Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future  (Read 76199 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2014, 11:03:14 am »

What advantage does higher quality items give?  I may just not have made enough to notice.  (Question in disguise- once I can make high-Q items, is it worth remaking older stuff?)

Also, is the flash client as full-featured as something like MUSHclient?  I've been using the former for its simplicity of running.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2014, 01:32:00 pm »

What advantage does higher quality items give?  I may just not have made enough to notice.  (Question in disguise- once I can make high-Q items, is it worth remaking older stuff?)

Also, is the flash client as full-featured as something like MUSHclient?  I've been using the former for its simplicity of running.

Various things are affected by quality - ammo, vehicles and starships, robots, etc.  It can increase max health, or buff weapon damage and things like that.  It doesn't always matter though - for instance tools, and most buildings are unaffected by quality.

The flash client is not as fully featured in terms of supporting triggers, aliases, other MUD scripting things you might want.  I use it because it displays the maps correctly.  If you use an actual client just be sure to set your line length to 120 or more (this is under Output in World Properties on mushclient).  Mushclient supports a bunch more advanced features like MXP (clickable HTML style links in game) as well.

edit: Before I forget - two players have written some nice getting started guides:
https://sites.google.com/site/accordingtomariah/gettingstarted (screenshots!)
http://basp.github.io/2014/03/27/AI-opinionated-newbie-guide.html (tips & tricks!)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:38:10 pm by genmac »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2014, 12:37:52 am »

Are there equivalents of refineries for other types of materials?  I saw a nuclear enrichment plant, but... yeah.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2014, 09:11:52 am »

Also, I was poking around with the socials (premade emotes) and unless I really didn't poke around much, there don't seem to be a lot.  If you give me a template (and ideally an existing list so I don't duplicate effort) I can see about whipping more up.

I took a peek in hellcore for an example, but I couldn't find where they were hiding.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2014, 01:44:34 pm »

This looks like an interesting game, the only text MMO ive played was a zombie game. Can anyone give me a quick list of things not to do? Because I recall these kinds of games tend to have that stuff

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2014, 04:15:18 am »

Moss, nothing.

This is literally nothing you can do, except deliberately trying to crash the server, that is against the rules. Except whatever is in the help rules file, but I haven't read that in a while.

And yes, I second this as exceedingly fun for the crafty types. I wonder if I can still do what I did before on it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2014, 01:26:42 pm »

This looks like an interesting game, the only text MMO ive played was a zombie game. Can anyone give me a quick list of things not to do? Because I recall these kinds of games tend to have that stuff

Given the admin team largely came from "Do as thou wilt" Hellmoo, I wouldn't worry about it too hard.

Unless you mean in terms of not screwing up your build, in which case there's also no such thing since 1) you can unlearn skills for a 75% refund 2) skillpoints are simple to get 3) you're going to be "ascension" rerolling a lot anyway.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2014, 01:13:38 pm »

Also, I was poking around with the socials (premade emotes) and unless I really didn't poke around much, there don't seem to be a lot.  If you give me a template (and ideally an existing list so I don't duplicate effort) I can see about whipping more up.

I took a peek in hellcore for an example, but I couldn't find where they were hiding.

I tracked this down (some areas of the hellcore I don't often visit), and I think this is the basic format - the current socials are setup like so:

social_msg: "%N [verb][suffix]."
tsocial_self_msg: "You [verb][prep] [dobj]."
tsocial_target_msg: "%N [verb][suffix][prep] you."
tsocial_others_msg: "%DN raises one hand, awaiting a high five."

social_msg is the base "action message" (will not be used if the others are set)
tsocial_self_msg is the message you see when executing the social.
tsocial_target_msg is what your target sees.
tsocial_others_msg is what people besides yourself and the target see.

The % characters are for string replacements.  %N = executor name, %DN = capitalized executor name

Feel free to make these up if you like, and either way I'll turn this into a hellcore tutorial blog post at some point.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2014, 02:13:40 pm »

So basically, all the ones I've seen that are like

> shrug
You shrug.

..use the first line, since they know they are a social but have no specific text associated with them?

If I wanted to flesh 'shrug' out, it'd result in something like this:

tsocial_self_msg: "You shrug your shoulders."
tsocial_target_msg: "%N shrugs [his/her] shoulders at you."
tsocial_others_msg: "%DN shrugs [his/her] shoulders in indifference."

...right?

Is there a unique line for a self-targeting social?  I've seen at least one MUD that had a unique response for a self target.  Also, I'm assuming there is some form of gender specification in there somewhere.

Do you have a list of existing socials?  Testing has revealed there's a decent number, but not a list.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2014, 03:14:26 pm »

I think so, I sort of recall some hellmoo emotes having self target specialties

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2014, 04:10:04 pm »

So basically, all the ones I've seen that are like

> shrug
You shrug.

..use the first line, since they know they are a social but have no specific text associated with them?

If I wanted to flesh 'shrug' out, it'd result in something like this:

tsocial_self_msg: "You shrug your shoulders."
tsocial_target_msg: "%N shrugs [his/her] shoulders at you."
tsocial_others_msg: "%DN shrugs [his/her] shoulders in indifference."

...right?

Is there a unique line for a self-targeting social?  I've seen at least one MUD that had a unique response for a self target.  Also, I'm assuming there is some form of gender specification in there somewhere.

Do you have a list of existing socials?  Testing has revealed there's a decent number, but not a list.

Looking at it, it doesn't seem like there is a specific thing for self target - when you self social, you get the standard target/others messages - however it will substitute "yourself/himself/herself/itself" as the target.  Here's the current list:

=> {"smile", "frown", "grin", "laugh", "giggle", "chuckle", "snort", "wave", "hug", "nod", "eye", "brow", "kiss", "cry", "blush", "wink", "applaud", "poke", "pinch", "smooch", "slurp", "bird", "whistle", "clap", "grumble", "moan", "whimper", "shrug", "purr", "yawn", "growl", "cringe", "bow", "scoff", "scowl", "thumb", "drool", "slobber", "hshake", "tickle", "snuggle", "cuddle", "groan", "spit", "stare", "sigh", "comfort", "pout", "smirk", "prod", "burp", "gulp", "yelp", "squeal", "sneer", "glance", "sulk", "snicker", "gasp", "wince", "whine", "point", "ogle", "peer", "glare", "scream", "cheer", "grimace", "curtsey", "shiver", "cackle", "salute", "recoil", "rub", "grunt", "leer", "chortle", "squeeze", "nudge", "squint", "pet", "pat", "shake", "wist", "tug", "buh", "chackle", "blame", "hi5", "daman", "push", "obama", "fart", "picard", "facepalm", "stroke"}

edit: As a note these are the 'simple socials'.  They are all hellcore actions.  You could have a much more complex emote with custom scripting - for the purposes of suggesting something like this, a detailed rundown of how it would work would be ideal.

edit again: It's a GREAT time to check out wayfar - 22 connected players, hovering around 20 all day!  This is absolutely great for a hobbyist text game if you ask me :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:36:22 pm by genmac »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2014, 08:57:56 pm »

Noted.  The only one I've seen (ponder) that doesn't follow the simple structure isn't on that list, so I'm going to assume that those on the list are all the simple kind.

Is it possible to just fill in some of the possibilities?  Something like "sigh" may not need expansion when untargeted, but warrant something more when aimed at someone.

And yes, if you're even considering this kind of game, it's a good time to sign up.  Bring a friend.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2014, 09:25:47 pm »

DOUBLE POST AHOY

I went through the whole list.  All of them are generic except for these:

Spoiler: These are set up. (click to show/hide)

These two simply don't work:

blame
push

And glance is noteworthy, since glance without a target is a quick status check of the user.  With a target, it's a generic social.

It's worth noting that somewhere is a sanity check on these, because the correct preposition is already loaded for the otherwise generic ones.  (You cheer FOR the foo, you poke the foo, you leer AT the foo, etc)  Where was this in hellcore?  It's probably worth a look to make sure I don't do something stupid.

Does the shrug example above look good to you?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2014, 12:36:44 am »

So, back in the game. Robots are still a lovely addition. Time to restart my harvesting biz.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2014, 07:42:45 am »

I keep telling myself I'm going to roll up a combat character when I finish fabricator, but somehow I keep putting it off for more buildy crafty.

Finished my asteroid miner last night, so going to play with that next.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20