Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.5%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 210 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 173 (26.9%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 640

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 715386 times)

perkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #1200 on: April 11, 2016, 05:06:08 pm »

hey where are screenshots made with F5 or ctrl f5 ???

Readme doesn't say anything about location i searched in DF folder and my documents and desktop and found nothing.

Any help ?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 11, 2016, 06:49:31 pm »

Screenshots are saved to your DF folder, called "screenshot1.png" (2, 3, 4...).

Make sure you read the feedback in the DFHack prompt, as sometimes you'll need to zoom out and try again.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: May 18, 2016, 08:12:35 pm »

Does anyone else have the problem of a crash when the caravan wagons enter or come near the stonesense current view?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: June 08, 2016, 08:34:11 am »

Is there any chance of the sounds configuration screen inside the utility getting an overhaul? It's kind of difficult to catch an annoying sound and disable it while playing.

I've noticed the source is distributed with the utility, but has anyone developed their own branch?

Whoops, wrong thread.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 03:28:48 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: June 10, 2016, 09:51:48 pm »

So, not sure what kind of interest this will pull in, seems a little slow around here... but, here I go anyways.

Some of you might remember a number of years back I started a project to update much of the stonesense graphics to higher resolution.  Then, well, rl stuff.  But I recently started playing the newer versions of dwarf fortress again, and what can I say, I'm a visual guy.  So the last few weeks, I started by updating what I already had to work with changes in stonesense since then.  That was it's own learning process (still ongoing).  Then I relearned blender basically from scratch (also, still ongoing).  And for the last week I've been spitting out new art assets each afternoon for whatever time I've had to work on it, focusing first on finishing out workshops and filling in all the smaller items and clutter, furniture, and added in stone constructed walls.

But, pictures are better than words, so why am I still talking.  Here goes.

Obviously still lots of work to do, but, it's been a nice start.  I'll focus on showing all of the workshops next time as I've only got a few more sprites to make to finish them out.

p.s. please excuse all the vomit.  if you were a dwarf you'd think there was a lot of bloody sunlight out there too. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:18:26 pm by chrisadams3997 »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: June 10, 2016, 10:16:44 pm »

The new workshops look really nice!  I had to include an updated farm plot with my mod's Stonesense content because my high-res plant was invisible against low-res dirt.  But all of my Stonesense art is quite ugly and in no way intended as a submission for generic assets :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When you do get around to releasing a pack for vanilla assets, I'll remove my override for farms and suggest folks get your pack.  One quick suggestion would be a border for any farm edge that doesn't touch another farm, like the border-stones you showed in your workshops.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: June 11, 2016, 07:48:30 pm »

Dirst:  I'll be getting there at some point.  General vegetation is the one thing I may not update, but farm plots are definitely in at some point.

So, a little status update, showing some new things from today, and some of the work already done.

I probably shouldn't lead with this picture because it's by far not the best I have, but, it's a couple of items that right now have no actual graphics for them and instead show just a pixelated block, so even simple filler sprites are a win.  Also got Japa's tracks fixed to work with my textures, and fixed the xml's so they show up on floors (ramps are still pending).  There is also an issue of differentiating between constructed tracks (which should use their material color) and carved tracks (which should use the stone layer color) due to the way things are presently coded, as well as smooth vs. rough floors w/ tracks.  can't do a thing about either without updating the source code by the looks of it.

Just put together the gem chest and stand for the jeweler's workshop today, while around it you can see some of the small craft items I added during the last week, earrings, bracelets, toys, and such

Cages.  Lots of cages.  Eventually I'll need to make separate models for wood, metal, glass, etc. with material coloring.  One thing at a time...  Bridges are one of my next action items.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:56:09 pm by chrisadams3997 »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: June 12, 2016, 12:17:37 am »

This is all really nice.

Are you Amy good at texturing, by any chance?

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: June 12, 2016, 06:54:36 am »

Depends on what you mean by good, lol.  I've been around 3D graphics work on and off (more off than on) for a long time, but the vast bulk of what I've done is modeling for isometric stuff like this, spent a lot of time just after college doing stuff for sim city 4.  For that kind of work you only need to get as detailed as will actually show up at the zoom level it's being rendered at, details too small just get lost. Then again, I made some pretty crazy procedural dirt maps for roofs back in the day... they were nuts, like five or six layers of ramp maps and alpha transparencies and grime.. sorry, got a little reminiscent there. But, for the most part, I keep it simple

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: June 12, 2016, 07:34:03 am »

I was just asking because of Armok Vision

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: June 12, 2016, 01:01:36 pm »

Maybe at some point, but this project is big enough for me for right now.  I also happen to be a programmer, and at some point I want to get dfhack compiling on my system (it's not right now) and fix and improve a few things as well (such as that crash bug on caravan wagons).  I wouldn't dream of signing onto another project until I get where I'm going with this one.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: June 12, 2016, 05:06:57 pm »

On that note, I've been looking through the code, getting a feel for it this afternoon, looking into a few of the issues I've run into.  While trying to make it so that every 'trap' (which includes levers and track stops) doesn't look like a lever, I discovered it isn't reading the sub_type for traps.  I found what should be the culprit.  In a section of code where it is reading building xml's, there is a (sorry, coding jargon ahead) case switch that looks like this:

Code: [Select]
    switch (main_type) {
    case building_type::Furnace: {
        if(!strGameSub) {
            contentWarning("<building> Is generic - game_subtype missing.",elemRoot);
            break;
        }
        FOR_ENUM_ITEMS(furnace_type,i) {
            if (sub == ENUM_KEY_STR(furnace_type,i)) {
                subtype = i;
                break;
            }
        }

continuing on for all building types with subtypes except trap_types, even though they load it's subtype enums with all the rest right above it:

Code: [Select]
#include "df/siegeengine_type.h"
#include "df/workshop_type.h"
#include "df/trap_type.h"
#include "df/shop_type.h"
#include "df/construction_type.h"
#include "df/furnace_type.h"

Adding a case for trap types will fix that issue.

And speaking of levers...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: June 13, 2016, 11:53:31 am »

So, not sure what kind of interest this will pull in, seems a little slow around here... but, here I go anyways.
FWIW, I'm *far* more interested in isometric representations of DF than the true 3D of Armok Vision, so I'm greatly interested in your work!

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: June 13, 2016, 08:07:32 pm »

ndkid: sure appreciate the encouragement!

So, this one has been a doozy, I spent a lot of time setting up lights and specular maps, getting everything lined up for both walls and floors to seamlessly work together, and I REALLY wanted to capture the metallic look of the original metal walls/floors, but without overdoing it.  Here's what I've got now.  I may go back and edit the base texture under that specular (that's the shiny parts) to be more pronounced, but other than that, it came out great I think.

Needed to do this before I could hit any glass stuff because the same techniques will apply to them as well.

[EDIT]

With the hard part done, I quickly made some clear glass walls and floors as well:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:51:28 pm by chrisadams3997 »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: June 13, 2016, 11:29:08 pm »

These are all looking really beautiful. Keep up the good work.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 85