Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 243260 times)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1380 on: May 14, 2012, 10:29:02 am »

Heh heh - designated first track, sorted out the routing, just a little railway from my main stone pile to the ore pile next to the smelter.  I thought to myself "I know, I'll set it to 'push' the empty carts back, rather than guide them - that should save time!"

The maple minecart strikes The Puppy in the right front leg, shattering the bone!
The Puppy's left front paw skids along the ground, shattering the bone!
The Puppy's upper body skids along the ground, bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung!
The Puppy is having trouble breathing!
The Puppy's tail skids along the ground, shattering the bone!
The Puppy gives in to pain.
The Puppy's left front leg skids along the ground, bruising the muscle!
The Puppy slams into an obstacle!

Yeah, minecarts and pets don't mix, kids!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: May 14, 2012, 10:37:42 am »

How do you actually get the carts onto the track?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: May 14, 2012, 10:48:21 am »

Heh heh - designated first track, sorted out the routing, just a little railway from my main stone pile to the ore pile next to the smelter.  I thought to myself "I know, I'll set it to 'push' the empty carts back, rather than guide them - that should save time!"

The maple minecart strikes The Puppy in the right front leg, shattering the bone!
The Puppy's left front paw skids along the ground, shattering the bone!
The Puppy's upper body skids along the ground, bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung!
The Puppy is having trouble breathing!
The Puppy's tail skids along the ground, shattering the bone!
The Puppy gives in to pain.
The Puppy's left front leg skids along the ground, bruising the muscle!
The Puppy slams into an obstacle!

Yeah, minecarts and pets don't mix, kids!

Sigqvoted.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sanguine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: May 14, 2012, 10:51:22 am »

Anybody worked out how to attach a ramp to a track yet?
Once liquids are implemented properly, you could set up a mandatory test involving potential military dwarves swim through a sea of blood on their way through the testing.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: May 14, 2012, 10:53:02 am »

How do you actually get the carts onto the track?

Hauling menu (h).  Create a route. Create 2 or more stopping points on the route. Back to the route, assign a minecart.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: May 14, 2012, 10:53:31 am »

Yep.

Press 'h' to go to the new hauling menu.  Then you designate a route, using stops at the ends of your tracks, and the actions to take at those stops. Then you assign a vehicle to the route that you've just designated, and choose one of your new minecarts.

Like all DF user interfaces, it's incredibly useful and detailed, while being amazingly obscure and eccentric.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: May 14, 2012, 11:08:29 am »

I'm going to have to use my testing fort to play around with minecarts, I think.  Gonna wait a day or two for last-minute bugfixes, etc, before properly digging in though.

And for those that suddenly thought of GlaDOS at the mention of me having a testing facility, don't worry.  I don't emotionally toy with the test subjects fortress inhabitants, I just abuse both them and physics to create nightmarish constructs of engineering.

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: May 14, 2012, 11:09:15 am »

It would be interesting if the game caused piles of items beyond a certain number of items to spread out to adjacent tiles, potentially causing injury if the movement was large enough. However, it would cause quantum piles to generate lag as the game attempts to smudge them, if the pile is trapped in a small space where the items can't go anywhere. It wouldn't really add anything to the game except players trolling kobolds by putting 5000x gold mugs in a 1x1 closet kept shut by a locked door.

Make it walnuts and I'm in.
"Extinction is not an option."

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: May 14, 2012, 11:19:11 am »

Aw maaaaan, why'd it have to happen during finals...

I'm also really excited about the fact that falling objects can cause damage, now. One of the best defenses might now be a quantum stockpile on a trapdoor above your entrance. And flavor-wise, there's so many options! Anvils, skulls of their brethren, caged prisoners...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:23:26 am by Old Greg »

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1389 on: May 14, 2012, 11:22:01 am »

Anybody worked out how to attach a ramp to a track yet?
I thought I had, but the hauling screen says my track is incomplete.  So, no.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: May 14, 2012, 11:33:45 am »

You deconstruct the ramp and replace it with a trackramp.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: May 14, 2012, 11:43:27 am »

Can somebody explain how I do a corner curve?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: May 14, 2012, 11:45:18 am »

I think you have to overlap two tracks
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: May 14, 2012, 11:48:13 am »

Note, if you place a crossing under a stop accidentally, all loaded goods will just randomly be dumped next to the cart and not actually put in... ;P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: May 14, 2012, 11:54:06 am »

Derrrrrp.

You know what? Would somebody who's more or less figured out how to work these start a "Minecarts 101" page on the wiki?

The wiki needs love, actually...

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95