Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How about a peaceful co-existence in the community?  (Read 8192 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
How about a peaceful co-existence in the community?
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:43:43 am »

Hello everybody!

I have noticed that there are currently a few heated debates going on, based on a similar scheme of mutual denouncing and attacking. Whether it is ASCII compared to graphics, danger room users and evaders, or other similar choices players make for their own playing experience, discussions that may have some useful aspect (e.g. which advantages has ASCII, which advantages have graphics, are danger rooms realistic) regularly seem to turn into brawls. I admit that I have also engaged with fervor in such discussions and I probably also allowed myself to get pulled into the emotional side of things and may have said things that have not been necessary. All I can say is, that I wish to apologize if I insulted someone and that I regret having let go of myself.

Personally, I think that this is a great community for a great game. Seeing how people scramble to welcome new players and help them get used to the game really makes me glad. Dwarf Fortress itself is also a very tolerant game in that it allows us to play it in so many different ways, both in the meta-game aspects (mouse-usage, graphics, etc.) as well as in the in-game aspects (mass murderer or hero, cat fortress or cat leather fortress, constant warfare or peaceful trade, etc.). Therefore, I am saddened by all the hate exchanged between members of the community.

Can't we just all accept that others see the game differently? Can't we just say, "I have my way of enjoying the game, and others have their own ways of enjoying the game, which may be different from mine."? I want to appeal to all members of the community to think about this, and maybe, just maybe, try to encourage such an atmosphere of tolerance.

Thank you for your attention,
Deathworks

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: How about a peaceful co-existence in the community?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:55:59 am »

Anyone who doesn't know this already is an idiot and should be purged from the community.

Kidding! Don't kill me! :D

Internet group hugs all around.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

chronojiuj

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue Heaven milkshake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:40:28 am »

Ego, arsekissing and lack of self control tends to run rampant in online communities.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:43:42 am by chronojiuj »
Dwarf fortress makes you lose weight if you dig too deep and literally shake with anger when someone pulls the lever

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 03:07:19 am »

Yeah man, live and let live.
Or post and let post.
That isn't to say I think negative remarks have no place on a forum, they are opinions like any other, but you got to be able to agree to disagree sometimes right.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 03:10:00 am »

The "ASCII versus graphics" and "danger rooms are overpowered OMG" are perennial offenders. I personally view them as a way for everyone to air out their laundry.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:41:48 am »

The problem with some debates is that instead of correct arguments, people start to throw insults and personal attacks and ad hominem at each other and it becomes a flame war. And you can't follow it, it becomes boring and unconstructive.

I am all for the culling of flame wars. However, nearly every person has an opinion on what DF should be and they are mostly different from each other, so conflict is pretty much inevitable unless someone decides to moderate this forum with an iron hand.

But there are many forms of conflict, and some will view some as negative and some as positive.

Tolerance ? I cannot tolerate what I do not understand, and if I cannot understand a different opinion I may wage war against it.

Without debate this forum will quickly become less interesting. Note that "debate" is a reasonable discussion between two individuals who disagree on some points.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 06:00:57 am »

I posit that hoping people will change their manners, feelings and behaviour because of reading one thread on some internet forum is adorably naive.
<3

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 06:08:17 am »

I love how this is currently right next to "am I the only one who likes ASCII?"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 07:17:50 am »

Everybody will always have different opinions and views. Once we understand this we can begin the process of love and tolerance.
Internet group hugs all around.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 07:58:38 am »

As far as forum biomes go, DF forums is definitely Serene.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 08:04:23 am »

The dwarf mode vs adventure mode was an annoying thread caused by somebody that was just ignorant. 'oh lol, this is boring 5 seconds after start so its boring all the way' we: 'but what if you play a bit more? then it'll become fun!' needicla: 'thats not possible, sorry, i dont listen to your arguments'.
Then everybody got annoyed and the flamewar started.
Its usually caused by one person thats being a dick, really.
Imo, you can do in games whatever you want, as long as you dont influence other players with it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 08:12:26 am »

sorry, i dont listen to your arguments

Haha that's hilarious!
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 08:28:24 am »

Its usually caused by one person thats being a dick, really.

But if a single person is being a dick, people should just ignore him.

Really, people should just be more relaxed, and not get so defensive/offensive and blow everything out of proportion. Not every disagreement needs to be turned into an argument, and not every impolite post needs to be countered aggressively.

This is a good community. I see more posts complaining about fanboyism and elitism than actual fanboy or elitist's posts, and more posts complaining about whiners than posts that actually are whiny. Just relax.

This thread is a positive example. The OP makes a post apparently expecting (or intending to start? Hard to say) an argument, but then we simply get seven pages of people stating and discussing their preferences. Simple and effective at averting any harm.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 09:13:10 am »

Considering the minimal amount of moderation that is readily visible, I'd say this place is doing fantastically in terms of general behaviour.
<3

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 09:14:03 am »

Also, thread title seems like these forums are in a state of civil war. That isn't the case.
Pages: [1] 2 3