Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future  (Read 66649 times)

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future
« Reply #285 on: November 22, 2016, 01:19:45 am »

There are not enough players to support the cost of Wayfar running on a VPS.  Wayfar itself is still fully intact, and needs overhauls and improvements before a relaunch.  I've really appreciated the positive response to a lot of the Wayfar game systems, and I think with some polish and time it could be a great MOO/MUD.  To be honest, it is unique among MUDs (although I hear Galaxy web: Stellar Epoch was a great game, and if such a game had existed at the time, I would have played it instead of making a new game).  Wayfar now lives on a much more powerful server run from my home, with a massive amount of bandwidth and RAM.

The sad fact is that MOO/MUD games are a dying breed.  Out of love for the text game genre, I am leaving the option open for a future iteration (more polished) of Wayfar, and in the meantime am searching for inspiration for the genesis of a new game, probably done in HTML5 with 2d graphics.  If anything happens in the future, I will certainly update the topic, and once the test server is ready for players, I will send exclusive invites out to previous players.

* All the "ifs" and "future possibilities" are due to the fact that I have a much more demanding and full time software developer job, which is my first priority.  I still proudly list Wayfar on my resume with a description of the systems that were implemented, as well as the co-operation of people from around the world in getting it working and playable.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:22:12 am by genmac »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 22, 2016, 01:38:01 am »

<3
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 13, 2017, 02:16:30 pm »

May I get such an invite once the test server pops up? I once, was a player of Wayfar 1444 and i would play it again if there was a posibility.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 13, 2017, 11:58:21 pm »

May I get such an invite once the test server pops up? I once, was a player of Wayfar 1444 and i would play it again if there was a posibility.

Certainly.  No ETA  8)

I'm looking at javascript based frameworks for the next iteration of Wayfar, we'll see how things go.  I would have liked to keep the MOO version online perpetually but its just not practical without a serious investment of time that I don't have right now.

e: for the programatically inclined, I have published a collected set of tutorials on github for use with LambdaMOO/Hellcore: https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/comments/65auoa/hellcorelambdamoo_tutorials_on_github/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:45:04 am by genmac »

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 14, 2021, 07:27:56 am »

Huge Necro post.

I just found out that this game has been back online since February 2021. They have a new coder at the helm, but I canít wait to get back into this game.

The connection details remain the same , wayfar1444.com port 7777
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2021, 11:09:05 am »

Hah, that's been ages since I checked that out.

IIRC it started out as an adaptation of HellMOO?
Optimists have just used up the last bit of hope. Run for your lives!

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 18, 2021, 12:34:05 pm »

Haven't thought about wayfar for quite a while.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]