Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 243266 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1395 on: May 14, 2012, 11:57:09 am »

No but I could explain most of it here...

Carve tracks with designations, T, or build from the construction section, where you can also build stops.
When designating track it puts it in a straight line and automatically makes corners. When building manually you can decide exactly what segmet to build.
Place a track stop on a track, and set the friction and how it stops things.
Use h to set up routes, this allows you to mark the stops and put the vehicle that'll be used, then for each stop explain exactly when to take things, where to take them from, whether to dump, etc.
Then set up the stockpiles nearby, link the accordingly, set up the give/not give so everything moves where you want, then wait forthem to be pushed!
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1396 on: May 14, 2012, 11:58:02 am »

Can minecarts leave the map?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:07:25 pm by bmaczero »
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: May 14, 2012, 12:01:21 pm »

Can somebody explain how I do a corner curve?
You designate the corner square twice - once in the E/W direction, then once in the N/S direction (or vice versa of course)
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: May 14, 2012, 12:05:20 pm »

Yay new release!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: May 14, 2012, 12:06:58 pm »

Carve tracks with designations, T, or build from the construction section, where you can also build stops.
When designating track it puts it in a straight line and automatically makes corners. When building manually you can decide exactly what segmet to build.
Place a track stop on a track, and set the friction and how it stops things.
Use h to set up routes, this allows you to mark the stops and put the vehicle that'll be used, then for each stop explain exactly when to take things, where to take them from, whether to dump, etc.
Then set up the stockpiles nearby, link the accordingly, set up the give/not give so everything moves where you want, then wait forthem to be pushed!
Have you figured out how to jump them yet?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: May 14, 2012, 12:08:34 pm »

I've posted on Emily's talk page with a request for a Minecarts 101 Wiki page.

Maybe we could all help out once that's up? The wiki needs more love.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1401 on: May 14, 2012, 01:01:51 pm »

I figured out how to get a complete track on a ramp.  You may have to order a track built in open or solid space, or cancel one after it's been ordered, but you can do it.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 14, 2012, 08:52:19 pm »

I'm going to have to use my testing fort to play around with minecarts, I think.  Gonna wait a day or two for last-minute bugfixes, etc, before properly digging in though.

And for those that suddenly thought of GlaDOS at the mention of me having a testing facility, don't worry.  I don't emotionally toy with the test subjects fortress inhabitants, I just abuse both them and physics to create nightmarish constructs of engineering.

Translation: "Don't worry, I'm not a psychopathic scientist! I'm just your average Bay12er!"

This is not reassuring. at least, it wouldn't be if we weren't all exactly the same.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Triskelli

• Bay Watcher
  • A man of wealth and taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: May 14, 2012, 09:02:45 pm »

I'm sorry, I *have* to cross-post from the SA forums.

Quote from: BadMunki
Don't test, do. The first rule of dwarven science is the assumption that it will work because it must work.

Second rule of Dwarven Science?  Report your findings up to and including the first casualty.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 14, 2012, 10:33:01 pm »

I'm sorry, I *have* to cross-post from the SA forums.

Quote from: BadMunki
Don't test, do. The first rule of dwarven science is the assumption that it will work because it must work.

Second rule of Dwarven Science?  Report your findings up to and including the first casualty.

Challenge Accepted

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: May 15, 2012, 03:02:41 am »

So, what are up with hauling routes?

I tried to set up a single track, that gets trasnversed back and forth, but the hualing route seems it wants a circular path.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 15, 2012, 03:20:41 am »

I tried to set up a single track, that gets trasnversed back and forth, but the hualing route seems it wants a circular path.
I've got a couple of back-and-forth tracks that work just fine.  What are your settings for the two stops?

PS - a one-stop railgun works just fine too...
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 15, 2012, 07:39:03 am »

I've got a couple of back-and-forth tracks that work just fine.  What are your settings for the two stops?

PS - a one-stop railgun works just fine too...

oh good.
after all, destructions no fun if it takes hours of micromanaging and then it still doesn't work

Also, does firing a minecart at a fortinifaction cause the contents to go flying out through the fortification? because if so, then the easiest tigger for shotguns is possible
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:48:46 am by flieroflight »
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 16, 2012, 04:48:00 pm »

Minecarts are too complicated. There has to be a simpler way.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: May 16, 2012, 05:00:05 pm »

There's never a simpler way with dwarves!

The shotgun thing works. Girlinhat came up with a good method:

gF-^^^^^=====#
This is my design, poorly explained.  - is rail, ^ are ramps up, = are rollers, # is the constructed stop.  Keep in mind that the ramps actually go up, so this isn't all flat, it's spread over several Z levels.
1: The cart is on the stop, with the orders "Load spears, wait until full, push south" (my actual design faces north to south but it's the same thing).
2: The rollers are bugged and always on, so as soon as the cart hits the rollers it gains speed at "Fastest".
3: The cart goes downhill very fast.
4: The final piece of track at the very bottom is a 1 long N/S rail - NOT just north NOR just south.
5: The cart hits the fortification and contents spill out violently.

This is currently triggered by me manually editing the hauling route and changing it to "at 0%".  When rollers are fixed, then the rollers will be on a lever so that the cart rests atop the rollers idly until the lever is pulled, power is supplied, and the cart is launched.

The only things I can think to note here are that the cart slams directly into a fortification while on a N/S rail, and that the cart is traveling about 2 ticks per tile.  I followed it, paused, and hit . to count, it obtains ludicrous speeds.

So basically, a line of five rollers at the top of a hill with a stop behind them where dwarves prepare the cart. The hill is 5 z-levels tall, with ramps on each level, and at the bottom is a single track before a fortification. Research by Psieye concludes that the tile above the last track at the bottom must be empty space in order for the contents of the cart to fire properly. And Girlinhat noted that the payload itself will obtain ludicrous velocity and distance. Oh so much fun to be had when I get around to making some of these...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95