Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.5%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 210 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 173 (26.9%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 640

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 719313 times)

rathlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #1050 on: July 24, 2014, 02:16:02 pm »

I'm curious about the overlay and it's interaction with OS X; is anyone working on it? Is there any particular reason it's not working? Is it just a lack of someone compiling the code for OS X, or are there further issues? With it working for Linux it shouldn't be particularly hard to have it working for OS X as well.

Any info would be superb, as there's not really any central information regarding the stonesense overlay as far as I can tell. If there's anything I could do to help, I'd be more than willing as this is superbly exciting news.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1051 on: July 24, 2014, 03:43:14 pm »

Okay, considering that it's gonna take a while till a version where I can seperate out the trees per tree, I decided to continue working on Dwarvest Moon, or in other words, the crops.

They have a bit of a style-mistmatch because I was constantly switching the style I used. I will go back later to make them more sensible and connected with the existing sprites, when my style has settled more properly.

In the meantime, there's no growth-print for a change in colour for the grass-grains, even though they do become golden in summer/autumn in real life.
My question: What do you guys prefer: Golden grains to wax about? Or green grains?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: July 24, 2014, 07:15:28 pm »

I'm curious about the overlay and it's interaction with OS X; is anyone working on it? Is there any particular reason it's not working? Is it just a lack of someone compiling the code for OS X, or are there further issues? With it working for Linux it shouldn't be particularly hard to have it working for OS X as well.

Any info would be superb, as there's not really any central information regarding the stonesense overlay as far as I can tell. If there's anything I could do to help, I'd be more than willing as this is superbly exciting news.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8719 works somewhat. The main problem is the lack of Stonesense developers able to test on OS X - there are several DFHack developers able to (including me), but none of us are particularly familiar with Stonesense, so it's unclear which bugs are OS X-specific at this point.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

rathlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 26, 2014, 10:54:17 pm »

Thanks for the info! There really shouldn't be much extra working taking the older version up to version 40 should there (changing RAWs mostly?)?

If testing help is what's needed, I've got several Macs and I'd be more than willing to help test. Problem is I work two full time jobs and can't always remember to drop by for this kind of stuff. Do any of the Stonesense devs that would need help testing use Skype regularly? I have to be on most hours of the day for one of my jobs anyways, so it's really easy to reach me there if testing is needed. I do tech support, so I'm familiar with SVN and bugtrackers like Mantis or Jira if I can be of any assistance.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 26, 2014, 11:05:29 pm »

The only bugtracker we use right now is the stonesense issues list on github.

And it's not so much testing we need, as an actual mac dev.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1055 on: July 27, 2014, 12:11:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Finished all of the sprites for the plants in crops.txt.

While I can't get them to draw for shrubs, because shrub recognition is still broken in that version of stonesense, I did manage to get the to work on the farm-plot. I'll post the zip for it in a few hours.

They are not perfect, but I'm going to let this sink for a bit, and return to the trees.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 27, 2014, 11:29:25 pm »

I got shubs back into the game, so those at least are working.

Unfortunately, getting the trees working is a non-trivial affair, so those will take longer.

Raziel_Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 28, 2014, 01:20:37 am »

I am not extremely familiar with CMake, therefor if you guys can give a description on what to do to compile this code with it, I will attempt to check it out.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 28, 2014, 02:03:47 am »

It's compiled as a part of DFHack, the compile instructions of which are here:

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/blob/master/Compile.rst

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1059 on: July 28, 2014, 02:09:28 am »

I got shubs back into the game, so those at least are working.

Unfortunately, getting the trees working is a non-trivial affair, so those will take longer.

No problem, like I said before I have plenty to do still, and parsing the raws sounds like an absolute pain.

Btw, were you going to use new material values for next release? So I know how to adjust the xmls for that...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 28, 2014, 02:21:28 am »

Yeah, I'm planning on using those. Just have to get that done.

I think I'll take a break from trying to finagle the trees and get the materials thing done

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 28, 2014, 07:19:51 pm »

For anybody trying to make stonesence available with OS X or maybe the Macnewbie application, you are doing gods work and my cat Boris love all of you.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 28, 2014, 07:42:21 pm »

Not quite - Danaris managed to get it compiling (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8719), although it has a number of bugs/crashes - the main problem is that none of us are familiar enough with Stonesense to fix them (or figure out if they're Stonesense- or Allegro-related).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 31, 2014, 03:10:41 am »

I just wanted to report that I have seen the "'Plugin stonesense has no enabled var'" once as well. It happened when dfhack r4 booted (with the stonesense version for r4 you did send me), and it instantly crashed. It happened right at the main menu. I did not use stonesense, dfhack, or anything, just started DF. It appeared randomly. I started DF hundrets of times before, and several times after with the same configuration, but I only saw it once.

Crashing every time for me. Here is a screen:

http://i.imgur.com/iX2EbYc.png

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 31, 2014, 03:50:40 am »

I would like to suggest that Stonesense turns the grass sprites off by default, and switches back to the old-style grass which was only a flat green colored texture. No offense meant to the creator (therahedwig?) but with all the other things, plants, trees and other stuff on screen, the grass makes it too busy and very difficult to read. In other words, you can't see important things because of the busy grass.

I know I can turn this off by myself (I do) but many users don't tweak the options and use whatever is default - which in this case is the worse option, I believe. So I'm merely suggesting improving the default experience.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 85