Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Worst Minecart Accidents?  (Read 6280 times)

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Minecart Accidents?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 11:21:23 pm »

Another solution would be to set up two pressure plates. The dwarf steps on the first pressure plate, changing the route of the track. When the dwarf steps on the second one, the track goes back to normal. Here's an illustration-

D
P
TTTTT
P
AAAA

Where D=Dwarf, P=Pressure Plate, T=Main Track, and A=Alternate Track

Of course, it would take some practice to get the timing of the pressure plate right, but once that's done, it's all good... 

Or... You could just build an underground crosswalk system...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:23:01 pm by DwarfMeister »

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 07:32:58 am »

I had a !!FUN!! idea. An entrance hallway that is quite long, filled with 15 or so dwarven supercolliders (circular tracks with acceleration tiles on them) filled with lead bars. I'd like to see what happens to the poor gobbo thief who wanders into that!

Gobbo thief?  Oh, you mean that bloody smear on the ground?

Next Dwarfmas, I think we'll have to make our own rendition of "Momma got run over by a Minecart"
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 10:41:09 pm »

Instead of making dwarf traffic blocked on intersecting carts, it's probably safer to block cart traffic when dwarves try to cross the track.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 11:24:43 pm »

I had a !!FUN!! idea. An entrance hallway that is quite long, filled with 15 or so dwarven supercolliders (circular tracks with acceleration tiles on them) filled with lead bars. I'd like to see what happens to the poor gobbo thief who wanders into that!
Gobbo thief?  Oh, you mean that bloody smear on the ground?

I am SO sigging this...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 01:07:25 am »

How are dwarfs savely going to harvest goblinite on the super coliders, and how is the caravan going to make it savely. And the diplomat, liaison and whatever
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 01:22:33 am »

How are dwarfs savely going to harvest goblinite on the super coliders, and how is the caravan going to make it savely. And the diplomat, liaison and whatever
This is just an architecture problem. If you want a traffic accident free fort, you want your tracks to be walled off (naturally or artificially) and preferably have pressure-plated doors.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 04:05:56 pm »

Bump for awesome minecart accident:

So I have a test fort going where the railway orders the minecarts to "ride always, no matter the contents". The track architecture was testing what happens with 3-way forks and a wall. So the minecart would get stopped by the wall and need to be manually carried over to the next stop a couple tiles away before the loop was repeated.

Well, one of my riders decided to take a nap (no rooms in this test fort!) - not sure if during or after the ride. He got off the minecart to sleep. Yes, sleep on the rails. A new vehicle operator dwarf comes along, takes the cart to the top of a ramp as ordered and ragerails over him.

The first hit: "Urist McSleeper is struck on the head by the minecart, jamming the skull through the brain"

The announcement: "Urist McSleeper, killed by a vehicle"

Awesome kill announcement with immediate kill confirmation (i.e. no 'Missing' state).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 04:12:41 pm »

I wonder if there's any way (syndromes perhaps?) to make a sleeping dwarf ride in a cart?  I can only imagine Urist McDriver asleep at the wheel, careening through the dining room, running people over....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 04:13:13 pm »

My miner has being shot down by minecart & didn't die instantly, he lying on the rail road loop & minecart is cutting him down piece by piece & it continued about 14 log pages until he finally die =)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 04:48:33 pm »

The first hit: "Urist McSleeper is struck on the head by the minecart, jamming the skull through the brain"

The announcement: "Urist McSleeper, killed by a vehicle"

Awesome kill announcement with immediate kill confirmation (i.e. no 'Missing' state).
Presumably the driver counted as a witness.  Although it's cool that there's an actual announcement for it (maybe it was already around for wagons?).

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 05:56:12 pm »

Urist was trying to build part of the track I was experimenting with, but unforutnately I forgot to turn the launch sequence off.

It didn't go well, especially the part of the combat report that went:

"The Miner's head skids along the ground, bruising the muscle and tearing apart the upper spine's nervous tissue through the goose leather hood!"
"The Miner loses hold of the slate."
"The miner loses hold of the copper pick"

Yep, it snapped his neck and he suffocated a few seconds later.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Magmodeus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 06:37:39 pm »

Alright my entrance was refitted for a minecart trap, a 1 tile tall and insanely long corridor with tracks paved on it, the tracks would end next to a chute/pit that would drop the idiot who triggered the trap into the awaiting animal pit. The trap would separate an invader from the group because it would make the trap easier to reload. So there was a siege, everything was set up, minecart ready to go at the speed of sanic to ram the invaders. A dorf decides "Hey. I'll cut through the trap with our invisible master not noticing". I trigger the trap and then I just saw Urist McDumbass get rammed into a wall and drop into a pit of badgers. I laughed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:40:42 pm by Magmodeus »
Pages: 1 [2]