Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609]

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1357579 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #9120 on: August 19, 2021, 01:12:54 pm »

I wasn't sure if there would be another dev diary this week or if the patch release counted, but here it is. Changes to the humanoid pack.

Masterful crafters seems strong. Just a good buff to a common job and extra building slots.

Pleasure Seekers is a bit weird. I don't really want to think on what the buff to entertainers could mean, but it seems strange that it comes with a bonus that allows servants to somewhat replace entertainers. A bit of a nonbo there I feel. Also it's made to be used with slaves, but doesn't allow the slavery civic... Uhhhhh. What the heck??? It's also a bit strange that decadent lifestyle has less upkeep (for most) then utopian abundance, but makes everyone just as happy, especially since the flavor text seems to imply a somewhat stratified society but it makes the lower classes just as happy as the upper ones? Seems like it could be an okay civic, allowing you to have a more happy authoritarian society but I'm unsure if it's enough to be worth a civic slot compared to just having a normal Stratified Economy... Well... I kinda like the idea of a flavorful civic like this, but the mechanics behind it are so weird that I'm unsure about it.

Clone army is cool. Clone vats seem... Strong? You start with 14 monthly pop assembly? And can build up to 21 more? That seems very strong for a huge early game population burst, although you can't grow pops naturally but that's pretty trivial of a thing to fix. Low leader lifespan sucks I guess. And I guess eventually you max out on pop, have to see what that max is. It's at least sorta cool I guess and sounds like it comes with some sorta storyline events thing which might be cool.
Unlike lithoids and plantoids, these additions to the humanoid pack are not actually limited to humanoids.  So that's kinda cool!

I pretty much agree with Criptfiend's analysis.  Additionally there will apparently be a megacorp version of the Mater Crafters civic which frankly sounds pretty useless to me, heh.  Why would a megacorp need CG or even more bonus amenities when there is trade? I exaggerate a little, but only a little :P

Apparently the Pleasure Seekers thing is supposed to represent pre-Slaanesh Eldar, to the point that a dev agreed that there ought to be a special interaction with Slaanesh's expy in the Shroud.  I *guess* that's why they can't enslave themselves via Slaver Guilds, only enslave xenos?  Or they can have no slaves at all and just get the benefits of Utopian Abundance through, uh, hedonism.  To be fair it does cost a civic in exchange for its much lower CG usage.  It also doesn't have the UA unemployment benefits but those obviously barely matter anymore.

Clone army sounds particularly wonky to me, designed for early game rushing.  Incredible population assembly but permanently limited to 5 planets vats, and cannot be genetically modified?  Very short lived leaders but a base +25% fire rate from every admiral?  Sounds like a pop designed to be cast aside after you've used them to acquire better ones.  And to be a worrying early threat in the hands of an AI neighbor.

Oh and +50% army damage is usually a joke, but in the early game it's a lot less so.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 03:12:54 pm by Rolan7 »
They/them
Black lives matter.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: August 19, 2021, 02:54:53 pm »

I really like the new artisan civic, and I'll probably end up trying it out with a life-seeded or ringworld run first thing with the new patch to see how much it helps with the absurd CG costs those builds can have.  The extra engineering research is nice too since it'll help close some of the gap that the engineering tree has on the others, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make in practice.  Especially since there will be some modifiers and bonuses that apply to researchers that won't apply to it.

The rest of the dev diary is okay and interesting, even if I probably won't make use of the new origin or other civic.  The clone army origin is interesting, but I think maybe it would have been better to be a generic engineered species origin instead of being military specific.

I'm also a tad disappointed that there weren't more civics and no new traits, but it's all free stuff if you have the DLC so I won't complain too much.
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: August 19, 2021, 06:34:11 pm »

why be artisans when you can be c o m m u n i s t
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9123 on: August 19, 2021, 06:40:22 pm »

Communism is dead, turns out decadence leads to an overall happier more stable society for probably less cost.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: August 19, 2021, 06:54:28 pm »

People are doing a lot of arguing that the new decadent lifestyle is almost as good as utopian abundance while being vastly cheaper, so Paradox seems to think so...

But then, as they pointed out, it does eat up a civic slot, so that factors into the balancing some.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9125 on: August 21, 2021, 09:37:57 am »

Communism is dead, turns out decadence leads to an overall happier more stable society for probably less cost.
Coomunism will rise, but it is not the only thing which rises

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: August 21, 2021, 11:47:30 am »

Coomunism will rise, but it is not the only thing which rises
communism with xeno-compatability so the sperm can truly be divided equally amongst the people.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: September 14, 2021, 10:19:45 am »

Woooo 3.1 with all the balance stuff is out!  For those who aren't lurking the Discord or whatever.  Steam-autodownloaded it pretty fast.  Finally I get to play this again, I was holding off.
They/them
Black lives matter.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: September 14, 2021, 10:42:29 am »

It's going to be tough to wait until I'm done with work since I've been anticipating it for a while.  Steam doesn't seem to have downloaded it for me yet, but I'll try restarting or doing an integrity check if it doesn't download it by this afternoon sometime.

I'm really interested in trying out some of the new civics and the tradition changes.  None of it's revolutionary, but it should be fun regardless.  Also glad to see some of the bugfixes, like reinforcement fleets being willing to join and reinforce fleets in combat and not lingering in the fleet manager if destroyed.

Now, how many new bugs will they introduce?  That's the real question.  :)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: September 14, 2021, 04:36:44 pm »

I was honestly wondering if a bug had prevented any AI empires from spawning for the first 25 years of this game, but I found them eventually.  Expanding as fast as my influence would allow in two directions, my Militarist Egalitarians looking forward to play with the Idyllic Bloom civic made first contact with 2 races almost simultaneously.  One of which, arthropoids, boarded my science ship and summarily executed the crew.

So I was a little confused when I got contacted by the Fanatical Purifiers... But they were molluscs?  All became clear when the arthropoid Devouring Swarm contacted me shortly after.

that went about as well as you'd think, especially since I hadn't invested in anchorages at all.  I threw together a relatively high-tech fleet almost of almost 40 ships and tried to gank the Purifiers while the Swarm was busy devouring someone I hadn't met, but they countered with a fleet 50% stronger.  Since I myself was 50% over my fleet capacity, I decided to concede.  This is as militarist, mind you, but really it was just supremely bad luck.  I was just as likely to roll pacifist authoritarians as neighbors, and I was largely to blame for overexpanding.  (I also didn't remember "nonadaptive" would give me 70% habitability on worlds of my exact biome).

Gotta say though, the Idyllic Bloom thing doesn't seem very strong.  Even the first stage (of four) costs 1350 energy, then 20 energy/month and a building slot, just to get +10% pop growth.  And the planet type has to match your homeworld, and it takes like 14 months to build that stage.  It might be a great flavor thing, but... if you're going to be terraforming anyway, there's a perfectly good ascension perk.

On the other hand while Idyllic Bloom doesn't work with Habitat or Ring World preference (or Life Seeded lul), it does appear to be compatible with Tomb World preference.  And I do know one way to "terraform" to tomb worlds, though it takes a particular civic ;)

Edit: (furthermore, budding seemed kinda nice but I was still struggling for pops to fill jobs.  Probably shouldn't have expanded to non-tropical worlds as Unadaptive.  Frankly I shouldn't have taken a wet world preference, but I was trying to play plants and maybe even take the *objectively waste of a pick* make-alloys-from-food civic eventually.  All for flavor really.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:41:12 pm by Rolan7 »
They/them
Black lives matter.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: September 15, 2021, 05:17:08 pm »

Idyllic Bloom did look a bit underwhelming to me, but is fantastic flavor.  I'd pick World Shapers for an ascension perk in any circumstance other than flavor, but it's kind of cool.

Budding is another one that I figured was cool for flavor and looked okay on paper, but probably wouldn't pan out and be great in practice.  It won't do much to fight against the new pop growth mechanics, which I despise and turn off now.

Master Crafters on the other hand has been pretty nice for my life-seeded species who always struggle for consumer goods in the early game.  Even with the loss of the consumer benefits economic policy, with Master Crafters I've had a nice surplus of consumer goods so far.  The extra engineering research is just a small but nice little cherry on top.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: September 16, 2021, 11:42:42 pm »

Idyllic Bloom does appear to be compatible with Tomb World preference.

It does but it doesn't :/ (assuming you mean the tomb world origin)

Like it'd be cool if your civ was dedicated to un-tombing your world via bloom, but it don't work that way.  It doesn't give you tomb preference anymore, just a big habit bonus towards tombs, and therefore tombs aren't "native" enough to bloom into gaias.  Meaning I guess you need to terraform the tomb world anyway.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: September 16, 2021, 11:47:40 pm »

Aww.  I guess what I had in mind was pretty bizarre even for Stellaris:  bombing worlds into tombs, then colonizing them and making them sprout like phoenix.

The wild part would be that it'd require Fanatical Purifiers to get the armageddon bombing.  Though I guess Jovian Pox or Become The Crisis hijinks work too, but I don't have those DLC yet.  (I keep getting really close to buying Nemesis for the Custodian content but I'd prefer a sale, even though it's such a meaty DLC and the non-DLC new content have been great)
They/them
Black lives matter.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: September 18, 2021, 04:11:35 pm »

>Be clone army origin
>Pick barbaric despoiler, figure why not, slave pops to fluff out pops because clones don't grow
>Relatively weak Lithoid neighbor

yeah boy

edit: they have the rare crystal generation trait as well
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 11:13:28 pm by MrRoboto75 »
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609]