Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 244449 times)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1335 on: May 12, 2012, 11:40:10 am »

Sounds like an excellent last ditch effort if your military got screwed.
why wait until then?
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 12, 2012, 12:34:37 pm »

Tested flaming arrows in arena mode.

Any reliable way to replicate this in fort mode?
Bonfire mod. Optional bonus difficulty: light the minecart's contents without losing a dwarf.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 12, 2012, 01:35:43 pm »

Have your archers fire through a magma fall? You might have to mod and give them [MAGMAVISION]. Though by the time of the next release, liquids will slow down moving creatures/objects, so we'll see if that would still work.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 12, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »

Think of the destruction a few coins flying out a cart at terminal velocity could do.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 12, 2012, 03:31:32 pm »

New, from urist inc- the autostaker. vampire in a 1x1 room that is sealed. fire dwarfen shotgun filled with wooden bolts or spears into the room. bam! one terminally perforated vampire. for bonus points, have tyhe 1x1 room contain a lever that the vamp pulls. the lever sealt the room and triggers the spear loaded cart.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 12, 2012, 04:28:02 pm »

Traditionally, flying objects would ignore magma, and only care about their surroundings when they strike terrain or a creature.  Firing bolts through magma wouldn't touch the bolts.  However, a magma-dip BEFORE being airborne, would ignite them.

Of course, with all the changes to flight you may be able to set flying bolts alight now.  We'll see.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 12, 2012, 06:12:02 pm »

New, from urist inc- the autostaker. vampire in a 1x1 room that is sealed. fire dwarfen shotgun filled with wooden bolts or spears into the room. bam! one terminally perforated vampire. for bonus points, have tyhe 1x1 room contain a lever that the vamp pulls. the lever sealt the room and triggers the spear loaded cart.

Magmaproof lever/mechanism, retracting bridge as one wall. Lever raises the bridge sealing the room and requests a cart full of magma be auto dumped on the tile from above. Pressure plate down the track for the departing cart lowers the drawbridge, drains out the magma, cart returns to station to be run again, room is ready for reuse.

PoodleIncident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 12, 2012, 07:09:33 pm »

Have your archers fire through a magma fall? You might have to mod and give them [MAGMAVISION]. Though by the time of the next release, liquids will slow down moving creatures/objects, so we'll see if that would still work.

Something tells me this may be even more !!FUN!! than you are planning... iirc, magmavision is what lets your dorfs path through magma.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: May 13, 2012, 02:34:47 am »

1. Acquire many severed heads by whatever means, and a necromancer.
2. Load heads onto minecart.
3. Send minecart past secured necromancer to animate heads.*
4. Dip minecart in magma to ignite heads.
5. Launch heads at siege.

*Do we know if this stage will work? (i.e. will the heads remain on the cart?)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: May 13, 2012, 02:36:56 am »

Why not acquire multiple body parts? I think that they'd need to be in a train, because IIRC only one creature can occupy a cart.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 13, 2012, 04:04:09 am »

I would suggest launching the undead-to-be into the field while they're inanimate, then exposing a necromancer to them from a fortified position. That will guarantee that they all wind up where you want them. Hopefully.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #1346 on: May 13, 2012, 05:07:21 am »

I would suggest launching the undead-to-be into the field while they're inanimate, then exposing a necromancer to them from a fortified position. That will guarantee that they all wind up where you want them. Hopefully.

In theory, they might not animate while in the cart.  I suggest loading them, then setting them on fire via magma, then having the necromancer see them when they're launched or just after they hit the ground.

We have so much !!science!! to look forward to.....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: May 13, 2012, 06:37:43 am »

I'm curious to see what kind of insane analogue dwarven computer people will come up with, myself.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 13, 2012, 09:18:05 am »

If anything happens, then the reanimate bodies will become suddenly alive and leave the cart, jamming your railway with dozens of zombies and sending an empty cart to fly into the enemy.

I'd think that the animation process would need to happen on the field, or in-flight.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: May 13, 2012, 09:45:45 am »

This will be released before June, right?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 95