Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Carts and tracks  (Read 28709 times)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carts and tracks
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:37 am »

Better yet, start building it now and hope the saves are compatible.

Fireborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2012, 10:30:40 pm »

Don't laugh. My Samurai Pizza Dwarves will ride into battle on wings of Featherwood.
Well, the've definately got more hair than any turtle ever had.

Still, quite interesting that creatures in building will now be able to interact outside of them...  Makes me wonder if caged goblins might have to be bumped up to Mostly Harmless...

Though, I'm sure we'll find ways to make them Perfectly Safe again.

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2012, 08:09:20 am »

I'm definitely wanting the wheelbarrows and carts. The ability to move multiple items would be well worth it IMO. Some times taking stuff to the trade depot or clearing stones out of a room for example causes 100 hauling jobs for me. Would be nice if it were reduced to like 10 or 20 or even less - no more flood of dwarfs moving stuff to the depot all at once when I have a huge surplus of something that I want to be rid of.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2012, 07:37:27 pm »

Perfectly Safe
I noticed those upper-case letters. I don't suppose you had some Fun! to share with us, did you?

grimman007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2012, 08:10:26 pm »

Make some Minecart Madness, anyone?
Urist's Mod! Spawnable NPCs include bogeymen, bronze colossi and a random Forgotten Beast, generated on the fly and animated for your vomit.  Also magma.

Fireborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2012, 01:19:04 am »

Perfectly Safe
I noticed those upper-case letters. I don't suppose you had some Fun! to share with us, did you?
Hitchhiker's Guide reference made to add content relating to the dev-post saying that caged critters might be capable of interaction, so that it wasn't purely a continued reference to Samurai Pizza Cats...

Sadly, no related fun, as we all know cage traps render Goblins, and semi-megabeasts, Perfectly Safe far too easily to be !!FUN!!.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2012, 11:09:25 am »

I presume you mean "a month to complete the giant statue", because I don't doubt that it will be a matter of a couple of hours before dwarven "charioteers" in minecarts are dispatching goblin ambushes.

After reading the devlog I came here expecting to find someone had already designed a computer using runaway minecarts and pressurepads.  I'm slightly disappointed.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2012, 01:14:37 pm »

After reading the devlog I came here expecting to find someone had already designed a computer using runaway minecarts and pressurepads.  I'm slightly disappointed.

I'll probably do that - I think minecart logic would be a good alternative to the rather messy water logic system, since minecarts are discrete quantum that are more easily controlled, so long as all cart operations can be run in completely hermetically sealed chambers without needing dwarves to "kick" them off the stops. 

So long as tracks do not decay and minecart speeds are totally predictable products of Newtonian logic operated by applying gear power to them, we could operate our fortress on "Cart Clocks" where we have a cart going around a loop that has a pressure plate on the "12" (or 24) of the loop.  When this "hour hand" cart hits the "12", it could launch the "day hand" cart from its current stop one more step to the next stop.  Then, when the "day hand" hits 12 (or 24), the "month hand" moves, which moves the "year hand".

We could also easily set up the drawbridges over bends to form "T" junctions based upon the state of a pressure plate or gear mechanism, and use that as a means of setting up all the NAND or other boolean logic gates we want with carts as the discrete data packets.

It would even be a fairly simple switch to just have two "stops" with directional launchers that merely launch the cart back to the opposite launcher to operate as a "bit".  It's on the south stop?  It's a "0".  It's on the north stop? it's a "1".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

cswvna

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2012, 03:13:31 pm »

I don't think you'd use a shuttle for a single bit, when you could use differing weights to increase bit density. Even a cursory glance at rock densities reveals a 1300-class (coal, lignite), 2600 (most), 5000 (hematite), 6200 (cobaltite), 7500 (galena), 8900 (native copper), 19000 (gold)... I haven't even gone through the entire list yet! It would require a storage yard (reserve) for each bit-weight, and possibly a repacking area so an excess of one bit class could be changed to another bit class, but if it's possible to get weights of zero to fifteen, you only need two carts for a byte, and eight for thirty-two bits!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2012, 03:17:50 pm »

I don't think you'd use a shuttle for a single bit, when you could use differing weights to increase bit density. Even a cursory glance at rock densities reveals a 1300-class (coal, lignite), 2600 (most), 5000 (hematite), 6200 (cobaltite), 7500 (galena), 8900 (native copper), 19000 (gold)... I haven't even gone through the entire list yet! It would require a storage yard (reserve) for each bit-weight, and possibly a repacking area so an excess of one bit class could be changed to another bit class, but if it's possible to get weights of zero to fifteen, you only need two carts for a byte, and eight for thirty-two bits!

Yes, but every density would require a different pressure plate to measure them.  You're functionally trading carts for more pressure plates needed in measuring bits.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2012, 03:53:30 pm »

Yes, but every density would require a different pressure plate to measure them.  You're functionally trading carts for more pressure plates needed in measuring bits.

Heaven forbid we build something pointlessly complicated to do something that should be simple.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

cswvna

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2012, 05:09:50 pm »

I'm more thinking about running carts selected from a (single/multiple) large memory area (memory pages?) to a smaller measuring area(s), then running them back to their "address" for storing. For memory density, not speed or low latency. The faster areas (electronically, cache and tag RAM if you want the complication, but definitely CPU) would either follow your idea or the more conventional hydro-mechanical system.
Heaven forbid we build something pointlessly complicated to do something that should be simple.
Indeed. But it's just my opinion on where the pointlessly complicated part is best sited, and how it is best implemented. Or maybe I'm just thinking in terms of a scale where it would become a better method. Maybe as the equivalent of a hard disk...

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 15, 2012, 12:01:20 pm »

I wonder if we'll be able to have way-stops, for switching a load from one track to another. If we can, they could be convenient ways to store a high density information like this.

That depends. For a multiplexer, the high density would actually be less space and parts. For complex combinational logic, a bus of 4 tracks would be more efficent. 

And for long distances, if that ever comes to matter in DF, the denser data makes sense.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2012, 01:40:18 pm »

I'm no longer disappointed.  Thanks all :)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2012, 03:23:04 pm »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:22:24 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11