Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future  (Read 76313 times)

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
Re: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2015, 01:32:17 pm »

So I just came back to this after a year or so, this game is awsome it's like what Shores of Hazeron should have been.

The only problem is I have only seen one other person online (Sonia), which is a shame because this game would be perfect with a few more players.

I also took out a loan for 40000 credits so I could buy a mining space ship, and just like my mortgage I keep making payments but the balance hardly changes lol.

My ingame name is Jims
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2015, 02:05:30 pm »

I tried this a gooooood while ago when it was just released and, while I liked it, the game just basically dumped everything on you and told you to have fun, and I didn't have enough time to pick up and learn how to properly play it, so I left. I might go back to it and actualy learn how to do things and etc. It looks pretty fun, and I like muds that let me do my own thing and create stuff and find ways to survive in the wilderness.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

razor871

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2015, 03:13:11 am »

Didn't know that there was a Bay 12 forum thread for this, this MUD is pretty interesting! Anyways this MUD is still quite active (few players a day) if anyone is interested in having a look at it. Recently joined myself and I've found pretty much all I could ever want in a sci-fi MUD! Good recommendation to people who enjoy futuristic game settings as well as text-adventures. Cheers!  ;)

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2015, 07:42:04 pm »

Didn't know that there was a Bay 12 forum thread for this, this MUD is pretty interesting! Anyways this MUD is still quite active (few players a day) if anyone is interested in having a look at it. Recently joined myself and I've found pretty much all I could ever want in a sci-fi MUD! Good recommendation to people who enjoy futuristic game settings as well as text-adventures. Cheers!  ;)

Feel free to check it out, I've been working on a few bugs and quality of life improvements :)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:05:52 pm by genmac »

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2015, 07:57:06 pm »

I have even some concepts of "points of interests":

I approved your badmin application if you ever happen across the topic again.  What this does is grant you access to the BADMIN channel and the @PLAY command, which lets you assume control of a randomly generated creature.  Sometimes this creature is generated on the surface of an airless moon and explodes.  Let me apologize to you now, in advance, for this trouble.  To escape creature mode use @DONE.  Sadly I haven't been able to get to working on this feature more but I think it has a lot of potential.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2015, 08:28:21 pm »

logged in today but cant get the blueprints to load into the basic crafting tool any tips

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2015, 04:26:56 pm »

logged in today but cant get the blueprints to load into the basic crafting tool any tips

Trying EXAMINE on the blueprint - you have to add it to the right tool or workstation.  I'm not sure if you load them into your basic crafting tools, they may be for loading onto workstations.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2015, 07:25:11 pm »

Man i remember playing this a long time ago, glad to see its still alive even tho it seem a bit desolated. I will however come back in a few days once im done working. With my current schedule i sleep so late and wake up so early that yesterday i think i saw myself going to bed O.o?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2015, 07:46:44 pm »

when was the most recent dev update on it ?

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2015, 10:18:07 am »

when was the most recent dev update on it ?

We usually do a blog post when there is a major new feature, but bug fixes and minor additions like descriptions or new items happen every week or two.  Right now my day job is consuming a lot of my time (sadly!)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2015, 03:41:01 pm »

Just so i remember right, how many time can we *complete milestone* and reroll to get bonus attributes? or was it skillpoint O.O i forgot...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2015, 04:07:06 pm »

Just so i remember right, how many time can we *complete milestone* and reroll to get bonus attributes? or was it skillpoint O.O i forgot...

Your skillpoint caps maxes out after 10 rerolls.  You can keep going after that for bragging rights, but I wanted to make it easy to hit the cap.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2015, 05:48:53 pm »

People sure are nice to leave all these buildings around, filled with stuff. Haven't even spent an hour making inert beams recently, since everything is just a 'claim' away.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2015, 11:12:36 pm »

I'll be looking for some more volunteers over the holiday.

Here is the base requirement for any of the below:

You must successfully complete a reroll in Wayfar so that you do not need basic mechanics explained.  When starting a character you choose a goal (such as launching a starship or hunting a certain number of animals), and after doing so you are awarded permanent bonuses.  Once you've achived the goal, type REROLL to get your permanent bonus (you keep all items and buildings).

Here are our needs:

* community managers - this is for answering player questions, generally chatting in a pleasant and professional manner with players.  You also get access to description submissions and access to the programmer/badmin nets.  You will not have the power to punish or sanction players - in the rare case where code cannot handle this, you should escalate your concerns to a senior wizard.

* Programmers - this is pretty involved.  You absolutely need to be something of a self starter and willing to learn the codes in place, so that you can extend them.  Documentation is available but you must have a desire to learn the existing codebase and extend it.  The scripting language we use is very simple (think basic with a dash of python).

* Wizards - wizards must start as programmers, with all the limitations that entails.  To start you'll be extending code or creating new items without having the ability to modify base code.  If you can survive these limitations and have a real interest in science fiction, wizardship will allow you a lot more freedom in making changes.

* Website enthusiasts - Wayfar has the ability to export all game data to the web.  It'd be neat to display more information, in a friendly way.  We have simple maps and 3d displays of the planet.  Even better, web facing ways to interact with the game on a mobile phone or web browser is a major goal -- not so much in playing the full game over web, but in changing jobs or directing your colonists through a simple interface.

* Designers & general enthusiasts - this is a prelude to a programmer position.  Design, well thought out feature ideas, fleshing out of the game universe, etc.

* Mushclient or Mudlet scriptors.  It is entirely possible to create a semigraphical, playable interface to Wayfar through these clients.  I don't expect to find many people with this specialty, but it would be a huge help!

* Documentors - Aside from actual game content, I believe in sharing all the advancements we make in terms of code and general knowledge.  I've published several blog posts along these lines, simply to aid other game creators that want to make their own hellcore games.  Also, help files and guides for the website and in game are sorely needed!

Caveats: 

* There is absolutely no tolerance for "power gaming" or "meta gaming" in an admin position.  Helping your friends, etc, is not the point of a position on Wayfar.  What I'm looking for is people that enjoy the science fiction setting, especially advanced sci fi concepts (nanites, star system generation, planet generation, strange and unique locations and aliens).  People interested in creating cool game mechanics or neat items are the goal here -- not people interested in text power or drama.

* Hawgpadre is the dictator king in terms of overall design and theme.  Again, you must be interested in science fiction, especially hard/advanced sci fi (think Alistair Reynolds).  Making clubs and wooden spears is a complete waste of time - a million other MUDs do this.  We want to make a far future science fiction game, not rehash mechanics from other games.  I am harsh, but fair.

* It is absolutely fine to have a player character for testing code changes and mechanics, as well as for assesing the overall flow and feel of the game.  However, if you are interested in volunteering, this will not be your primary focus.

* This is not a job.

* Wayfar is a 100% non profit generating enterprise.  Our donation link is tied directly to the web host we run the game on.  At this time we offer no benefits for donating, although I think some cosmetic or minor rewards are a real possibility in the future.

If you are interested, here are the ways to get in touch with me:  you can use in game mail, with the @send command, to Hawgpadre.  You can send an email to admin@wayfar1444.com and once in game you can type: CHATNET ON and then CHAT <your message here>.  Be sure to use CHATNET HISTORY in case someone replied while you were offline.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2015, 11:13:18 pm »

This post for volunteers is part of a general drive for exposure to increase our player base. I've added a further incentive to anyone who tries Wayfar during the month of September - if you play the game and leave a review, on any MUD site of your choosing, or even your own blog, you will receive a unique in game reward.

The content of your review is not tied in any way to the reward you receive - tell us what you like, what you dislike, whatever! Please see the details here: http://wayfar1444.blogspot.com/2015/09/wayfar-1444-is-seeking-player-reviews.html
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20