Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 244219 times)

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1365 on: May 13, 2012, 06:34:05 pm »

Water would be unlikely to push carts very quickly, and it's not as though it would be difficult to make your cart launcher 10 tracks wide, and launch 10 in quick succession from each track.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: May 13, 2012, 09:08:57 pm »

Water is undoubtedly the worst choice of propulsion.  Gravity, rollers, and even dwarven legs would be quicker.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #1367 on: May 13, 2012, 09:55:39 pm »

Anyone willing to find a way to use water pressure or something of the sort to push multiple carts at once and make a rail shotgun?

You should be able to just power a bunch of rollers at once to get them all moving together, so long as they're alike enough to get accelerated by the same amount.  Otherwise, you might have the Newton's cradle thing going on, which could also be entertaining.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: May 13, 2012, 10:13:51 pm »

I'm not a fan of this update. I was completely uninterested in building minecarts or wheelbarrows, but now that regular stone hauling has been slowed down I'm basically forced to use them.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: May 13, 2012, 10:15:33 pm »

There might be applications for low-speed cart impacts. Since falling 1z doesn't cause injury, perhaps a cart going at the right speed might shift a creature without hurting it.

Would creatures auto-dodge a cart even if it's moving slowly? That could make the most horrible bridge dodge trap ever. The cart inches across the bridge, and goblins in its path swan dive into the chasm.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #1370 on: May 14, 2012, 12:12:08 am »

There might be applications for low-speed cart impacts. Since falling 1z doesn't cause injury, perhaps a cart going at the right speed might shift a creature without hurting it.

Would creatures auto-dodge a cart even if it's moving slowly? That could make the most horrible bridge dodge trap ever. The cart inches across the bridge, and goblins in its path swan dive into the chasm.

I believe they can also stop carts.  So you probably want carts moving fast enough that they cannot be stopped.  I had thought about that, too, before getting distracted with visions of magma-filled minecarts.  My conclusion was that you should make it either-or:  die to the dwarven railgun, or dive into the pit of doom.  Given that we can apparently combine tracks with pressure plates, you just make sure that your trigger is near the end of the hallway, then you can take out an entire siege at once.  And if you can't make a long enough hall, just block off some of the corners so the cart doesn't derail until you want it to.  And with proper holding tracks, the trap should be able to automatically reset itself.

The next release of DF will probably play like a demented cross between Railroad Tycoon and Dungeonkeeper.  That's probably why everyone is so excited....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: May 14, 2012, 05:29:40 am »

If you get legendary dodgers, ut them in a 1 tile wide hallway and accelerate a cart at them, causing themto dodge along the hallway at ludicrous sppeds.
the dwarfen teleport
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: May 14, 2012, 05:39:13 am »

Why not a set of parallel tracks with rollers at each end that send carts hurtling back-and-forth?  Put some dwarves in there and watch them dodge like mad!

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: May 14, 2012, 07:33:47 am »

OK, first thing to note- I had been assuming we would need to make tracks of minimum length 2, but by creatively cancelling jobs, you can make 1 tile tracks (eg for corners) easily enough.

In other news, I haven't got as far as weaponising minecarts yet, but I have pancaked a disposable peasant while testing the possibilities of replacing stonefall traps with the-entire-fortress-stockpile-fall traps.

Next up- how much damage does a falling corpse do?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: May 14, 2012, 07:41:23 am »

so much science to be done in the all new 34.08
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: May 14, 2012, 07:45:30 am »

so much science to be done in the all new 34.08
Not exactly ‼SCIENCE‼ but I can confirm that dwarves with wheelbarrows are SOOOO cute!!!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: May 14, 2012, 07:48:47 am »

now that is just wrong
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: May 14, 2012, 09:46:57 am »

Quote from: Toady One The Great
Released Dwarf Fortress 0.34.08
Let there be blood.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: May 14, 2012, 10:08:01 am »

I think my first experiment will probably trying to do a jump- i.e. building some track in the air but removing a few sections trying to get a cart to make the jump.

Yes, let there be blood! And calculus.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: May 14, 2012, 10:25:53 am »

I'm wondering if you could use a dwarven shotgun loaded with hundreds of harmless, light items as a kind of instant "danger room".
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 95