Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How about a peaceful co-existence in the community?  (Read 8159 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: How about a peaceful co-existence in the community?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 09:28:22 am »

Yeah, this is actually one of the calmest large-scale game-related internet communities I've seen in my life.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 09:37:09 am »

You guys ever been to RPGCodex?

heheheheheheheh

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:39:35 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 09:59:46 am »

Also, thread title seems like these forums are in a state of civil war. That isn't the case.

I won't lie, when I saw the title I thought it was going to be a suggestion that we stop murdering the elves with fire/water/obsidian...
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 10:41:32 am »

Hello!

Thank you all for your comments. Allow me to answer at least to a few:

kaijyuu: At least I wouldn't kill you over having humor. However, I have to admit that your avatar images are frustrating me - on the one hand, one is cuter than the other, making me want to see the diversity, on the other hand, not being able to see the same image again at will is kind of irritating :) :)

Naryar: I think you described best what I was thinking about, especially when seeing things like the danger room thread: Diversity and differing opinions and discussing these are all good things in my eyes. But when things become name-calling and emotional, nothing good comes from it. For instance, in the danger room thread, a very interesting philosophical question was raised: "Is it cheating?" or rather "Can you cheat in a single player game without a score system?". Delving into the philosophical depths of that question would have been fascinating (albeit probably requiring its own thread anyway), but the word "cheating" is far too negatively loaded in that discussion to really leave room for such academic ventures.

I do not wish to remove the debating culture or controversies. For instance, I actually kind of enjoy seeing discussions about the merits of using the graphics, since it may tell me things I have no personal experience with as my contact with the graphics sets was relatively short. So, I never saw the detailed implications of the different limitations or possibilities of the graphics (like greater number of different tiles). And some of these discussions yield interesting and unexpected insights - the graphics debate for instance showing different styles of play as some people want to pause only if really, really necessary, while others preferring to press pause, drink a cup of tea, and then decide what to do (okay, I am exaggerating here :) :) :) ). So, there are a lot of positive surprises especially the (non-hostile) confrontation with the other can yield.

I differ with you as far as tolerating is concerned - in so far as I tolerate that which I can not understand, for understanding for me means already accepting as plausible/thinkable. Or let's put it differently, since that explanation feels a bit off. In adventure mode, there seem to be some players who enjoy murdering all civilians they can find. For me, this approach to the game is utterly and completely alien to the point that I really can't understand it and also feel uninclined to try to understand it. It just goes extremely against my grain. Thus, I can't understand it, but I do tolerate it, converse normally with people following that doctrine and also partake in their tales of sometimes bizarre adventures.

Personally, I tend to go to war only if I see someone attacked or threatened. Because going to war always means harming people, and harming people can only be justified in my eyes if it is the only way to protect people from harm (like policemen using force to stop a crazed gunner).

xdarkcodex: It is not that hilarious once you know that we indeed at one time had the impression that this was being conveyed. And unfortunately, that thread did degenerate and had to be locked.

dreiche2: I agree that this is a good community with a lot of positive vibrations. This is one of the reasons why I felt hopeful enough to make this thread. Turning a community upside down is nearly impossible. But raising awareness and hopefully encouraging people to speak up for their values can actually work and have at least a little bit of impact. I have had very positive experiences with the issue of respect for artists on another forum - of course there are those who would never accept the idea of being grateful for free art, but I found that the majority of people speaking up actually were open to seeing this, and bringing the topic into discussion also helped people openly say "You know, posting this without permission is not a good thing". Of course, not all things were changed, but a basically good community became better (at least in my eyes).

The same is my sentiment here: We have a great community here, with lots of helpful and interested people. There is a lot of humor and goodwill here. But sometimes, there are those dark clouds raising their head. And I am worried that they might poison our green meadows. Therefore, I try to raise awareness in myself and in others, that we may protect the good atmosphere of this community - mainly by trying to live by the ideals we propagate.

As for the thread title, I guess I was a little bit influenced by getting close to two aggressive threads in close temporal proximity (^_^;; But at least I think the title will get people interested.

Mike Mayday: Well, I can't judge whether I am naive or not. But I personally believe that the decent people on the internet actually outnumber the aggressive and abuse people by far. It is only a problem of the aggressive people being louder, more active, and maybe the decent people feeling insecure about their own values within the internet communities. I mean, everyone talks about the internet as "lawless" or as a place of constant strife, so even decent people may come to believe that lawlessness and aggression are part of the rules of the internet.

The way I see it, each community creates its own rules (within the rules we agreed to when signing up, of course), and each member can help shape the community. This is why I think it is important to encourage people to be positive.

BTW, thank you for the response in the other thread. I guess it is then just something personal between my computer and me...

To All: Thank you again for taking time participating in this thread. Feel free to continue commenting, of course. I apologize for this relatively long post, but I simply had so much to say and so little skill in compressing my message. I am afraid that some formulations are probably a bit confused, but I hope that the basic message is clear enough that you can figure out what I meant to say.

Anyhow, you are just great and I am really thankful to know this community!

Yours,
Deathworks

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 11:45:54 am »

I posit that hoping people will change their manners, feelings and behaviour because of reading one thread on some internet forum is adorably naive.

P. much.

You guys ever been to RPGCodex?

Friendly advice. If you're even slightly thin skinned don't go there.

And if you do, then you will discover general discussion. And then you will die. ~el Fin
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:59:32 am by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 12:58:24 pm »

Posting to show support for OP, tolerance and the constructive mentality of bay12.
Hmm, I can't help thinking that the mentality is linked to DF. I.e. formus for FPS-games may carry a (different kind of) aggression compared to bay12, where we (no matter the play mode) have to work hard to make things work in DF. :-)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 01:26:43 pm »

But so called FPS forums aren't tremendously smug about themselves, so I guess you could call it even.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 03:33:28 pm »

I don't think anybody here actually takes the debates too seriously. I mean its only a game at the end of the day.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »

It hasn't really gotten that bad yet, though I did notice what I viewed as a slight increase in not-quite-so-friendly activity starting near the end of DF2012's development. I do find myself worrying sometimes
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 04:00:59 pm »

I haven't seen trouble with this. Maybe it's just perspective based on the sort of places that I usually go, but this forum seems like a nice place full of polite and reasonable people. I've seen people make harsh (and probably trolling) statements about tilesets and their proponents elsewhere, but I can't really see that occurring much here. Same with danger rooms, although with those it's more like gentle ribbing for needing them even elsewhere.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 04:23:19 pm »

Seriously, to all of you, even if it wasn't actively you, you are still part of it

Troll threads (like the dwarf s adventure one) die early and actually, so do any discussion threads on things like danger rooms or editing the raws. They fizzle for a while, no harm done, but toady gets to see what people think

on that, changing how the game works instead of using an exploit of how the game works is in any way better? But skip this. If you react on it, don't, I'll bring it up next time a topic like that turns up

In the end, it is amazing to see the amount of tolerance, cruelty, charity, egoism, trust, betrayal, support, confidence, trickery and more in one group of peaple.

especially one that still works together like a well oiled death machine
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 04:27:20 pm »

[...] Same with danger rooms, although with those it's more like gentle ribbing for needing them even elsewhere.

Yeah, where actually was a thread where people would get all hostile and emotional about danger rooms?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 04:32:07 pm »

[...] Same with danger rooms, although with those it's more like gentle ribbing for needing them even elsewhere.

Yeah, where actually was a thread where people would get all hostile and emotional about danger rooms?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106370.0

like your avatar btw, t'was my favorite in that game.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 05:28:32 pm »

Ah yes. But again, here the problem is that the OP and maybe one other guy obviously are looking for trouble (note that the OP recently had one of his posts deleted by Toady elsewhere for "trolling"), and some people make the mistake to take the bait. I don't see a general problem with the community here other than that people shouldn't get themselves dragged into what wasn't going to go anywhere useful to begin with...

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 11:19:55 pm »

post got eaten by the forums, so I'll just say I agree with these two comments.

Considering the minimal amount of moderation that is readily visible, I'd say this place is doing fantastically in terms of general behaviour.
As far as forum biomes go, DF forums is definitely Serene.

Also,

Its usually caused by one person thats being a dick, really.
But if a single person is being a dick, people should just ignore him.

Where's the fun in that?  (Although you do run the risk of being trolled and/or derailing an otherwise good thread)
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 [2] 3