Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.5%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 210 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 173 (26.9%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 640

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 719508 times)

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #900 on: March 07, 2014, 02:23:34 am »

Thanks, that sounds good.

I might be displaying terrible google-fu here, but is there a feature planned that will let you cut away stuff in the way? Words are failing me here, but my example is that I have a multilevel royal complex built around a waterfall falling into a deep canyon. I can't angle it right to look at it without the cliff sides getting in the way. If I could set blocks until a certain distance away to be transparent, I think I could get a much better look.

I feel like this is a dumb question and also there is probably a simple word for what I mean but gah

I'm still trying to work out how to identify the weird loopy "ceiling tiles" that sometimes show up.  I spent a weekend trying to work it out a while ago but everything I did either made the problem worse or ended up hiding things you wouldn't want hidden.  There is some potential to maybe jury-rig the tile occlusion code to make sure you don't draw any walls in front of floors, but I'm not 100% certain how well that would work out. 

I believe, however, that the next version (or is it already in? I can never keep track) should have a workaround for this particular situation.  You should be able to increase/decrease the x/y/z size of the loaded segment with ctrl+arrows/mousewheel which would let you specify a long-thin-tall area to display (which would be good for showing a narrow canyon).  Getting the x/y size of the segment away from always-square was quite tricky, but being able to do stuff like this is nice. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:26:03 am by Caldfir »
where is up?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 07, 2014, 08:38:15 am »

Makes me wonder if there are other ways the display could be sliced. I'm finding it hard to put into words so here's a picture.

Basically you'd be able to move the red line towards and away from the leading corner and anything between it and the camera would not be drawn.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 07, 2014, 11:13:45 pm »

That's actually pretty doable, I think.

I'll try it out when I have the time.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 13, 2014, 01:11:49 am »

After a couple situations where I did a bunch of work, then realized what I was doing wouldn't cover some of the cases that were needed, I've got a solution to the "how to display designations/constructions" thing that should be effective.  I've treated construction and designation as "materials" so all the configurable xml stuff that already exists can be applied easily to them.  Designations and constructions will alter the tiletype reported on the tile.  The display of constructions/designations is toggleable (default keybinding is 'd' right now).  I believe I've got everything including designated tracks working already, so that's the major one finished.  It shouldn't be too difficult to get the same handling for constructions. 

I still need to sort out how the building/construction/room placement cursor stuff works, but hopefully that won't be too bad.

Has it been bad?  Please say no and announce it's about to be released.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 14, 2014, 02:06:13 am »

I've been away for a while, and I don't remember if I've asked this before, but is there a way to have doors count as walls for border_wall_OR or border_wall_NOR?

EDIT:
I should probably share this too, as it's related.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8473
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:13:59 am by Dark_Tundra »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 14, 2014, 03:33:25 am »

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 18, 2014, 11:08:02 pm »

@Dark_Tundra
I think that would be possible.  I haven't rummaged around too deeply in the sprite-directionality code, but as I recall it happens after buildings are loaded.  Bars and windows and the like would also probably make sense in the same context.  I'll take a look next time I'm down in those parts to see how much sense it makes.

Regarding the status of overlay-related things, progress is being made, though the time I have to put towards it is limited.  I have constructions now using a similar system to the one for designations.  Constructed tracks are handled by DF in a super strange way, but I'm pretty sure I got it all converted (reeeeeeeally long switch statement).  What that means is that all constructions and designations will be handled in the same way as regular tiles, so if somebody wants to draw different sprites for them or make them a different color or whatever they can (the main motivation for doing this was to not have to duplicate the track-drawing code). 

Next up is room-display (so you can see what's going on when you designate your dining hall or whatever), and then I need to figure out how multi-tile cursor stuff (like when you are plopping down constructions or buildings) happens.  I'm a little concerned about the cursor because I honestly have no idea how it is being handled, but hopefully it isn't buried too too deep.  There's more that needs doing after that, but those are the big show-stoppers that make the overlay unplayable in it's current state. 

Keeping at it.  Slowly.
where is up?

MoonSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 24, 2014, 01:08:24 am »

if this becomes a thing i will never play 2d df again

edit: also my dwarves look like this, anyone know whats wrong?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:03:39 am by MoonSheep »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 25, 2014, 09:18:39 pm »

Press whatever key it is to view a creature's stats (I think it's V or C, not sure) and move the stonesense cursor onto one of your dwarves. It should give some useful debug output, hopefully.

MoonSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 26, 2014, 09:56:24 pm »

I just got it working, I had to fiddle with the index.txt in the creatures folder

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #910 on: April 03, 2014, 06:24:00 am »

PTW, amazing work!
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #911 on: April 08, 2014, 04:53:24 pm »

Any news on the SSense to DF intergration is going? or is the cursor still being elusive?

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 10, 2014, 10:32:08 am »

cursor being elusive?
dude,all you have to do is detect what menu is open,and through that trigger the corresponding key by clicking a button or something.
it seriously needs a GUI,so that you could play straight through stonesense.

well,shit,i didnt read the thread.
GO TEAM CALDFIR OMGHUEHUE
Has anyone tried to integrate soundsense to stonesense?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:34:09 pm by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 11, 2014, 01:06:02 am »

Has anyone tried to integrate soundsense to stonesense?

...has anyone tried to integrate scratch-n'-sniff and youtube?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 11, 2014, 02:01:45 am »

Any news on the SSense to DF intergration is going? or is the cursor still being elusive?

I would also love to know how room-display and the multi-tile cursor constructions are going!

And for anyone else who has no idea what this is about, here's the story so far: 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 85