Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.5%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 210 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 173 (26.9%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 640

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 718205 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #1095 on: August 18, 2014, 10:59:52 am »

A big thanks to everyone who makes Stonesense a reality.

After banging my head against the raws and DFHack, I now have a small mod functional enough to worry about what it looks like.  I was able to visually differentiate two dozen castes with a ridiculously small amount of XML:

Code: (tesb_awakened_stone.xml) [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<creatures file="tesb_awakened_stone.png">
 <creature gameID="AWAKENED_STONE" sheetIndex = 0  color="bodypart" bodypart="skin">
     <subsprite sheetIndex="1" color="bodypart" bodypart="eyes" pattern_index="2"/>
 </creature>
</creatures>

which just goads me into making some animations and stances that depend on neighboring tiles.

On the other hand, I can't make heads or tails out of the building XML.  Is there a relatively simple readme somewhere about Stonesense buildings?  The workshops are all 3x3 and symmetric, so I wouldn't need any of the fancy rotation logic that seems to be embedded in there.

Edit: This is probably a DFHack issue rather than a Stonesense issue, but polling the "eyes" color isn't working for my creature or the included creatures.  For now I'll just specify each caste's eye color explicitly.  Still stymied on buildings, though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:24:21 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 19, 2014, 01:07:50 am »

The building raws are, quite frankly, rather obtuse, and I don't fully undersrand them myself fully.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: August 19, 2014, 08:58:15 am »

The building raws are, quite frankly, rather obtuse, and I don't fully undersrand them myself fully.
Well I do have some guano, eye of newt and quicksilver... so I'm ready for any black magic necessary.

Is there an example of an included 3x3 workshop that uses 9 different tiles?  I should be able to clone that at the worst.  The Still has 9 different tiles in the main interface, though that doesn't necessarily translate to the Stonesense equivalent.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 19, 2014, 09:05:04 am »

I think the soapmaker's workshop might be the one to copy, since it's also a custom workshop.

In other news, this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 19, 2014, 09:37:14 am »

I think the soapmaker's workshop might be the one to copy, since it's also a custom workshop.

In other news, this:
Thanks, and the other news is gorgeous.
Just got back, updating:

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: August 19, 2014, 12:00:07 pm »

It's amazing, even if it was confused for a bit thinking this was Japa's other thread "Looks odd for minecraft...uh wait. WOW the trees!"
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Ferigad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 23, 2014, 06:08:09 pm »

Hello! ^^

Well i played Dwarf Fortress for some years now. But i always used lazy newb pack with some of the graphic packs. Recently i saw that stonesense can be used as a real interface. Well...

So here is what i did. I downloaded the version that is compatible with DFhack 0.40.08-r2 . That was DF 0.40.08 SDL version. Then i downloaded the DFHack. I checked the readme, started it, made a new world and used the command "Stonesense overlay". But no matter what i do... it always ends with a Windows Error that Dwarf Fortress.exe had to be closed because of an error. No Bug report is generated. I use a Windows 8 64-Bit system and i would guess thats the closest explanation why that crash occurs.  It would be cool if somebody would have a idear what to do. So far i tryed a Win-7 compatibility on dwarf fortress.exe and i tryed to deactivate all plugins from DFhack before launch the stonesense overlay so far without any sucess.

As a sitenote, if i only activate stonesense without the overlay command, it works. But i would prefer it with overlay :/

Oh well! My bad, there is a log that was created at crash. But it shows me no information that i could use to fix my issue.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:14:38 pm by Ferigad »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 23, 2014, 07:33:03 pm »

Hello! ^^

Well i played Dwarf Fortress for some years now. But i always used lazy newb pack with some of the graphic packs. Recently i saw that stonesense can be used as a real interface. Well...

So here is what i did. I downloaded the version that is compatible with DFhack 0.40.08-r2 . That was DF 0.40.08 SDL version. Then i downloaded the DFHack. I checked the readme, started it, made a new world and used the command "Stonesense overlay". But no matter what i do... it always ends with a Windows Error that Dwarf Fortress.exe had to be closed because of an error. No Bug report is generated. I use a Windows 8 64-Bit system and i would guess thats the closest explanation why that crash occurs.  It would be cool if somebody would have a idear what to do. So far i tryed a Win-7 compatibility on dwarf fortress.exe and i tryed to deactivate all plugins from DFhack before launch the stonesense overlay so far without any sucess.

As a sitenote, if i only activate stonesense without the overlay command, it works. But i would prefer it with overlay :/

Oh well! My bad, there is a log that was created at crash. But it shows me no information that i could use to fix my issue.

AFAIK, there's no official stonesense for 40.xx yet - you can still get the 34.11 Starter Pack with the overlay though.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Ferigad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 23, 2014, 07:46:33 pm »

Okay, but why is it included in DFHack 40.08-r2 ? From what i saw so far it seems to work at least for some persons, i tryed some searches before. Not completly stable, but it seems to be in common use for the DFHack 40.08-r2 in conjunction with the Dwarf Fortress 40.08 SDL version.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 24, 2014, 11:25:08 pm »

Okay, but why is it included in DFHack 40.08-r2 ? From what i saw so far it seems to work at least for some persons, i tryed some searches before. Not completly stable, but it seems to be in common use for the DFHack 40.08-r2 in conjunction with the Dwarf Fortress 40.08 SDL version.

Hmm, that's an odd error.  It sounds like the DFHack "renderer" class isn't up-to-date with the DF-actual-renderer. 

The overlay is still an experimental feature (you can't really play DF with just the overlay yet), and DFHack is still catching up with DF updates, so this is sort of expected right now.  I'll try to get some bugfixes together when things are more stable. 
where is up?

ArcaneBoozery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 25, 2014, 01:58:03 am »

The overlay is still an experimental feature (you can't really play DF with just the overlay yet), ...

Is there a place which describes in detail how the overlay works, and what it does and does not do? By that I mean in one place, not spread out over a hundred page thread. If not, could you maybe summarize it here in a few sentences? I heard recently that people were able to hook Stonesense into the game so that it works like a true graphical interface, but it's been impossible  for me to track down detailed info on that, as most stuff here seems to exist over many pages in various threads.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 25, 2014, 02:47:28 am »

Stonesense was able to render directly onto the DF screen, instead of its own window, but that doesn't work for the new version of DF yet.

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 25, 2014, 03:29:53 am »

Is there a place which describes in detail how the overlay works, and what it does and does not do? By that I mean in one place, not spread out over a hundred page thread. If not, could you maybe summarize it here in a few sentences? I heard recently that people were able to hook Stonesense into the game so that it works like a true graphical interface, but it's been impossible  for me to track down detailed info on that, as most stuff here seems to exist over many pages in various threads.

That kind of documentation is generally reserved for legitimately complete features, rather than "oh hey, cool hack in progress".

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 25, 2014, 06:51:37 am »

In other news, this:

Thanks again for the pointer to custom workshops.  I put a really simple example of a workshop onto the wiki.  There are still a lot of parameters that I don't understand, but the example demonstrates that they aren't strictly necessary to get a basic workshop going.
Just got back, updating:
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 85