Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Permissions to Mill & Thresh  (Read 4157 times)

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Permissions to Mill & Thresh
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 02:39:43 pm »

I meant no offense techhead,
I support anything, that makes the interface better :)

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
Re: Permissions to Mill
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:30 am »

Resurrecting this idea! (seriously, 4 years...but it's a damned good idea!)  A "mill" option as well as the "extract" and "press" in the kitchen permissions would be the best thing in the world!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Permissions to Mill
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 11:40:45 am »

I would prefer a license to mill.

Well now it has to be added.

I don't think this would seriously clutter the interface- there's already a huge amount of space dedicated to blank space in the kitchen screen.

While we're adding options to that, why not a "Eat Raw" option? For one thing, it would make it clear what foods dwarves can eat raw, and second, if I want to use eyeballs, eyeballs, and more eyeballs to cook roasts, then I aught to be able to make sure dwarves never eat them raw.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 12:03:50 pm »

yeah, most of the kitchen permissions screen is a huge blank...so even having [RAW][COOK][BREW][MILL][PRESS] on the side wouldn't cover up any current vanilla plant/meat names...  and mother of bob would it streamline farming/cooking.

Edit: ...actually...durr...you wouldn't need [RAW] because unchecking everything else would make it automatically "eat raw only"

Double Edit: double durr...yeah...there may be some stuff you don't want anyone to eat raw...so yeah...need that [RAW]...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:48:23 am by JediaKyrol »

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 12:54:51 pm »

Im confused, cant you just disallow cooking or brewing if you want it to be used for one of them only?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 01:01:32 pm »

+1

I find myself growing pump helmets and strawberries for booze as a backup in case my millers go overboard.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 01:03:02 pm »

I grow strawberry wine because I imagine some of my dwarves enjoying. A lot of countries produce high quality cider although the manliness of it is up for debate. Then again they say beer makes you grow tits..
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 02:04:54 pm »

Im confused, cant you just disallow cooking or brewing if you want it to be used for one of them only?

that's fine for making things "mill only"  but when you want to mill sweet pods while brewing wheat at the same time without locked room shenanagins...

basically we want to say "DO NOT MILL" the same as when you label seeds and drinks "DO NOT COOK"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 02:13:01 pm »

You might be able to get away with it currently if you make very specific stockpiles and keep a close eye on your levels. And you keep your mill far away from your brewery.

The problem is, you still can't switch around quickly or efficiently.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 02:40:36 pm »

This could be extrapolated into a more general system of "this workshop should use the following types of materials", however, or even a "draw from this stockpile" sort of mechanic, which would make this a more global solution than merely a specific food-related one.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 03:30:08 pm »

Actually to a certain extent, some modders have figured out how to do some of this. And it works quite nicely I might add. It's not perfect but it does alleviate some of the headache of dealing with crops with multiple processing options.

And here is a link too.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96679.msg2775733#msg2775733

Edit: And yes it'd be nice if Toady implemented the suggested changes to the kitchen menu. Namely just a mill and threshing option to turn on/off like we have for brewing and cooking. So here is another +1 for that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:33:15 pm by Patchy »

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 04:44:48 pm »

talk about a brute-force workaround...

...but it'll work for now.  throwing it in my game.

...still want a real toggle though.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 05:01:53 pm »

yeah, most of the kitchen permissions screen is a huge blank...so even having [RAW][COOK][BREW][MILL][PRESS] on the side wouldn't cover up any current vanilla plant/meat names...  and mother of bob would it streamline farming/cooking.

Edit: ...actually...durr...you wouldn't need [RAW] because unchecking everything else would make it automatically "eat raw only"

yes you would, if you don't want them to eat it raw.
Pages: 1 2 [3]