Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future  (Read 75823 times)

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wayfar 1444: a roguelike MUD/MOO set in the far future
« Reply #285 on: November 22, 2016, 01:19:45 am »

There are not enough players to support the cost of Wayfar running on a VPS.  Wayfar itself is still fully intact, and needs overhauls and improvements before a relaunch.  I've really appreciated the positive response to a lot of the Wayfar game systems, and I think with some polish and time it could be a great MOO/MUD.  To be honest, it is unique among MUDs (although I hear Galaxy web: Stellar Epoch was a great game, and if such a game had existed at the time, I would have played it instead of making a new game).  Wayfar now lives on a much more powerful server run from my home, with a massive amount of bandwidth and RAM.

The sad fact is that MOO/MUD games are a dying breed.  Out of love for the text game genre, I am leaving the option open for a future iteration (more polished) of Wayfar, and in the meantime am searching for inspiration for the genesis of a new game, probably done in HTML5 with 2d graphics.  If anything happens in the future, I will certainly update the topic, and once the test server is ready for players, I will send exclusive invites out to previous players.

* All the "ifs" and "future possibilities" are due to the fact that I have a much more demanding and full time software developer job, which is my first priority.  I still proudly list Wayfar on my resume with a description of the systems that were implemented, as well as the co-operation of people from around the world in getting it working and playable.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:22:12 am by genmac »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 22, 2016, 01:38:01 am »

<3
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 13, 2017, 02:16:30 pm »

May I get such an invite once the test server pops up? I once, was a player of Wayfar 1444 and i would play it again if there was a posibility.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 13, 2017, 11:58:21 pm »

May I get such an invite once the test server pops up? I once, was a player of Wayfar 1444 and i would play it again if there was a posibility.

Certainly.  No ETA  8)

I'm looking at javascript based frameworks for the next iteration of Wayfar, we'll see how things go.  I would have liked to keep the MOO version online perpetually but its just not practical without a serious investment of time that I don't have right now.

e: for the programatically inclined, I have published a collected set of tutorials on github for use with LambdaMOO/Hellcore: https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/comments/65auoa/hellcorelambdamoo_tutorials_on_github/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:45:04 am by genmac »

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 14, 2021, 07:27:56 am »

Huge Necro post.

I just found out that this game has been back online since February 2021. They have a new coder at the helm, but I can’t wait to get back into this game.

The connection details remain the same , wayfar1444.com port 7777
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2021, 11:09:05 am »

Hah, that's been ages since I checked that out.

IIRC it started out as an adaptation of HellMOO?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 18, 2021, 12:34:05 pm »

Haven't thought about wayfar for quite a while.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]