Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.5%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 210 (32.6%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 641

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 720478 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #1035 on: July 19, 2014, 12:44:58 pm »

A note on those versions I posted:
They crash if you start stonesense with either of the generated CSV files open.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1036 on: July 20, 2014, 12:01:14 pm »

A note on those versions I posted:
They crash if you start stonesense with either of the generated CSV files open.

Ahahaha, that may explain a few things...

Okay, so today's update is Roots, fruit and snow.
There's also a new tile for smoothed branches, but that won't show up here because that's only for elven trees.
I'm thinking of doing some stuff to the fruit so it won't clip as much.
I'm also a bit conflicted with the snow. In the end it was too bright so I halved the opacity so it won't stand out so much...
After this there's still the dead-branches and twigs to configure. As well as sprites for the burning branches(!) but the above ground generic tree is mostly done now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jr4tcsydukz27l/DF_2014_Trees.zip
(The above version is currently stuck in winter-time, but it's here to make sure that it won't get lost in serious cases.)

Next up is the shrooms.

Also, a call for help:
Right now Dwarf Fortress has around 60 trees that can bear fruit!
That's a damn lot of fruit!

So, I want to ask everyone to try and draw a fruit that shows up on their current embark(r whatever they fancy), following the following guidelines:
*The fruit should in the end fit on a 32x20 tile in the end.
*I drew the apples at 8x8~ but just use your instinct to determine the correct size.
*Try draw several of them, this way we can group them or vary them.
*Try to keep it pixel-art, this way several different fruits won't interfere due to aesthetical difference.

I think that if everyone chips in on this, we'll be much further than me just doing it alone!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:08:30 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1037 on: July 21, 2014, 09:17:49 am »

Okay, you can go look at shrooms now+trees-foliage now has shadow. I'm doing something very hacky to achieve this(namely draw the shadow 4 times with different y-offsets before the actual canopy), but I think it helps putting in definition. Unfortunatly, I can't put it properly underneath hanging tree-trunk without issues.
I seperated the bark from the wood for the mushrooms, this allows me to have a different colour for the bark and thus more prettiness(also, this'll make doing brich a little easier when I did the same thing with regular wood)
I am also using the variationtype="four" to clean up the xmls further.

Caldfir, if you could be so kind, could you update the SpriteGuide.txt with how variationtype works? I had to go into the code, and do some trial and error to figure out how to use it...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jr4tcsydukz27l/DF_2014_Trees.zip
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:19:29 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 21, 2014, 09:52:40 am »

Okay, so here's what I know about leaves, fruits, etc so far:

There's no way to tell if a particular tree part has them.

The only way to tell is to read the raws, and from there figure out where they're applied and when.

Problem is, each tree has different IDs for different growths, and not every tree has the same growths, so we'll need to figure out how to do generic stuff.

We're getting there, though.

EmielRegis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 21, 2014, 04:11:44 pm »

I have problem. When using pack from PeridexisErrant I load save and then write "stonesense overlay" in console. Sadly it gives no effect beside that I cant control anything on screen. I can see window with stonesense logo but thats all. 

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1040 on: July 21, 2014, 04:23:38 pm »

I have problem. When using pack from PeridexisErrant I load save and then write "stonesense overlay" in console. Sadly it gives no effect beside that I cant control anything on screen. I can see window with stonesense logo but thats all. 
What happens if you only type stonesense? What does the console say?

Raziel_Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 21, 2014, 11:54:45 pm »

Hello, thank you for all your hard work on this. I was curious on how to get this working on the OS X (particularly the Maverick os). Does anyone have any instructions or best advice for this? I would like to try to do it with out any vms but if that is what is needed, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:59:12 pm by Raziel_Blaze »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 22, 2014, 01:00:05 am »

Hello, thank you for all your hard work on this. I was curious on how to get this working on the OS X (particularly the Maverick os). Does anyone have any instructions or best advice for this? I would like to try to do it with out any vms but if that is what is needed, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

1. Download Macnewbie Pack 2012
2. Optional: Copy your save to "Macnewbie/User Generated.../Link to Save..."
3. Start the launcher and apply any graphics pack that doesn't have TWBT in it's name
4. Launch the game and enter "stonesense" into the dfhack terminal

Overlay mode does not work on osx, and you have to wait for a dfhack update if you want to try it with 40.0x.

EmielRegis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 22, 2014, 01:20:46 am »

What happens if you only type stonesense? What does the console say?

Ok, so normal stonesense working as it should.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/nr777lld5q6ntpt/1.png
Here you have screen what happens when i trying overlay version( main 2d screen is frozen btw ).
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ag2lc8etayhcc0o/2.png
Maybe this line is important?( it shows on beggining of console every time I launch game)
http://www.mediafire.com/view/hwaudrutvtx7hy2/3.png

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 22, 2014, 01:31:25 am »

@EmielRegis: You're using the TWBT plugin, that is causing your problem, they cannot run at the same time. You need to deactivate it: open /data/init/init.txt look for PRINT_MODE and set it to 2D.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 22, 2014, 01:38:06 am »

@EmielRegis: You're using the TWBT plugin, that is causing your problem, they cannot run at the same time. You need to deactivate it: open /data/init/init.txt look for PRINT_MODE and set it to 2D.
34_11 r66 actually has a custom build of stonesense that does work with TwbT, which was provided by Kevin Cathcart further up the thread. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 22, 2014, 01:40:16 am »

Somebody made a fix for that, actually, but I'm kinda in the middle of things with regards to stonesense, so it hasn't made an official release.

Raziel_Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 22, 2014, 01:55:16 am »

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to the overlay for mac. Its been a while sense I played the game and just random ally decided to catch up on the latest forums and heard about this overlay mode. I was so blown away and excited. Thank you all for your hard work. We all appreciate it.

EmielRegis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 22, 2014, 02:00:08 am »

Thanks, now its working!

34_11 r66 actually has a custom build of stonesense that does work with TwbT, which was provided by Kevin Cathcart further up the thread. 

Well, actually in my case it isn't.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 22, 2014, 02:32:46 am »

Well, actually in my case it isn't.
Oops, most of my brain is in 40.xx mode now.  I'll try to push a last legacy update soonish, and until then: 
https://github.com/KevinCathcart/stonesense/releases/tag/OpenGL
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 85