Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.5%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 210 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 173 (26.9%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 640

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 718879 times)

UncleBob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #915 on: April 11, 2014, 12:48:25 pm »

Hello and thanks for the hard work on this.

Suppose I checked out the latest version and built it, would it be possible to run adventure mode with it, or would I not get any of the text?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 11, 2014, 08:47:17 pm »

Likely none of the text.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #917 on: April 12, 2014, 04:37:10 pm »

I have both a question and a suggestion: Can the code behind Stonesense be used to display Df in a second window, just like stonesense already does, but instead of using fancy isometric graphics, it would use a normal tileset?

If yes, then my suggestion would be to call it "Minimap.exe" and use a 1-pixel tileset (this works and is displayed correctly in df, I tried.) Obviously everything is 1 pixel large, but you can see different colors and movement. It would look exactly like any minimap in any modern strategy game. It would be much more precise than the current ingame minimap, which takes up 1/3 of the menu anyway.

If this new minimap can be displayed over the normal Df menu, that would be even better. The lower right area of the build/command menu is empty and has enough space. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 12, 2014, 04:47:12 pm »

I have both a question and a suggestion: Can the code behind Stonesense be used to display Df in a second window, just like stonesense already does, but instead of using fancy isometric graphics, it would use a normal tileset?

If yes, then my suggestion would be to call it "Minimap.exe" and use a 1-pixel tileset (this works and is displayed correctly in df, I tried.) Obviously everything is 1 pixel large, but you can see different colors and movement. It would look exactly like any minimap in any modern strategy game. It would be much more precise than the current ingame minimap, which takes up 1/3 of the menu anyway.

If this new minimap can be displayed over the normal Df menu, that would be even better. The lower right area of the build/command menu is empty and has enough space. :)
+1
I am a Goober.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 12, 2014, 04:49:10 pm »

+1
+1

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 12, 2014, 04:58:44 pm »

It can me used, but it'd be easier and more fruitful to write it from scratch and just copy a few things from Stonesense, because otherwise it would end up bloated with a lot of stuff you don't need.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #921 on: April 12, 2014, 05:14:46 pm »

Thank you. I am no coder, I do not know how much or how little work it would be to write. But it works like a heavily simplified stonesense, so I thought I ask here. Maybe it warrants its own thread? Japa, do you know anyone with the knowledge and possible interest for such a project?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 12, 2014, 05:19:46 pm »

No idea, but I will say this.
Becoming a coder  is incredibly easy.
Here's what I did.
1: read through a free online c++ book, and get bored halfway tthrough when it starts talking about complicated stuff.
2: read tthrough the stonesense code to get a feel for how it more or less seems to work.
3: start making small modifications, and progressively make bigger ones.
4: you are now a coder.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #923 on: April 12, 2014, 05:22:37 pm »

I am quite simply bound by time. I am afraid that if I learn to use dfhack properly, as in write plugins/scripts for it, that I will spend way too much of my time doing insanely large projects. I put enough time into DF as is, modding will have to be enough from my side.

UncleBob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 14, 2014, 02:32:17 am »

Likely none of the text.

Bummer. Suppose I wanted to write the text interface, would I have to mess only with Stonesense itself or will it need new intercepts in DF-hack? Doing a text overlay I could probably do, since all the components for text display are already in stonesense, but disassembling dwarf fortress would be quite a few worlds away from my expierience.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 14, 2014, 04:28:07 am »

I know that dfhack already reads the announcements, which make up a large part of the text in adventure mode, but not all of it. The rest... You'd have to ask somebody like quietust.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 20, 2014, 02:32:20 am »

I've got a slightly unusual problem. Stonesense works fine for me with most forts, but it crashes DF when I try to load the one fort I actually want to load in Stonesense. As far as I can tell, Stonesense isn't giving any error messages. It loads a blue screen with a functioning yellow cube selector (it says "no map loaded" in the upper right corner), but as soon as I unpause DF, the game freezes.

As it happens, the fort I want to load is very old, and the save file is well over 100mb, so I can't upload it to Dffd as is. I do have a version of that save with with the fort abandoned which is under 100mb: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8333. If anyone is willing to take a look at it, the fort to reclaim is Zanoravuz.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 20, 2014, 03:31:39 am »

It's likely that you're running out of memory.
DF is a 32bit program, and larger forts can use up most of the available memory while not leaving any for Stonesense.
Try using a large address aware patch on it, it could help.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 20, 2014, 05:13:04 am »

I thought about that, but I'm fairly certain that's included in the version of DF I'm using (Peridexis's starter pack, r46). At any rate, it's advertised as included. Is there any way to check?

Edit: The task manager lists DF as using about 1.2 GB of RAM before starting Stonesense, and 2.0 GB (as in 2000 MB, not 2048 MB) after, FWIW.

mathzip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 20, 2014, 06:49:32 am »

could you make inversed ramps so it would be possible to round corners under an arc or a dome and not only the top of it ?
Things would look more natural
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 85