Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 244443 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1320 on: May 12, 2012, 01:20:37 am »

Keeping the whales from drowning would be difficult; a cage full of jabberers would be much more effective.

I actually don't care if they drown, so long as their corpses weigh down the minecart sufficiently.

I think that, perhaps, some of the mermaid bone harvesting data could also be used on sperm whales, assuming I can find a map with enough of them.  And assuming that they actually reproduce....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 12, 2012, 01:27:22 am »

According to the raws they will reproduce, reaching sexual maturity in one year. They aren't a full 25,000,000 until age 10, though. If you can keep them on your map for a year or so, the females should start giving birth.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 12, 2012, 02:42:25 am »

Tested flaming arrows in arena mode. Made some wood arrows and a fire imp. Breathed fire on the arrows to get them burning. Had the imp jump off a cliff and created a human archer and elf target. Had human pick up the ‼oaken arrows [100]‼ and fire some at the elf. Several arrows got "lodged firmly in the wound".

Turns out flaming arrows in 0.34.07 can set people on fire (Fire damage got tweaked back in 0.34.01). This tends to lead to burning clothing, melted fat, bleeding, and burning corpses. Flaming bolt shotguns are therefore potentially much more lethal than other projectiles.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 12, 2012, 02:53:59 am »

Of course, this leads to the new way of training dodging in your populace
a dining hall at the end of a dwarfen shotgun. wwill they dodge the scatter of doom, or will the weak be weeded out?
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 12, 2012, 03:01:25 am »

Chances are your legendary weaponsmiths, miners, and axelords will be the first to take a bolt to the head and keel over, and all you'll have left is a couple lye makers :P

I like the idea of flaming arrows quite a bit. Perhaps I will award myself an adventure-mode reaction to set my arrows on fire before launching them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #1325 on: May 12, 2012, 03:23:56 am »

Tested flaming arrows in arena mode. Made some wood arrows and a fire imp. Breathed fire on the arrows to get them burning. Had the imp jump off a cliff and created a human archer and elf target. Had human pick up the ‼oaken arrows [100]‼ and fire some at the elf. Several arrows got "lodged firmly in the wound".

Turns out flaming arrows in 0.34.07 can set people on fire (Fire damage got tweaked back in 0.34.01). This tends to lead to burning clothing, melted fat, bleeding, and burning corpses. Flaming bolt shotguns are therefore potentially much more lethal than other projectiles.

So, we might want to fill carts with wooden bolts and send them through the magma waterfall before having them crash into our enemies?  Weaponizing minecarts may be the most !!fun!! we've had in ages....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #1326 on: May 12, 2012, 03:26:41 am »

Of course, this leads to the new way of training dodging in your populace
a dining hall at the end of a dwarfen shotgun. wwill they dodge the scatter of doom, or will the weak be weeded out?

I love how that idea puts the danger back in "danger room" :)

I wonder how much you train dodge when you grapeshot the dining room with 9,001 copper coins?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 12, 2012, 07:51:30 am »

Either the lag from all the sudden calculation makes you computer combust, everyone dies, or LEGENDARY DODGER ATTAINED
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 12, 2012, 08:15:54 am »

Either the lag from all the sudden calculation makes you computer combust, everyone dies, or LEGENDARY DODGER ATTAINED
Urist McEatingLunch dodges the spinning copper coin! (x90)
Urist McEatingLunch has fainted from exertion.
Urist McEatingLunch is struck by the spinning copper coin! (x8911)
Urist McEatingLunch has died.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 12, 2012, 08:34:52 am »

You encrust your gems with more gems? Who are you, Xzibit?

However, this sounds like the best way ever to trade with Elves.

Broker: "Don't worry, we're transferring the goods now. They'll be here in a second."

Elf: "There had better be no wood, little man."

Broker: "No, no, of course not! We would never dream of offending such illustrious traders as you. Now, please excuse me for a second."
(Broker leaves)
Elf: "Is that a cart I hear?"

It's part of the large gem stockpile problem. The gemcutters make a large gem and then it sits in the jewlers depot so when it comes time to encrust items it's always the closest one. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 12, 2012, 09:16:20 am »

Code: [Select]
___   _#_g_#
   \~/
Side view: Minecart laden with wooden arrows and/or bolts (training spears?) comes in from the left, takes a small dip down into magma, and continues to strike the fortification, the sudden stop making the bolts fly, and since it's a fortification they should fly straight through and shotgun into the goblin.

Ideally, you would do so during the siege.  Like, when your soldiers are out fighting.  Just area-deny the whole damn battlefield, casualties be damned.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 12, 2012, 09:51:34 am »

Sounds like an excellent last ditch effort if your military got screwed.
I make Spellcrafts!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 12, 2012, 10:32:25 am »

Hmmm. Think it would be possible to do the same kind of thing with a granite firetrap? IE, put 100 wooden bolts or so into either granite or fireproof minecart, set bolts on fire by driving through fire or lighting granite (Can we auto-load?) then launching. This could very well light every seiger on fire plus every plant on the map.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1333 on: May 12, 2012, 10:33:51 am »

Tested flaming arrows in arena mode.

Any reliable way to replicate this in fort mode?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 12, 2012, 11:12:39 am »

Tested flaming arrows in arena mode.

Any reliable way to replicate this in fort mode?
Mod in a self igniting material that you can make arrows of of course! :P
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 95