Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future  (Read 76324 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 08:16:10 am »

God I miss the days where we had more MUSH then MUD

(or, rp instead of number games)

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 08:24:28 am »

Actually the biggest text games are dedicated entirely to the "MUSH" arts.  TapestriesMUCK has 900 people online and it's theme is something about furry dragon roleplay

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 01:59:33 pm »

Actually the biggest text games are dedicated entirely to the "MUSH" arts.  TapestriesMUCK has 900 people online and it's theme is something about furry dragon roleplay

eew.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 02:19:05 pm »

Spoiler: Derail-ish (click to show/hide)

Anyway, sorry for the derail - reading about MU*s got me thinking of old times. I may check this game out, as it looks quite neat, and has some of the most interesting code I've seen on a MUD.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:27:21 pm by Lord Dullard »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 02:56:10 pm »

Tangent:
I would totally play that... if not for the fact that a few minutes would probably enough to pick up the Fallout 1/2 MMO again, and then I would be lost to the cause... heh.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 04:05:18 pm »

Spoiler: Ahh, MUSHes. (click to show/hide)

That said!  This place looks super impressive.  While I haven't connected yet, it reads like one of those places I always dreamed of making and never did, only it appears to be done /properly/ (and without the ATITD trappings I probably would have dumped into it).  Awesome.  You already blow Core out of the frickin' water (it's been my baseline for this kind of thing since forever).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:27:38 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 10:24:00 pm »

i am finding difficulty finding a fun point to this game.. i am trying to get inert metal, but i am told i need an expensive tool to get this, something like 1500 if i am not mistaken. Trying to sell stuff like lumber or fiber only gives 2 each. Sounds like a terrible grind to me.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 02:05:28 pm »

i am finding difficulty finding a fun point to this game.. i am trying to get inert metal, but i am told i need an expensive tool to get this, something like 1500 if i am not mistaken. Trying to sell stuff like lumber or fiber only gives 2 each. Sounds like a terrible grind to me.

You start with a full spread of harvesting tools, including one for opening caverns, which I recommend doing in a mountain area if you want metal.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 02:17:00 pm »

You start with a full spread of harvesting tools, including one for opening caverns, which I recommend doing in a mountain area if you want metal.

Already looked into this, there does not appear to be mountains.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 02:20:11 pm »

Why is the command reference in Spanish or Portuegese? Can I change that to English?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 03:02:25 pm »

Already looked into this, there does not appear to be mountains.

Oh whups - I think there are one or two tiles on the starter planet that are mountain, but I added a few more manually on 17-EGRET. 

The spanish is something on the web client and will be english someday - we added some more help files so try checking the HELP index in the meantime.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2012, 02:02:37 am »

The base database that I use to make Wayfar is officially cleaned up and available for download, thanks to hellmoo.org:

http://hellmoo.org/node/6328

It includes the source for the moo binary.  You need Linux!  It doesn't include any armor, weaponry, or items, but it does include combat and many useful features.  I've been enthused about this for a while - HellMOO was kind enough to give me a copy when I told them my idea, and there really are some serious advancements in the hellcore compared to anything you can google up and download.

And here's a couple screens:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: As a swanky bonus, here is an offer for free MUD hosting on a stable server: http://zeno.biyg.org/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:19:29 am by genmac »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 11:12:51 am »

Got into this myself. Amazing game. I know I'm necroing a bit, but this is worth it, especially considering where Hell and HATE have taken themselves lately. The crafting is very intuitive, just make a macro that sends 25 1's at a keypress if you don't want to worry about quality of the finished project. Seriously, the game is amazing, spent 3 days just fiddling about with crafting things.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2012, 12:59:16 am »

This is great! Having played HellMoo before this feels familiar, yet novel at the same time. For the last few hours I've really enjoyed the resource gathering and crafting, and yet I feel like I have barely scratched the surface.

If anyone else takes a look one thing that drove me nuts in my first 30 minutes was I could not figure out how to use the crafting tools. The help lists the command as: 'craft <something> <something> basic crafting tool'

Took me a bit to figure out it is 'craft <something> ON basic' etc.

Did a little facepalm when I figured it out. Hopefully this will save someone else the trouble though.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2012, 12:57:04 pm »

i dont know, i played this for a few days about a month ago and I got really bored with the game.. the crafting was mind-numbing, and the combat required you to somewhat button mash.. I didnt care for it at all
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20