Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.5%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 210 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 173 (26.9%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 640

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 715385 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #1140 on: September 20, 2014, 06:16:34 am »

Do games generally create many of their own scripts and models? I presume a degree of simplification could also be used for combat. Long term, do you think this will be a reasonable goal?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Kryxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: September 20, 2014, 08:46:30 am »

Depends on the game, and the 'engine'.  is a game designer doesn't want to create their own engine they often buy an Software developers Kit of a main engine and modify it to their own needs.    This has a lot of the basic stuff in it.  However you always customize all of the scripts etc in it.  But generally you create your own art assets because you want to own them.  You 'can' get some generic stuff but you would then need to tweak it.  A good 3d model artist will re-use some things but you need to customize/tweak things as the game adapts.   

Xcom EU/EW - is using the unreal engine.  Which is odd for the style of game but that was a decision they made.  Then they customized all of the things they wanted to make it fit. This saved them probably a 1 or 2 of time in making an engine while coming up with concept art etc.

DF is more complex than many games on the market.  The amount of real time decision's being made on so many levels is HUGE.   Toady choose to focus on that over graphics. The community has stepped up to meet their needs for graphics within the feasibility of what they can.

There are many changes being done and DF is technically still in alpha, as Toady plans to make this his life's work.  With changes being done all of the time, any mods needs to be simple enough to keep up with those changes.

Now go back to what Dirst said about the 'number of models needed'. 

Why do you think games have only a few models for things like cars.  Hey look there is really only 10 car/truck models in like X-Com, they are all re-skinned with 10 different colours.  Because the time to make 100+ car models isn't worth the time/effort in a game in which they are technically 'background' props.  Then they had to add in animations for each of them to 'explode' and get parts destroyed.  Do that with 100?  No way, make another 10+ maps to play on.  Yes, that was a much better decision when they released the DLC. 

I was reading about when they wanted to add in the Mech for melee move in EW and and the Lead App Design person said she wanted a custom animation for killing every alien in the game.   The design team said "you get 3" because they knew they didn't have time.  In the end they came up with 1 super cool move on what happens when you use that effect, (and it varies based on height/terrain and what the alien get's hit into).   This is a AAA company, and they still lacked budget/time for it because what do you focus on?       

DF has amazing world generation with a rich history on top of fun mechanics in which each time it's different way to get dwarves killed.

I'm old school.  I played the first early MUDS on the internet back college (when the html part of the internet was being born)  Immersive gameplay is where it is at.   We had huge fun and we had to read combat logs when fighting as stuff spammed by in real time.   Kids these days are spoiled with fancy graphics with repetitive static gameplay.   

Just having the tilesets make it fine.  Stonesense breaks the "hard to learn" building barrier.

RhoOphuichi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: September 21, 2014, 02:28:53 pm »

Guys, I'm having a problem with stonesense and I haven't been able to find any solution by searching the boards.

I'm using the PeridexisErrant's StarterPack. When I try to run Stonesense, the DFHack window says:
Code: [Select]
Stonesense launched
Using allegro version 5.0.9 r1
Loading script at PyLNP_dfhack_onLoad.init
Error loading script
nil

The Stonesense window opens, but just shows a light blue screen. The upper right corner says 'No map loaded'. It does this for any fort, even a brand new one in a pocket world.

Any idea what I can do about this?

Edit: Also, when I've tried to start Stonesense, DF works normally - except when I try to exit the program. Then, it freezes indefinitely. I can play with the (nonfunctional) Stonesense window up; I can save the game and return to the menu; but when I exit the game, it freezes.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:30:27 pm by RhoOphuichi »

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: September 23, 2014, 10:57:31 am »

Thanks to this mod, I can add cool pics to my fortress journal :) Rivertrapped, human village (two years old) http://i.imgur.com/GojAntO.jpg

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: September 23, 2014, 11:20:13 am »

Why doesn't anybody tell me when the release doesn't have any leaves in the trees?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: September 25, 2014, 04:35:41 pm »

EDIT: Wrong topic somehow

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
« Reply #1146 on: September 25, 2014, 06:01:13 pm »

Why doesn't anybody tell me when the release doesn't have any leaves in the trees?
I wanted to, but I'm lazy. :P

So, why does stonesense show roots (or whatever that is) instead of leaves? :D
Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: September 25, 2014, 09:34:39 pm »

Because the release was pulled from the wrong source.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 28, 2014, 12:58:21 am »

Okay, I found the problem, and it's been fixed for the next version.
Thanks again for fixing that.  When does the "next version" get bundled into DFHack, or where can I find the updated plugin?  I'm running DFHack 40.13r1 and it has Felsite 3.1 which has the "all custom buildings are custom-made to look like each other" issue.  Felsite 3.1 works for development (just keep changing the last custom building to see things), but I'd prefer the fixed one.  I also need to know if the failover behavior changed for creatures because I was kinda abusing it.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: September 28, 2014, 02:57:14 am »

I didn't touch creatures.

Harpya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 10, 2014, 03:08:29 pm »

Deleted, posted in the wrong thread, sorry!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:11:20 pm by Harpya »

Tibo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 26, 2014, 01:57:29 pm »

What is the most straightforward way of using the Stonesense overlay? Is there a guide out there? I think DFhack needs stonesense to be added separately for "technical reasons" in the latest update, how does one go about doing that?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 26, 2014, 02:35:56 pm »

The overlay only ever worked in 0.34.11-r5 (and was buggy even then). Stonesense didn't compile with recent versions of DFHack, although that has been fixed, so it should be available in the next release.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 01, 2014, 08:47:58 pm »

How stonesense (or anything for that matter) communicate with dwarf fortress? Please be patient with me, I'm just beginning to learn c++. (I have some knowledge in python as well). I'd like to take a stab at utility modding. Or at least become better acquainted with it.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 01, 2014, 09:36:06 pm »

There's a middleman lib called DFHack that stonesense uses to read the DF memory.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 85