Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 242902 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:46:57 pm »

Quote from: Toady One The Great
You can carve tracks in stone now. I haven't done the wooden/metal constructed tracks yet. I haven't done minecarts either, but that's next. Tracks can be carved in stone floors or stone ramps, and it keeps track of the four directions in each tile so that you can have adjacent parallel tracks or carve writing into your fort without using too many tiles. For minecarts to make sense for mining, we'll have to change how mining works, but I want to get the carts moving first. By the time we're done, we're hoping to have the mining system remain about the same for new people, so they don't have to worry about tracks to get started (this might involve default embark wheelbarrows which dwarves would automatically use), but things will be much more efficient for people that use tracks and minecarts, across various industries.
I... I am a rather prolific writer and a connoisseur of language.  On a dare, I wrote a 5 page opening chapter on nothing more than rain.  I have done such things with words as to make an otherwise unthinkable scenario into a vividly detailed, painted, masterful landscape of activity - one of my personal favorite achievements because an explicit fanfic between a Klingon Bird of Prey and the Enterprise.  That being, the ships.  Not the crew, but the ships themselves being explicit.

I can summon no words to accurately portray my level of awe and stupefyingly grand ideals at this simple prospect.  Dwarven Minecarts.  Let me say that again.  Dwarven Minecarts.  That is, the little drunken naked bastards are now clothed and no longer shuffling about the fort, but blazing around at the speed of an industry powerhouse totally devoid of OSHA approved conditions and fueled primarily by the least environmentally friendly power generations ever created and the screams of damned children.

Hauling itself is going to see an overhaul.  More than likely, this change will also drastically reduce the hauling speed of civilians, lending stone transport to become an extremely labor-intensive task that may take days to carry one stone.  Instead, carts will obviously be preferred to transport heavy materials over long distances.  (This is all conjecture, I have no proof that hauling will become more difficult.)  Since Toady also implies that other industries will profit, we may see many fortresses with dedicated cart networks to ship resources from farm to still to individual bedrooms to the clothier's sections.  This might also allow for some very clean hallways.  No longer needing to share hallways space with hauler access, a few access tracks set into the wall could allow hauling to continue "out of sight" from the main fortress, with a flurry of activity and movement hidden cleanly from the main hallways.

And Toady does, ever-so-casually, drop this massive feature on the devlog like "Oh btw I made everything 100x more awesome."  The further-reaching implications are even heavier.  Moving units via cart could herald a new age of warfare, with the first mounted infantry not riding bears or elephants as we all hoped, but rather strapped to an iron war machine and hurled face-first into the goblin sieges.  Recovering wounded would obviously become much simpler, with many fortresses having a hospital that resembles Grand Central Station both in size and the amount of traffic.  Delivering and retrieving soldiers could take on a whole realm of possibilities, especially if pressure plates will react to carts then the amount of computational possibilities and one-way gates becomes downright incredible.

Even without transporting units, the prospect of cleanup and stone movement becomes intense.  Sieges?  We have a corpse cart for that now, which runs along the killing field and piles in goblin and elf corpses before running off a ramp and diving into magma.  A new cart will be forged of their melted weapons and used for the next siege!

If they're involved in combat reports...
The rolling +Iron Minecart+ strikes the goblin in the lower body, bruising the guts and severing the lower spine!

If they can be modded, even a little...  Just the smallest hint of data in the raws...  Good god...

I give up on sleep, I'm going to be excited until this next release, and then I'm going to remain excited after it.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:48:05 pm »

There's already a thread discussing this..

(The weird hauling one)
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:49:07 pm »

Now there's a thread purely on minecarts.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 10:50:34 pm »

You just have to be special.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 10:51:00 pm »

All I know is I want to be able to shove my military in them and have them roll toward invaders at blinding speed.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:51:48 pm »

Or, to put it less eloquently, “fuck yeah!”

Why do all of the exciting things happen when I'm busy destroying suns?
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:52:06 pm »

We now need explosives.
I LOST THE GAME

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:53:04 pm »

'Video of dwarves in a minecart throwing war elephants and drinking magma'

DWARF FORTRESS, FUCK YEAH!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 10:55:53 pm »

Well, again, I'm not sure if you people care, but what minecarts can do has been discussed before, as a thought experiment type deal

I'd expect of Toady a Rollercoaster Tycoon style of physics, where we can send carts filled with magma or something flying off the tracks after building up speed, and dumping their cargo into the grass to set the fields ablaze when the gobbos come-a-callin'.

Anyway, he also mentioned things about how it seems like we will be able to have "automated supply chains" of a sort, where we can set up minecarts from our pig tail fields to our farmer's workshops, and then to our dyers, then to our looms, and finally to the clothing stockpile, and so cut a lot of the "hoofing it" out of hauling from stockpile to workshop and back.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:34 pm »

I can't decide what my first big project will be.  Probably some science tests on travel, falling speed, damage, weight capacity, etc...

First real project, probably something to do with "the new falling rock trap" complete with platinum-packed minecarts.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 10:58:08 pm »

Mine will be the rollercoaster cannon

in the shape of a bent J

facing into a volcano

the cart will be made out of lignite and holding as much booze as possible.

Dwarf fortress.

Jalapeño Cheesepuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 10:59:15 pm »

So, then, will minecarts simply be a more efficient alternative to the wheelbarrow (both dwarf powered, but able to carry more objects/travel at a faster rate, albeit with a limited range of movement), or will they be more like wagons (pulled by an assigned beast of burden)?.

The other possiblity is that the 'tracks' are directly powered, causing the cart to move (or powers some imaginary belts that move the cart). That seems entirely too magical, though.  ???
 ;D
"The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr. Brain has long since departed"

-Edmund Blackadder

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 10:59:52 pm »

I can't decide what my first big project will be.  Probably some science tests on travel, falling speed, damage, weight capacity, etc...

First real project, probably something to do with "the new falling rock trap" complete with platinum-packed minecarts.

A circular Dwarf Hadron Collider should be your first project, perhaps attempt to discover (Or create) The Dorf Boson. (Or the Urist Boson if you prefer)
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 11:00:00 pm »

I'd like to see kennel-to-entrance Scorpion hauling system.

Delivering happy little bundles of joy legs and stings and pain to your goblin friends when they come ringing the doorbell.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 11:01:20 pm »

So, then, will minecarts simply be a more efficient alternative to the wheelbarrow (both dwarf powered, but able to carry more objects/travel at a faster rate, albeit with a limited range of movement), or will they be more like wagons (pulled by an assigned beast of burden)?.

The other possiblity is that the 'tracks' are directly powered, causing the cart to move (or powers some imaginary belts that move the cart). That seems entirely too magical, though.  ???
 ;D
We don't know anything yet.  But, I'm going to assume right now that they will be primarily dwarf-powered or animal-powered, with the majority being gravity-powered.

Also that's right.  Dwarven Supercolider is a must.  What's a dwarf version of CERN?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 95