Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)  (Read 54562 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Angry Laser Space - a WIP game by yers truly
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2012, 08:54:33 am »

It's possible, yes. I'm wary about adding more keys for the player to think about, because as it is there are already 6 keys + mouse occupying ones mind. I'll try seeing if adding a short acceleration to the players movement might help, but if it doesn't then i'm probably going for that "push to be slow" key.

@Korbac: Not the one i just showed, no. Might take a while before this one's ready, since i'm thinking it'll be a fairly major update. GUI overhaul, level selection and skill tree, along with more levels and foes.

And on that note...

Looks better now, dah? (also i just noticed that i forgot to add the scanlines again, hurf)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2012, 11:05:41 am »

Yarr.

Now with finished buttons, more description and more silliness. And JET SMOKE, WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Now to finish the last descriptions and put something on that display on the left.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 02:09:38 pm »

I like the blue on gray. It makes it feel.. you know, electric.

Also, I got to the first boss. The first time I killed it, I blew up at the same time. :-\
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 09:33:25 am »

I like the new look...

This is almost making me want to write games again (which is a bad thing cause I have not coded any games since high school, and I am supposed to be working on my card game, not computer games).
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2012, 03:14:51 pm »

Then work on that card game, so you can finish it up and act upon inspiration!! Also, i'm glad you like the new look, it has taken a lot of work so far.

@SirAaron: Hee hee. I'm thinking that's a feature rather than a bug, just so the player can experience that ridiculously flat feeling when the boss kills them post-mortem. :P (and besides, boolits usually don't go harmless when you kill the guy who shot them)

Also, guess who's making an appearance?

Loface. His face says "yes you are in possession of this upgrade, woo", though i'm thinking about making him give a raised thumb too. There are also stickmen to indicate sufficient cash, insufficient cash and, for future use, locked upgrades. Now to make all upgrades display the stickman, after which i can fix the main menu a bit, and THEN give Chartle the green light to implement level selection. In a daring move, we'll be simultaneously working on that and the skill tree (which i'll try my hand at). After that, level design and a few more tweaks are due. Exactly when we'll be done is a MYSTERY, but it's either before the 9th or after the 24th, since i'll be in Iceland during that time period.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2012, 05:33:22 am »

That is awesome! Mr. lolface should absolutely be mission control in this game :D

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2012, 05:42:14 am »

That is awesome! Mr. lolface should absolutely be mission control in this game :D

Oh man, that would be excellent! All of my yes are belong to this idea!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2012, 08:12:53 am »

So I was playing EPIC MAN MODE >:C and I was wondering if it would be possible to add a key that makes you slow down for finer small movements. That would be very nice. Also I love the music.

My sentiments exactly.

Epic Man Mode is quite a bit easy, but the lack of a half-speed key makes it hard to avoid those green beams of doom.

And I like the chiptune. Especially the part where it chiptunes.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2012, 08:35:48 am »

Epic Man Mode is quite a bit easy
D'ohohoho! Now you can contemplate whether that was a good idea to say or not. :P
Anyhoo, definitely going to try that half-speed (or something) key, since there seems to be a general consensus to its usefulness. Implementing it would also let me temporarily affect the players speed in other ways, hee hee.

Also, loface as mission control? HMMMMMMMMMM. Tempting. Very tempting indeed.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2012, 10:02:59 am »

It was... until the part where the yellow turret enters.

ARGH DAMN YOU YELLOW LASERS
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2012, 02:08:03 pm »

Just accidentally sold my upgrades and lost my cash :(

I don't think that you should change the interface to protect players from their stupidity (it is the fault of anyone who sells their stuff willy-nilly that if they mess themselves up), but perhaps there should be a separate sell button just in case someone doesn't remember that it is just one click to sell things
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2012, 04:40:06 pm »

I don't know what happened, but suddenly I find myself able to get all the upgrades for free.

8)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2012, 05:03:57 pm »

Yeah, that's a known bug. Exit to menu from the shop, load game again, voila infinite upgrades!!!!!!!!!!! Kind of annoying, but i reckon the new level selection will get rid of that. See, free upgrades shouldn't come as a bug. They should come as a bona fide CHEAT. Cheats are intentional, bugs are not.

@theTrueMikeBrown: Well yeah, we do need to make it more clear that right click sells stuff. And even then, maybe make it so it has to be a double click, else it's easy to accidentally sell something.

@New Guy: That too. I was more thinking of... Future improvements.

hee hee

heeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Basically, what i'm thinking is to multiply most enemies' rate of fire by an additional tenth of the difficulty factor. That means x0.96 shootin' on Easy, x1.1 on Nightmare and x2.0 on EPIC MAN MODE >:C. Which would suck to be on the wrong end of. But, we'll see if that's too much, because twice the dakka from enemies might make EPIC MAN MODE >:C COMPLETELY impossible. Maybe a separate adjustable value to determine just how much the enemies will shoot at you?

Also, the GUI update is mostly done, so Chartle has begun working on level selection. c:

weeeeeeeeee
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2012, 05:08:50 pm »

That is starting to look really cool! I mean, it looked cool before, but now it looks really cool. [/helpful]
More seriously, though, main menu screens often bug me, but this one is good. I kinda wish I was decent at this kind of game. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2012, 05:25:52 pm »

The free upgrades (which were completely on accident I promise) didn't save me from getting shot to death by the first boss. I eventually did win, but it was a lot harder than on normal mode.

Also you don't get a badge for killing the first boss on EPIC MAN MODE >:C.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26