Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Carts and tracks  (Read 28609 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Carts and tracks
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 01:03:07 am »

Given how he's talking about wheelbarrows being part of embark, I'm assuming that what's going to happen is that stones are now going to need wheelbarrows or carts to move.

Hmmm. If so, moving stone out of the way for constructions is about to become extremely inconvenient.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 01:06:26 am »

I foresee minecart related injuries in the future. Will have to probably make them high traffic tiles so that dwarves don't get flattened. This is assuming they are powered minecarts (oh my...). I'm guessing it will more likely be push carts, so more stone/items can be hauled at a time.

As for the mining changes themselves, this would be pretty dwarfy.  But I figure the more likely scenario would be linked to the pathfinding fixes, where they won't run around in circles for 10 minutes to mine out 5 tiles.

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 01:24:24 am »

Man, Toady is just rolling out new features this year.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 01:27:16 am »

Given how he's talking about wheelbarrows being part of embark, I'm assuming that what's going to happen is that stones are now going to need wheelbarrows or carts to move.

I'm putting my money on it simply being faster to move stones with carts or wheelbarrows. All 25 cents of it!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 01:36:53 am »

I'm putting my money on it simply being faster to move stones with carts or wheelbarrows. All 25 cents of it!

I will throw my grubby Canadian penny into the pot and speculate that stonehauling sans wheelbarrows/carts will be made slower as a balance.

I doubt minecarts will impact pathing much as long as it's done right. Having predefined paths for dwarves to use may actually speed things up.
Quick FYI: I have next-to-no idea what I'm talking about, so feel free to disregard that last paragraph.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 01:38:53 am »

Given how he's talking about wheelbarrows being part of embark, I'm assuming that what

sounds to me like everyone worrying about what to do now hauling has been improved need not worry. The hauling team for siege cleanup now becomes the mining support and *tomfoolery squad. I approve of this.

* Those hairy bastards will find SOME way to mess up my finely tuned mining operations...

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 02:04:55 am »

Hey, now! Dwarves never spore out of wedlock!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:12:24 am by Lagslayer »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 02:06:00 am »

My guess is that mining will be somehow inhibited if you don't haul away all that stone.

Maybe tiles with large objects in them (like stones) will be harder to move through?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 02:16:48 am »

The thing that's intriguing me most is the last thing he mentions.

things will be much more efficient for people that use tracks and minecarts, across various industries.

So they won't just be mine carts. I assume they will integrate with stockpiles somehow and wonder if this will all be handled by dwarf AI or if it will be player managed.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Fireborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 03:00:12 am »

I'm gonna say Minecarts can hold several bins/barrels/furniture while a wheelbarrow will only make moving heavy things faster, but not greatly increase the number movable at one time.

The real question will be if we'll be able to install tracks on ramps...  and how may new bugs will scramble into the code with this log turned over.  :P

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 03:05:56 am »

WAT

TRACKS.  CARTS.

BRAIN ASPLODE.

I assume your next project will be to toss minecarts at sea monsters and see how they fare ?

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 03:29:05 am »

WAT

TRACKS.  CARTS.

BRAIN ASPLODE.

I assume your next project will be to toss minecarts at sea monsters and see how they fare ?

Minecart = ammunition for catapults?
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 04:05:40 am »

Hmmm. If so, moving stone out of the way for constructions is about to become extremely inconvenient.

Why will it? They'll need a wheel barrow to carry the construction material, after all.

Also, everyone going "Where's this come from?", it has been on the dev pages for a long time.

EDIT:

Specifically:

Quote from: Dev page
Hauling Improvements

Being able to haul multiple small objects
Having multiple dwarves involved with item hauling for a job
Being able to move multiple objects with roughly the same destination at once
Wheelbarrows to haul more objects than can be carried
Minecarts
Wooden, stone-carved and metal tracks
Can be filled like stockpiles and moved between destinations
Work animals to tow carts and haul objects
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 05:36:44 am »

I have no basis for it, but I'd imagine it would work as such: Default boulder hauling, one at a time as it is done now, can still be done by an idle dwarf. Wheelbarrows will allow dwarves to haul multiple pieces of stone to a stockpile at once, but they can't be stored in the stockpile within the wheelbarrow. And finally, the minecarts will allow dwarves to simply load stone onto them and let the carts go to the stockpiles.

banned4trolling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 06:04:44 am »

Dwarven logistics - this will be perhaps the best update ever.

Contemporary games haven't dealt with scaling in any meaningful way. If a game is designed to be played in a small scale (a dozen units and buildings) the interface usually becomes horribly tedious when the scale of the actual game exceeds the interface capabilities.

I love dwarf fortress for the logistical/interface/economical tools it offers to solve the management challenges of big forts. Stuff like dfhack's job manager, the in-game job manager and broker, advanced stockpile options and now improved hauling with carts and wheelbarrows.

Even though I don't&won't have the cash to pay the rent this update deserves at least a symbollic donation. I love where this is going.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11