Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Carts and tracks  (Read 28722 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: Carts and tracks
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2012, 07:07:44 pm »

I fear that this is going to be a complex update, taking months now; I was hoping to get the basic haulers carrying multiple items functionality quickly; but adding a mining overhall means we may have to wait a while.   :-\
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2012, 07:14:45 pm »

Mining isn't being overhauled, it's being tweaked.

And making minecarts physics is probably what's going to be taking the bulk of time for this release.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2012, 08:09:00 pm »

New devlog ! And pretty parabolic movement ! And dwarven rollercoasters !

In before we reach relativistic speed minecarts by letting minecarts go down an absurd amount of Z-levels.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2012, 08:24:32 pm »

We can make dwarven theme parks now, complete with a zoo of dangerous and exotic beast.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2012, 08:53:54 pm »

Ooh, I just got an idea: If you could put dwarves in mine-carts, and had a bunch of spares, you could launch dwarves into pits full of wild badgers!

Or, better, have the militia dive into combat on minecart-cannon-thingys!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2012, 08:55:34 pm »

We can make dwarven theme parks now, complete with a zoo of dangerous and exotic beast.

Plus magmafalls and cotton candy and prepared fly brain roasts *ahem* I mean "fresh hamburgers", and those rides where you get lifted up and then suddenly drop.

... You know, one of these days, they need to install the bungee cords in the dwarven version of the rides so that we get more repeat customers for the sudden drop ride.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2012, 09:05:44 pm »

Is anybody else impressed with the ludicrous speed at which these updates are coming out? I mean, three days ago Toady mentioned that he had finished updating parts of the hauling code, and now he's got minecarts with proper physics, as well as tracks to put them on.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2012, 09:23:11 pm »

Is anybody else impressed with the ludicrous speed at which these updates are coming out? I mean, three days ago Toady mentioned that he had finished updating parts of the hauling code, and now he's got minecarts with proper physics, as well as tracks to put them on.

This has been on the development page for about 3 years, so I'm guessing he already has most of it worked out. It's probably just a matter of implementing it.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2012, 09:56:29 pm »

You have to keep in mind that some code is easier than others. 

Toady spent the vast bulk of his time in the last release working out the basic structure of how interactions worked, but the giant procedural cities took a few weeks. 

He also did only a relatively minor tweak to hauling (and hasn't touched stacking yet, presumably) - basically, what the code seems to do is look for hauling jobs that are all going to the same stockpile, and grouping those jobs together.  There's still more to do after that before you can say you've truly perfected postman route problem hauling, although it is to be seen just how far he will go in that regard. 

The further you go, the more potential FPS inefficiency, but the greater the dwarf task completion efficiency
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2012, 11:41:57 pm »

So am I the only one who, reading about minecarts having parabolic arcs and crashing into the ground started wondering how hard it would be to set one up on rails on a looooooonnnnngggg incline to nothing and hit goblins with it? In an aiming sense, of course.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:49:05 pm by dizzyelk »
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2012, 11:55:57 pm »

We can test it with a friendly game of bowling with the goblins.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2012, 12:02:46 am »

So am I the only one who, reading about minecarts having parabolic arcs and crashing into the ground started wondering how hard it would be to set one up on rails on a looooooonnnnngggg incline to nothing and hit goblins with it? In an aiming sense, of course.

This is the Bay12 forums, is it not? I'm already thinking of setting up minecart launchers in a cliff face, to deal with sieges. Dwarves hop in the minecarts, they then go down a path to get some speed, before shooting out the hole in the cliff face and hopefully crashing down into the invaders, and then the Dwarves themselves get out and do their thing.

Basically, horizontally-launching Dwarven drop pods.

Although, depending on whether or not there's fall damage while in minecarts, you could possibly have them drop down from the sky proper, by setting up what is essentially an Orbital Magma Platform, exept replace the magma with minecarts.

And hey, if that fails, why not load the carts up with some ignited coal, send them on their way and have them fly off and spill their contents all over some grass, to burn the invaders with HOT DWARVEN RETRIBUTION. Bonus points if you instead use ignited corpses of previous invaders of the same race (meaning, Goblin corpses for Goblins attacking you, Elves for Elf attacks, and so on).

Look at that, coming up with ideas for something that's not even fully in just yet.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2012, 12:19:23 am »

It sounds like minecarts are projectiles.
I've put off updating the rest of the projectiles

But, if units that fly without wings get parabolic paths, it sounds like bridges maybe useful catapults for throwing your dwarves over walls and holes.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2012, 12:39:28 am »

But, if units that fly without wings get parabolic paths, it sounds like bridges maybe useful catapults for throwing your dwarves over walls and holes.

Or you could just.. build the bridge over the hole .. you know what, never mind. Your way is better.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2012, 12:50:51 am »

Or you could just.. build the bridge over the hole .. you know what, never mind. Your way is better.

Yeah, but some creatures just aren't so easily convinced to become living projectiles.  Or dead projectiles. 

Nothing like flinging a mountain of goblin skulls at the goblins as the first "warning shot", just to let them know that their corpses will be used for maximum efficiency - not a single part goes to anything but Fun!
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11