Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future  (Read 75819 times)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future
« Reply #255 on: November 29, 2015, 07:34:58 pm »

What's the difference between the hand-held mapping AI and the terrain surveyor?

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2015, 10:52:11 pm »

What's the difference between the hand-held mapping AI and the terrain surveyor?

The more advanced one (AI) gives you more credits per exploration point.

I'm busy with yet another attempt at an html5 client for Wayfar.  If it yields something playable, or we add some more new features I'll update again

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 03, 2015, 12:42:15 pm »

Very nice, best of luck!

So in other news, I'm an outlaw on my alt. :| Woops.

On my main, I found an old Planetary Interdictor, stock and weaponless, and hacked into it.Took a while but I succeeded with my stealth haxx alien program :) I flew it to the moon of 7-Bluejay, nearly died to void damage, realized I'm an idiot and don't have a spacesuit, nearly stranded myself, ran back in, flew back to the planet, built a hangar to store my jacked ship, and am now building my own base finally, now that there's a point in doing so.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 26, 2015, 06:13:51 pm »

So I have been playing again with my character Jims. I checked the loan terminal and I must have taken out  a massive loan in the past, which means I must have a spaceship somewhere. Any ideas on how I would find it?
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 26, 2015, 07:44:24 pm »

type OWNED

But "must have one somewhere" - they can be hacked and stolen, destroyed if it was left in space, abandoned if you were away too long, etc, so don't get your hopes up tooooo high....

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 05, 2016, 11:45:20 pm »

you should get a mail if a building or starship is destroyed while you are offline.

Updates for 2016 January:  very minor bugfixes

Working on some server improvements that aren't very exciting but are important to the goal of supporting as many systems and galaxies as I'd like.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 21, 2016, 04:05:33 am »

Quick blog post on some of the upcoming work: http://wayfar1444.blogspot.com/2016/01/wayfar-1444-2016-status-roadmap.html

I've got a new server setup to do some of the overhauls that would otherwise take the game down and with the ability to make heavy edits I think we'll come out with a little more polish when we're done.  No ETA but there are several major areas I have in mind for rework/improvement, as well as a lot of extra content to add.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2016, 09:50:56 am »

Looking forward to new content! This is a cool game, and it's great to see it updated.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2016, 07:05:42 pm »

If anyone wants to join me, I am starting a colony of !! INDUSTRY !!
I have a sector center, a few colonists, a few stores, and am working on a refinery.

I prefer you contact me via PM for char name/site name

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 11, 2016, 07:33:15 pm »

The new map draw system on test server, which also comes with a new movement system that significantly reduces the resources we've been using for rooms.  The new movement system will allow us to hit the 20 solar system (which means 50+ planets) goal, and the new maps should be better at letting you tell which tiles are which biomes at a glance.  This is about 20% of the work needed before we can switch over, as creature and resource spawning have to be refactored, along with some space improvements, but its a little progress  :)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 13, 2016, 08:49:27 pm »

Will there be planetless systems?  Just open space for transit and stations?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 15, 2016, 03:50:18 pm »

Will there be planetless systems?  Just open space for transit and stations?

Yes - although some will either host "adventure planets" (no ETA on this whole concept) which are basically uncolonizable hunting/death zones, or may allow some player planet creation.  The old genesis device has been around for years but we haven't made it available to players due to RAM limitations and the sheer amount of chaos I can only imagine it would create.

tautaula

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 18, 2016, 04:51:22 pm »

I've been playing a MUD called Midkemia Online (also known as MKO), and it's about to get shut down. We have less than a month left, each of us to decide where to go.

Some of us were talking about sci-fi MUDS, and of course, having played this one before, I suggested it.

If anyone at all is still interested in adminning it, please log in/pay attention soon. We can't figure out how do some stuff; I forgot and they're used to adifferent syntax.

Thank you.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 07, 2016, 01:55:32 pm »

I've been playing a MUD called Midkemia Online (also known as MKO), and it's about to get shut down. We have less than a month left, each of us to decide where to go.

Some of us were talking about sci-fi MUDS, and of course, having played this one before, I suggested it.

If anyone at all is still interested in adminning it, please log in/pay attention soon. We can't figure out how do some stuff; I forgot and they're used to adifferent syntax.

Thank you.

A little late responding, I got a new job and have been fairly busy.  There will be some news and promotion sometime soon - essentially we're moving Wayfar to a more high powered server, wiping the universe, then expanding it, and cleaning up some of the disaster zones/fixing bugs.  This will take a little while and in the meantime Wayfar will stay online.  It's kind of delicate work to transition over (a lot of sys admin junk involved) so I'll be taking my time with it, but the improvements should be worth it.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 13, 2016, 10:00:53 pm »

I put up a few new teaser shots on the blog, (as well as a handy guide to migrating your nameservers to amazon for less than a dollar a month!), but I won't repost them as they're very similar to my previous post.  The main hurdles right now are refactoring creature and faction spawning to mesh with our new, and vastly improved movement/map system.  In addition to that, there is at least a week or so of actually getting the web and SSL services online on the new server.

The new server however, is blazing fast - it's a dual core at 4gz (we don't need more cores, MOO is single threaded) with more RAM than we could dream of previously.  With the addition of the movement system that reduces overhead by 500% or so, I think we'll finally be able to fully support 20 solar systems, each with 3-8 planets and their accompanying moons.

As a special bonus, the overall cost of hosting wayfar is reduced from ~15$/mo to $1 (the DNS service via amazon.  Email is already routed through gmail).  If things go well this year should see the establishment of a rock solid version of the game.  I don't mind posting about it here, but until the switchover is fully completed I won't be advertising - if you're interested in being an extreme tester or programmer, contact me through private messages for the test location.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20