Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.5%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 210 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 173 (26.9%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 640

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 715367 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #1125 on: September 17, 2014, 04:05:00 pm »

Out of curiosity, why is stonesense done in the graphics engine that it has?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: September 17, 2014, 05:22:34 pm »

As opposed to...?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: September 17, 2014, 06:27:54 pm »

As opposed to...?

Something shinier? Especially with the old versions.
Reading a thinner book

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: September 17, 2014, 06:39:46 pm »

As opposed to...?

Something shinier? Especially with the old versions.

... like what, a gold foil limited edition?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: September 18, 2014, 07:53:59 am »

Humor me, but, especially considering that the old versions weren't real time, what stopped this from being rendered in say cryengine?
Reading a thinner book

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: September 18, 2014, 09:32:30 am »

Maybe the proprietary license?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: September 18, 2014, 11:44:33 am »

Probably because cryengine is 3d and would be pretty useless for stonesense, which is 2d.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1132 on: September 18, 2014, 12:01:41 pm »

Humor me, but, especially considering that the old versions weren't real time, what stopped this from being rendered in say cryengine?
Cryengine sucks waay too much power for stonesense's purposes.
While certain graphics calculations can be done better with 3d acceleration, Cryengine's capabilities in the 2d world are actually not much better than the library we're using now. After all, what is amazing about Cryengine, is how it optimizes and simplifies many aspects of 3D graphics(in particular, the ever computation heavy topic of proper lighting).

If you're asking why we're not having 3d models: Too much effort, too high of a barrier for competent artists to contribute to stonesense.
Stonesense's simple graphics and high flexibility (and devoted maintainer) is sorta why it's the longest active visualiser, with the best support for all details that dwarf fortress gives us.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: September 18, 2014, 08:05:57 pm »

Humor me, but what is it you think cryengine could possibly provide in terms of benefits?

I mean, to partially enumerate (and somewhat expand on therahedwig's notes on) why it's a bad idea:
a) it's kind of a mediocre engine for its category of product
b) even if it were a good example of a 3d engine for an indie project (it isn't. Among MANY other concerns, dwarf fortress and thus stonesense are crossplatform, and that isn't even the biggest issue), it's still a 3d engine, and stonesense was designed to be 2d
c) even if you were designing a 3d visualizer, your biggest obstacle for shininess of a project like this is not the graphics engine itself, but the quality of art assets (Just take a look at any of the extant 3d visualizers, and if you think they are insufficiently shiny, it's almost certainly not a pure software issue)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: September 19, 2014, 11:58:13 am »

I ask because long term, I'd quite like to have scenes rendered in 3d -say, combat- and I'm trying to understand the technical limitations. I'm not asking to change anything about how the game plays, just how it's displayed to the player (my thread on the topic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139971.0). We have 20 years til 1.0, it's not impossible. Cry-engine was simply a random example. Not worth crucifying the noob octopus, though i don't mean that harshly.
Reading a thinner book

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: September 19, 2014, 12:20:19 pm »

I ask because long term, I'd quite like to have scenes rendered in 3d -say, combat- and I'm trying to understand the technical limitations. I'm not asking to change anything about how the game plays, just how it's displayed to the player (my thread on the topic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139971.0). We have 20 years til 1.0, it's not impossible. Cry-engine was simply a random example. Not worth crucifying the noob octopus, though i don't mean that harshly.

There's so many misconceptions at work here I think I'd need to be drunk to ask the correct probing questions to narrow things down. Or very high.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: September 19, 2014, 12:30:42 pm »

The questions open.
Reading a thinner book

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1137 on: September 19, 2014, 12:40:14 pm »

Novel Scoops, I can understand that you have not much of an oversight of the needs of 3d.

The main argument remains that not many people know how to do 3d models. It's a highly technical art, and even with software like Blender lowering the (money) barrier, it just isn't common enough. There's just far more 2d artists than 3d artists in the world, and thus because stonesense is 2d it has way more contributers than say, overseer.
On top of that, making a proper 3d model costs about ten times longer to make. (I am actually trained in 3d art, so I'm not pulling this out of my ass ;) )

Secondly, dfhack gives us a lot of information, but it doesn't give enough information to determine when a dwarf is performing an action. It can tell that the dwarf is given a job, but it can't determine when the dwarf is actually doing it.
So for example, you will never see your dwarves in the proper pose for slashing that goblin, or even moving smoothly from tile to tile.

Similarly, 3d programming isn't exactly easy either.

There's programs like Overseer you should take a look at, they were abandoned, but attempting to do 3d visualisation.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: September 19, 2014, 03:02:52 pm »

Thanks. Apparently there doing 3d printing in the overseer thread, here's hoping it resurrects. Does animation depend on information toady is unprepared to release then?
Reading a thinner book

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: September 19, 2014, 03:13:35 pm »

Thanks. Apparently there doing 3d printing in the overseer thread, here's hoping it resurrects. Does animation depend on information toady is unprepared to release then?
Animation depends on having a "rigged" or "articulated" MOB (basically a virtual skeleton within the 3D figure) and a set of scripts to animate and pose that skeleton.  The rendering engine will handle details like "forming a fist" working regardless of arm position, or merging two animations together (such as walking and turning the head to the left).

Rigging is the easy part, not to imply that it's trivial.  DF would require a huge number of animation scripts, and it would require a very large number of models.  The selection of rigged models available for download (or even for purchase) doesn't come close to covering what would be needed.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 85