Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)  (Read 54559 times)

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Angry Laser Space - a WIP game by yers truly
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 04:54:09 pm »

Just did a quick playthrough on normal. I'm liking the changes to the shield, though not quite enough to make me want to use it regularly. I'm liking selling stuff too. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in level 6. The new boss is pretty awesome. I couldn't tell, do the rockets track you at all? It didn't seem like they did to me, but then again I was mostly staying in the same place, darting back and forth to dodge. My firepower was great enough to take it down before having to worry about the turret.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 07:58:36 pm »

Just finished it on Normal. WOW that was tough!

sayaks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 03:19:41 am »

How come i start with 10 damage on both, 1st upgrade= 10.5 damage, 2nd upgrade = 8 damage?

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 04:47:46 am »

Did you buy any weapon upgrades? Some of them lower your power as the cost of firing more shots.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.

sayaks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2012, 05:12:35 am »

hm maybe... i need to investigate that...

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2012, 10:32:15 am »

I'm not quite sure i follow you, could you describe what you did? Because yes, some upgrades do lower your damage (namely Gatling and Spread upgrades), but they're worth it in the long run. The game doesn't list DPS, so you'll have to keep track of that yourself.

@Korbac: Tough? Yeah, might have gotten a little too excited on level 9. :U

@TSTwizby: They do track you, for a while. They stop tracking after a short time, which is why you're able to dodge them at all. Also, killed it before the turret nailed you? Dayum. I'm not sure whether to increase the turrets firing rate or just leave it as is, because it's already pretty damned difficult. Oh well, nice job. c:
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2012, 05:48:00 pm »

It's very fun, and luckily kind of short, so when I reached lvl 10 with nowhere near enough cash to beat the big baddie, I wasn't too mad at having to do everything again.  :)

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2012, 06:49:57 pm »

As I've said before, my secret is that every cent I earn goes towards front cannon upgrades and every point I earn goes to front cannon power. It's still a close thing though. I've played a few more times, and twice I've gotten it down to its last couple of pixels and then gotten hit by the turret, so I don't think it really needs adjustment.
Live bait.

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 09:46:20 am »

Just played it through on easy and normal. It was pretty fun. If you make more levels I would certainly play them.

It would be interesting if you had multiple levels of upgrades for the weapons, btw.

(if things get much harder, you will need more firepower)
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 12:24:25 pm »

True, i definitely need something that will buff the players firepower beyond what's already possible, since we're only at the half-way mark in terms of levels. The threat level of enemies has risen a LOT since level 1, and at that rate, it'll be extremely difficult to survive at level 19 (even more so against the final boss, which will be a terrifying opponent in all senses of the word). So yes, might make more levels of weapon upgrades, provided that other changes don't give enough power to the player. But what could possibly give enough of a buff? Well, this suggestion, which happened on another forum:

Quote from: torismaser
Level'd weapon progression
What this means is have a sort of a weapon tree for both the turret and the front guns.
For instance start with a base of 3 choices like a Damage upgread, a RoF upgread or a misc upgread(fire a spread of 2 shots, a shot has a 25% chance to pass through an enemy ship, shot has a 25% chance to ricochet of an enemy etc)
And as you progress through your ship level or the game level you unlock a wide variety of new upgreads that you can choose(Or buy)

Quite frankly, i love that idea. Maybe not in that exact form, but a skill tree of sorts would definitely add much more flavour than the current point system.

@TSTwizby: Oh, well that's nice. The fact that the game can be played in multiple ways (tank --> glass cannon) is awesome, though i can't help but feel that it's kind of biased towards offense, in that more firepower = more money. I can probably find a way around that, so that defensive players aren't getting handicapped. Maybe some kind of defensive cash bonus, which increases as players buy more Other upgrades? That'd definitely help players hang on more easily.

@Korbac: Great! I'm hoping that the level selection feature will eliminate that kind of frustration entirely, since you'd be able to just go to previous levels and get a bit more dough from a better playthrough. Selling upgrades might still starve you of money, however, which is still a point of consideration. If, perhaps, i set the later upgrades to only unlock after certain boss fights, it might be reasonable to let players sell back for 100% of the original cost, so they can freely move around the cash they've already earned to test other configurations.

In other news, behold.

GUI overhaul in the works. Don't mind the shitty MAIN MENU part, that one's due for redoing. I figured that there would be a more coherent atmosphere if i made the GUI have the same colours as the player. It also looks really snazzy during gameplay!

Yummy blue colour. Might have to fiddle with the HP bar, though.

Edit: Also question.

Which one is better? Can't decide myself.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:42:20 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 11:41:43 am »

I like the right one personally
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 12:34:02 pm »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 07:22:11 pm »

A'ight, counting votes on other places, that makes it a grand total of 5 vs 0 to the right one. Probably going to stick with that one. I've also begun reworking the shop:

Still a ways to go, but you get the idea. Probably going to add a few more details to the side bars, and give that central display an overhaul as well. With some luck, the next update might be a really big one, since i've managed to structure a couple of major features (level selection and that skill tree idea) in my head. There will obviously be a few new levels as well, and not all of them will be made by me. (so beware, hee hee)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 07:33:34 pm »

Is this version downloadable? :) If so I'll give it another crack.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 07:40:56 pm »

So I was playing EPIC MAN MODE >:C and I was wondering if it would be possible to add a key that makes you slow down for finer small movements. That would be very nice. Also I love the music.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26