Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Carts and tracks  (Read 28619 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Carts and tracks
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 06:05:35 am »

I'm gonna say Minecarts can hold several bins/barrels/furniture while a wheelbarrow will only make moving heavy things faster, but not greatly increase the number movable at one time.

The real question will be if we'll be able to install tracks on ramps...  and how may new bugs will scramble into the code with this log turned over.  :P
Yea, as stated in the Dev Post, you can build tracks on ramps.

And I bet the minecarts are going to be more generic. They're just going to be carts, that be filled with stuff, probably similar to that of a bin or chest.

I also bet we'll get control over what goods go into what cargo cart. Probably similar screen with stockpile allowances.

So we can have cargo carts outside for, say logers who can load it with wood then when it gets full, sent to the fort underground to it's workshop.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 06:36:24 am »

no one mentioned the butcher workshop

huge improvement, right?
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

kragnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • !!noble!! is the most noble of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 08:10:50 am »

With the dwarf item movement system being improved, this is going to be a huge stone moving improvement.  Imagine vacuuming up a bunch of stone to be brought to work sites quickly and efficiently, without hoping that there are enough random dwarves free for stone hauling!

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 11:26:46 am »

Dwarf Minecart Tycoon my life is over.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 11:48:00 am »

Never forget.
TOADY IS GOD!
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 11:55:55 am »

Forget hauling, I want to set these up as a form of rapid transit. Or entertainment. Make a large, roughly circular series of tracks with occasional cutovers, line all your carts up and make them go while your off-duty dwarves watch from the stands. Call it NASCART.  :P

My first thought as to how to incorporate these into current floorplans would be to have a "track" level every three or four levels, with regularly-placed floor hatches and shafts on the other levels above it. When you have rock spall, refuse, whatever to be hauled, somebody just hauls it over to the nearest hatch, opens the floor grate, tosses it in, and it lands in one of a series of dumping platforms on the track level, which are all interconnected with tracks and connected to stockpiles. You'd have a dedicated crew of cart drivers down there (maybe even their own sleeping quarters and lunch room down there) and meanwhile the upper level dwarves only need to do minimal hauling to dispose of things.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 01:32:18 pm »

This combined with the clothing fixes are two of my personal wish list dealt with. I see my free time going away.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 01:44:41 pm »

My first thought as to how to incorporate these into current floorplans would be to have a "track" level every three or four levels, with regularly-placed floor hatches and shafts on the other levels above it. When you have rock spall, refuse, whatever to be hauled, somebody just hauls it over to the nearest hatch, opens the floor grate, tosses it in, and it lands in one of a series of dumping platforms on the track level, which are all interconnected with tracks and connected to stockpiles. You'd have a dedicated crew of cart drivers down there (maybe even their own sleeping quarters and lunch room down there) and meanwhile the upper level dwarves only need to do minimal hauling to dispose of things.

Yes, and incorporating this into the Dorftopia design, you have an upper class who does no work, other than carrying their meals (delivered by air lock, dump stack or catapult bridge, of course) to a table, and throw the refuse of it into these neat little floor hatches and disappear without a care in the world.  Never let the upper class see any of the filth and suffering of the working class living in the underbelly.  Bonus points if both the goods delivery AND the refuse dumping have air locks so there is no possible contact, or even LOS, between classes.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 06:40:13 pm »

you know that feeling where something is really awesome and it causes a minor swelling sensation in your chest?

this.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 07:12:45 pm »

The thing that's intriguing me most is the last thing he mentions.

things will be much more efficient for people that use tracks and minecarts, across various industries.

So they won't just be mine carts. I assume they will integrate with stockpiles somehow and wonder if this will all be handled by dwarf AI or if it will be player managed.

It's so obvious. Lead Minecart with several barrels of booze. HEAT shells away!
I LOST THE GAME

simonatkins

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 07:59:34 pm »

Tracks and Carts. It seems to be very interesting knowing that it would be a nice activity. I like topics like this and games like racing. Let's go then.

Balin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 08:57:11 pm »

carts and stone may possibly provide an alternative to liquids for DF computing

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 09:53:22 pm »

I wonder if cart collisions could be used to dispurse liquids stored in containers.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 10:47:03 pm »

Well, it looks like minecarts will be pulled by animals.

(look at dev page)
I LOST THE GAME

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 10:51:10 pm »

No, it says that there will be animal carts that don't use tracks. Quite the contrary, it says that minecarts hurl through the air, which would not make sense for a cart pulled by a beast of burden -- they're too slow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11