Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 722927 times)

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2012, 05:46:51 pm »

On the subject of sprites that look good at a variety of scales, the key is using structure on a range of scales.  You'll notice that the large dwarves have black outlines of a variety of thicknesses.  That's to deal with the fact that the thinner lines disappear at low resolutions, but the thick ones don't, and if you game this correctly you can get the sprites to show up nicely at different scales. 

There's some neat stuff out of MIT to look at dealing with the same issue (though in a more sophisticated way).  Basically if you have large regions of light and dark, with finer detail as well, then you'll get two sets of visible structures. 

I'm excited to see high-res terrain being made :D
where is up?

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2012, 08:04:36 pm »

There are a lot of weapons in this game.  Still have a few left to go before I start working on making the metal stuff look... metallic.
Spoiler: gigantic screenshots (click to show/hide)
It feels pretty good to be able to see stuff on the ground, walk over, pick it up and see my character hold it.  Honestly I've wanted this since the first time I saw stonesense and it feels good to be a part of making it happen :)

Ew... I just noticed socks with sandals...
where is up?

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2012, 08:13:41 pm »

how do i run dfhack to work this
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2012, 08:14:11 pm »

Those screenshots... so epic
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2012, 09:22:58 pm »

Relevant to those fantastic new sprites, I've never been terribly happy with how SS recolors sprites and tiles. I don't know enough about the graphics libraries Stonesense uses to say how/if this could be achieved, but I've always hoped we could swap between different indexed color palettes when recoloring tiles, instead of recoloring grayscale sprites. With the current method, recolored sprites end up with a flattened and muted appearance, and the shadows don't pop as much.

I might not be explaining this well (long day), so here are pictures that illustrate what I'm trying to say:

Basically, instead of just picking an RGB color value to colorize the sprites, sprites would be done using 8-16 indexed color values. When we wanted to change the color of the sprite, we would change some or all of the indexed color values. The advantage of this would be allowing more complex and natural colors and shading, as well as allowing multiple colors per sprite/tile (see the barrel above, which uses silver for the band, brown for the wood planks, and a dark blue-green for the shading).

If all else fails, I'd at least like to tweak the RGB values Stonesense recolors sprites with. It's a bit flat and saturation-tastic right now.

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2012, 10:47:37 pm »

I believe this could be achieved with clever utilization of sub-sprites... 

"Ahright, lissen up; you malodorous, malformed, putrescent, 'mok-forsaken lil' mini-orcs! I'm here to drink some tea and kick some asses. Either way, sumptin' gonna get tea-bagged tonight!"

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2012, 01:14:51 am »

I did a little bit of research and what little I found seems to indicate that Allegro 5 (the graphics library stonesense uses) doesn't support individual-bitmap palette swaps (though it does seem to be able to do some global palette things? I'm not 100% on this).  If that's true then palette swapping essentially comes down to writing a shader for each color definition, which would be sort of a headache.  There are some nice effects you can get with palette swapping, but it ties you down to using specific file formatting types.  If it turns out I'm wrong and it is easy to do then that's cool, but it doesn't seem like it. 

I would agree that the dyed clothes tend to be a bit on the bright side, though.  I poked around a bit and managed to get some dye blending happening:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the same emerald and red dye from before, but the color of the material and of the dye is being multiplied together here, as opposed to just using the straight dye color. 

edit:
how do i run dfhack to work this
head over to the dfhack thread, follow the instructions to install, then run DF like normal, type "stonesense" into the command window that will appear
if you just mean these sprites in particular, they are still in progress, so stay tuned, and they will by available soon :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:22:05 am by Caldfir »
where is up?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2012, 03:49:51 am »

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2012, 04:35:50 am »

HNNNNNNNNNG!
I now need a change of pants. Shame on you. It looks amazing.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2012, 09:31:03 am »

Lol.

SWEET.

Kire93

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2012, 11:35:13 am »

wow that looks epic

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2012, 11:56:51 am »

I approve. A lot.

A quick check of zooming out making use of ctrl+mousewheel in my browser suggests those tiles respond well to it. Is this the case in actual stonesense?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2012, 01:24:32 pm »

Hey guys, I just finally got back around to doing these icons.  I got stalled trying to figure out ways to express some of the farmer things, and got sidetracked an awful lot.

I'm leaving a blank background thing because I think we can try making a "plain" sheet background for regular jobs, and then have a special sheet for legendaries, like making the background token look like the masterwork ☼ symbol.

I'll add in the military stuff in a bit.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nunzillor

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2012, 02:08:53 pm »

FYI: I reinstalled Ubuntu on the USB drive.  I installed drivers directly from my graphic card manufacturer's website (not from synaptic).  I then tried three methods:

1) downloading DFHack pre-compiled
2) compiling DFHack (and stonesense)
3) compiling DFHack and replacing stonesense with a pre-compiled version from the DFHack download

Method three is working for me, with only a few error messages in the console that don't seem to be affecting anything.  Something to keep in mind for those of you (if any) having the same problem.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:35:34 pm by Nunzillor »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2012, 04:19:34 pm »

With military stuff

There's also tokens for war creatures and thieves and children, you want me to do those, too?

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 85