Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future  (Read 75826 times)

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:24 pm »

Hello friends,

A long time ago Dwarf Fortress came out, and I played a moo called hellmoo.  A couple of years later I started my own multiplayer dwarf fortress space colony game.  Dwarf Fortress really made me want to do a procedurally generated project, and I noticed a distinct lack of cutting edge, or even barely awesome space MOO/MUDs.  With help from the hellmoo admins, and their permission to use a version of their database, I started work on my third personal game project.

I have reached alpha completion on a sci fi MOO, Wayfar 1444.  It's kind of a dwarf fort, conquestmud campy/far future sci fi game that I've been working on for about a year.  Things that are working as of now include procedurally generated planets, kingdom of loathing inspired reroll system, modern style skill based advancement, exploration & crafting, vehicles, aircraft, turrets, starships, player owned shops & buildings, hacking, procedural wildlife and resources, robot control and a unique dice pool based combat system.

You can play right away in full color and glorious mappitude right here: http://wayfar1444.com/flashclient

Same client is now available through the Chrome webstore (for free): Click here

Type: REQUEST yourdesiredname for youractualemailaddress@whatever.com
Disconnect, get the password from your email, then reconnect and type: CONNECT thatnameyoupicked thepasswordyougot
Once in game you can change your password by typing @password  :)

** Newbie Guide **

** Quick FAQ **

** Latest 3d Render of our model planet, WY-1444:

** Metals Guide **

** Biome list, drops, creatures **

* admin _AT_ wayfar1444 _DOT_ com
* Wayfar 1444 Facebook
* @wayfar1444 on twitter
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:25:22 pm by genmac »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:33:50 pm »

This sounds awesome. Not played a MUD in a while, gonna give this a try.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 04:55:58 am »

Sounds awesome but with that dumbass Gilmore is i am probably going to get banned for reasons unknown within 2 hours.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 05:00:13 am »

Sounds awesome but with that dumbass Gilmore is i am probably going to get banned for reasons unknown within 2 hours.
You sure it's the HellMOO Gilmore?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 05:06:30 am »

You sure it's the HellMOO Gilmore?

This MOO seems to have pretty close bonds with HellMOO so i am 80% sure.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 07:56:45 am »

Why qualifies the skill system as modern?

The screen cap doesn't really show anything new or nifty. Unless we're suppose to think that putting skills in categories is modern.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 09:09:16 am »

Who is Gilmore?

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:38:22 am »

Who is Gilmore?

The worst Badmin of HellMOO; he bans for without any good reason to do so, all the fucking time. Me and AoD were playing it together, he banned us both at the same time.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 11:15:59 am »

The screen cap doesn't really show anything new or nifty. Unless we're suppose to think that putting skills in categories is modern.

Modern refers to the ease of respeccing and buying skills, which are kind of SWG style.  Maybe that's the wrong word.

Gilmore is not an administrator, just a badmin 8)  I got the stripped down database to do this project from him.  Badmins work differently here and have no actual power (just the ability to play out the lives of randomly generated wildlife).  Anyone can become one.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 02:33:35 pm »

Modern refers to the ease of respeccing and buying skills, which are kind of SWG style.  Maybe that's the wrong word.

Gilmore is not an administrator, just a badmin 8)  I got the stripped down database to do this project from him.  Badmins work differently here and have no actual power (just the ability to play out the lives of randomly generated wildlife).  Anyone can become one.

I want to be a badmin! :D
Like, my username in the game is DrPoo like here.
its awesome, by the way.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 02:41:29 pm »

I want to be a badmin! :D
Like, my username in the game is DrPoo like here.
its awesome, by the way.

It's easy - just submit an application from the mingle zone in the central complex.  You can return to the social/gear hub central complex once you've started a colony by using a shuttle ticket from your complex terminal in your house.

This feature is of course the most recent and most broken, but my plan has been to turn what is normally "building" on a MUD into gameplay.  Since my world is procedurally generated, I don't need people to manually design rooms, and from my experience badminning HellMOO most builders want to make a few cool areas, or run some neat roleplay and quite possibly get back to playing, as opposed to dedicating their lives to improving the MOO.  So I'll be building content generation and roleplay tools into the badmin feature.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 02:44:16 pm »

whoa Genmac! this is way out of left field and I am kinda excited to try it out. Expect to see me there soon.

like the idea of spacey ships and such
I got nothing

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 12:18:32 am »

I've played it a bit.  Awesome so far!

Apparently, there is some custom planet thingy.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 08:06:47 am »

I tried this tonight.  I really enjoyed it!

I didn't run into any 'trouble' yet.  A... maybe 'lost colonist' that scanned as 'wildlife' wasn't happy to see me, but that's the closest to misadventure I came so far.  A handful of possible bugs, all reported.  Nothing harmful to play, or frustrating - bugs like my 'energy finding and harvesting tool' can also find and harvest a metal type, my 'equipment building tool' can craft a really advanced sounding 'research station' thing that has multiple glossy screens and is capable of researching artifacts - but it requires no resources to make and can be finished as quickly as any other crudely pieced together equipment.

I do hope there either is or will be challenges, but it sounds like there is or shall be.  I've barely explored any area, like just 5 squares, finding resources to be amazingly abundant, at least for the level of the most basic of needs.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 01:39:30 am »

OK I spent some time playing. This seems like it has lots of potential, there are some interesting mechanics in place. I hope this goes further and more people play it, is there a roadmap of whats to come?
I got nothing
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20