but if players can basically be blockade destroyers after level four, things have gotten a bit too lenient. I'd suggest making them more expensive or else making them only available after a certain stage, since I really don't want you to make the combo worse.
Both are interesting points. I was kind of worried that the speed upgrades would be redundant or even counter-productive, since they don't actually give you increased control the ship (already has instant response) to go with the higher speed, which could lead to crashing into both enemies and shots. A hitbox upgrade might solve that issue, though! (and that's on top of the armor and shields you're likely to get as well)
And on the topic of hitboxes, a slight issue with the shield might be how its hitbox is actually much larger than that of the ship; it goes all the way out to the edge of the circle, and thus catches shots that might not hit you otherwise. Whether to keep that or shrink the actual hitbox to a more managable size (roughly the same as your ship, maybe a tad bigger) is still subject to contemplation though, since the bigger hitbox of the shield could be advertised as a slight downside to the otherwise very useful upgrade.

Also, as for the upgrades, maybe like have the last three tiers only get unlocked after the respective boss fights (so 3rd last gets available after first boss and so on). It would also encourage people to spread their cash out a bit more, since it gets really hard to hoard cash after the first few levels (especially because your money-gaining ability is directly proportional to how many aliens you can kill). Although this might raise a bit of an issue with people who'd just sell back old upgrades to get the really powerful ones, i'll make sure to deter people from doing that. :P (exhibit A: spread shot is very powerful, but it absolutely fucks you over if you lack the damage to back it up)

The tricky part comes with the last tier of upgrades, though. They should definitely be very powerful, considering that you might not get them before level 16, but they shouldn't be outright gamebreaking. Then again, you'll definitely be facing some harsh late-game opposition, so maybe you'll actually NEED what would otherwise be a gamebreaker to get through. That'd be a really good wake-up call, showing both how much more fierce the opposition has become, and how much more buffed you've become. But here comes another issue: Is the player supposed to have every upgrade by the end of the game? I'm leaning towards a yes, because i've already noticed my own sadistic tendencies with both bosses and mooks, but some input would be lovely.

Also pardon me for rambling so much without showing any progress, i've been a smidge preoccupied lately. I intend to resume fairly soon, but getting me and my co-programmers' files synced up would be nice before i do anything drastic. That, and it's not my only pastime. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 03:06:26 am »

I must say, I've been trying out the shield and it seems like an awful upgrade as of yet. Expensive, of some help, but with a huge detraction in the form of the hitbox increase. Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm playing on EPIC MAN MODE >:C (up to level 7 so far... The trick is to avoid everything and don't stick to the bottom of the screen. The boss was a nightmare. Currently stuck on the first little bit of level seven with the 4-way ships and the homing turrets. I can avoid one or the other, but not both... and too little firepower to take them down fast enough. Should have invested just a little bit less in armor.)

-edit: I've now tried EPIC MAN MODE >:C again using a pure offensive build, and it was a piece of cake after the boss when I got the spread/splinter combo, apart from the last level which was pretty painful. It helped that I figured out how to use super shots.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:06:43 am by TSTwizby »
Live bait.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 10:00:31 am »

So wait, you actually completed it on EPIC MAN MODE >:C? Holy fuck. I didn't even think that was possible. Nice job! :o

Also wut

Second boss is live, almost too much so. If you think it looks hard, then you're absolutely correct; in fact, it's harder than it looks. Chartle is an evil genius for making this blighter. :P
The big turret fires slowly, but heavens help you if you fail to dodge, because that shit's an instant kill on Normal, regardless of armor and shields. The rockets deal insane damage if you don't have shields, and the orbs serve to strip your shields, since they become really hard to dodge after a while. That plus homing rockets equals PAIN. Let me explain that in numerical terms; without armor, the MINIMUM damage a rocket can deal is 8,33, which is with full shields. As your shield diminishes, that number increases gradually, and tops out at 40 damage per rocket. Couple that with the fact that it launches 6 rockets at once fairly frequently, and that they're pretty hard to dodge, and you have a very difficult boss fight. It's not impossible, however, since i did manage to beat it on Normal. Now to go for Nightmare, since i as the developer have to be able to complete the whole game on Nightmare. Augh. Oh well, PROGRESS!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 10:28:48 pm »

Thanks, though to be fair, I play Touhou. As I said, the trick to EPIC MAN MODE >:C is to get the most offensive power you can. It's insanely difficult up till the stage after the first boss, then things get easier since you've (hopefully) earned enough to pull out the big guns. Though those red ships will always catch you off guard...

When do you think the next version will be up? I've been looking forward to this for a while, glad to see it's not dead.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:30:34 pm by TSTwizby »
Live bait.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 07:33:45 am »

Fairly soon, though unfortunately a large quantity of annoying errors popped up when me and Chartle merged versions. Thank goodness for backups. :P
I'm not quite sure whether i should make level 11 just yet, since there might be some balancing to do with the second boss (which is much more reminiscent of actual bullet hells). This much i will say though, you can sell upgrades in the next version. c:
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 03:13:12 pm »

Fairly soon, though unfortunately a large quantity of annoying errors popped up when me and Chartle merged versions. Thank goodness for backups. :P
I'm not quite sure whether i should make level 11 just yet, since there might be some balancing to do with the second boss (which is much more reminiscent of actual bullet hells). This much i will say though, you can sell upgrades in the next version. c:

At full price or at an annoying cost reduction?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 04:03:38 pm »

At an annoying 10% reduction. Don't want people to have it too easy, you know? :P
Anyhoo, i've weeded out most of the errors, so with some luck i might be able to release it tomorrow. After that, LEVELS EVERYWHERE.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 05:47:05 pm »

Welp, no update today, and likely not any before friday. This is because i have an exam on friday morning, and preparation is taking up too much time to be working on this. In the meantime, i'll leave this guy up for speculation.

hint: it will be annoying
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 03:03:49 pm »

HELLO

The exam for today is over and i come bearing an update. Changelog:

- BOSS 2 IS A REALITY. Beware.
- Shield hitbox is now much smaller, about same size as the ships hitbox (which is also a bit smaller vertically).
- Shield now has a "gate" mechanic, meaning that any excess damage past a collapsed shield is halved (example: normal shield has 15 points, large laser hits for 25, so you take (25-15)/2 = 5 damage). I suspect this will greatly help EPIC MAN MODE >:C players.
- Upgrades can now be sold with the right mouse button. This gives you back 90% of their cost.
- A few bug fixes here and there. (and likely a host of new bugs)
- Level 6 nerfed further.
- Altered help screen colours to match game aesthetics.

My co-programmer, Chartle, is not yet written in the Credits screen, but he's the mad genius responsible for both the second boss and the selling of upgrades.

GET YOURS TODAY (updating OP shortly)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26