Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Tools for every profession  (Read 11896 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Tools for every profession
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »

1. Let's say that workshops are removed ENTIRELY.
2. Workshops are now designated zones like hospitals.
3. The tools you designate the workshop to be stocked with (probably by labor generally, but also you could specify duplicates in the "complex/custom" menu) determine what sorts of tasks the workshop can be used for.

This is widely rumoured to be a long-term development goal, though I still think that if we're going to have tools then they ought to be at least somewhat independent of workshop zones. At the very least, it needs to be possible for dwarves to borrow spare tools from another workshop zone if they don't have enough in their own; is this possible with hospitals?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 09:03:57 pm »

Responding to this on a line-by-line basis is becoming a Sisyphean task, so I'm going to only broadly outline any further criticisms.

Spoiler: On Weight of Choice (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On Resource Sinks (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On Workshop Zones (click to show/hide)

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 10:07:36 am »

1. Let's say that workshops are removed ENTIRELY.
2. Workshops are now designated zones like hospitals.
3. The tools you designate the workshop to be stocked with (probably by labor generally, but also you could specify duplicates in the "complex/custom" menu) determine what sorts of tasks the workshop can be used for.

This is widely rumoured to be a long-term development goal, though I still think that if we're going to have tools then they ought to be at least somewhat independent of workshop zones. At the very least, it needs to be possible for dwarves to borrow spare tools from another workshop zone if they don't have enough in their own; is this possible with hospitals?
Actually, no. You assign tools to a work zone because you want them to be available there when you need them.

The jobs you can potentially do in a workshop zone, however, should not depend on a static predetermined type like workshops now, but on the tools and infrastructure you have available.

And there's always the design option to let the dwarves own and take care of the tools they use.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 10:59:25 am »

I'm not saying that I would actually WANT an entire list of every damn tool that's ever been invented, or your pedantic complaint of '50 different kinds of hammers', I just want the ABILITY, the SUPPORT for actual TOOLS. These tools could even find use in *gasp* ADVENTURER-side crafting, actual liberation from the arbitrary 3x3 'building'!

Becasue that's really part of what peeves me, the damn workshop itself is arbitrary, I build rooms and design spaces, and then just cram some 'building' inside of it in which 'maaaaagicaaaal' reactions take place. It's shutting the door on my involvement in a huge part of what my dwarves do (ie: make shit.)

I want to assign a bunch of highest quality, expensive tools to my most honorable Legendary Craftsdwarf's private, equisitly decorated workshop in his quarters (and I want him to bitch about it if I don't), while just slapping a bunch of bulk hammers and chisels to the open air warehouse I work my unskilled migrants nigh to death in.

I desire kobold thieves to sneak and ransack, carrying away whatever they can stuff in a sack, depriving me of valuable and expensive tools.

I wish to watch goblin gearsmiths scurry about the downright hazardous workshop I designated in some insane macro-engine in search of just that proper tool they need.

I long to behold in trepdation as an elderly human wizard potters about in his study, moving from his aged Grimore, to the Sacred chimes of Tezchupel, to the Seal upon Malificance and back to his desk full of potions and elixirs before plucking one out and drinking deep of the draught in the fading light of the guttering corpsewax candles.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 11:10:44 am »

I don see the problem with lots of tools for different workshops. DF encourages you to specialize your dwarfes for better quality items. A stone-crafter would probably carry around his +iron chisel+ on his person and drop it if he needed another item.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 11:55:22 am »

@Nohaku - You seem to have missed the parts where I said that tools, taken strictly by themselves, would not have a huge impact on gameplay. So, your rant about how tools under the current system would have little impact has already been noted, along with some of the things that would have to go into making them more than an aesthetic. All of the points you mentioned have already been covered in my previous post on the subject.

DF can essentially be broken down in to only a few main segments:
-Architectural
-Military
-Economic
-Logistic
-Mechanic
-Aesthetic

My question to you is, in a simulation, why would you want to remove a key component that has been part of every major segment of your simulation. Tools are not trivial. Tools as a game mechanic are not trivial.

What you are arguing basically amounts to:

The game is already completely unbalanced, so why add tools if they aren't going to balance the game all by themselves or are not going to add earth-shattering ramifications to game play all by themselves?

So, in contrast, lets look at other areas of DF that already exist.

You virtually never see food/, either. It is a number that you have to track in order to keep your dwarves alive. Or, as you said, a spread sheet mechanic. After year two even farming doesn't matter because you can do everything by trade.

You virtually never see clothes, either. They are a spread sheet mechanic for keeping your dwarves happy.

Engraving your entire fortress has no effect other than a tile change and happy thoughts, even though it is hugely time consuming.

Virtually all of your production outside of crafts, furniture, and military equipment are of no consequence. The vast majority of them do not hold significant enough value to be trade goods, many do not offer any substance beyond the occassional happy thought, and the player never sees or interacts with them other than the production queue.

The current workshop size offers no interesting choices to the game, and if anything, it removes choice by setting the basic dimensions that a player must build too. Take into consideration that they are only 3x3 in a map that literally has over a million tiles, and that you really need no more than perhaps one or two in your entire fort and you have something completely insignificant.

The ONLY things that have any attached significance in the current DF model are architecture, logistics, and military. I would include economic but that model is so badly broken as to be laughable. Even the mechanic is not significant, because the entire game can be played without ever constructing a machinism. I have built entire forts where I didn't even have a mechanics shop.

So, tell me again, considering that in its current state more than quarter of DF amounts to nothing more than Aesthetic choice, why tools, which immediately affect two of those three components, and can be fleshed out to have a meaningful impact on ALL of the components is any more empty than the vast majority of the rest of the game?
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 11:56:15 am »

Spoiler: On Aesthetics (click to show/hide)
Short answer: who are you or me to judge other people's tastes? You just don't like it; fine. Let's move on.

Spoiler: On Weight of Choice (click to show/hide)
In short: why should this particular proposal have to solve every unrelated problem in DF you drag into here?

Spoiler: On Resource Sinks (click to show/hide)
Resource sinks are not related to the matter of requiring tools for workshops or not.

Spoiler: On Workshop Zones (click to show/hide)
Workshop zones or rooms aren't the core of this argument, so let's keep that between tags.

A matter of choice: versatility or efficiency.

edit: ninja'd by good arguments.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:37:23 pm by Silverionmox »

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 12:10:39 pm »

The only resource sink in the game is logs, because unless you dig down to magma this is the only way you can make beds and charcoal. When you are in a area with little logs and dont want to constantly babysit your woodcutters trading for logs is important even if wood is very cheap.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 12:36:19 pm »

@Simon

There are other resource sinks, but at the moment they are trivial because of the vast availability of resources. It's like using the drain in your bathroom sink when your faucet is a firehose. Even tools would not be that big of a sink, but they would open that drain up a little wider. While I disagree with Silverionmox on the fact that resource sinks are not related to the topic, the relation is tenuous at best. The only way it could have any significant impact is if the posibility to destroy the raw materials was noticably higher and the success rate was noticably lower on reactions that took place without tools. If that were in place, any change in resource availability would have an amplified increase in effect. Which would in turn lead to an increase in the impact that your choices had on fortress sustainability.

@NW_Nohaku & Silverionmox

For an example of how tools could be worked into the larger framework of balancing DF,
See: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106976.0

Just seems like a decent compromise.. let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:29:50 pm by ravaught »

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 02:01:02 pm »

[PERMITED_REACTION:CUT_CRUDE_SPEAR]

I would suggest instead:

[PERMITED_REACTION:CHOPPING]

Implying that the axe can be used for 'all' tasks that incorporated CHOPPING as a component (for example, making firewood, or slaughtering a cow, or creating the aforementioned crude spear.)

Some tools may have multiple permitted reactions, for example, a needle may have

[PERMITED_REACTION:SEWING, PIERCING]

Allowing this needle to both be used in making clothes, or closing wounds, as well as in the theoretical task of applying tattoos or doing weird voodoo stuff.

Work orders such as 'Make: Breastplate' could possibly involve multiple reactions such as 'HEAT, HAMMER, QUENCH, HEAT, HAMMER, RIVET, QUENCH'.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:06:34 pm by Belteshazzar »
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2012, 02:31:41 pm »

The crude spear was just a joke of a place holder to show that individual items could be permitted specific actions, even those that fall outside the purview of a specific workshop, like building walls, engraving stone, or paving a road. The class reaction flag is a good idea too. Personally, I would think a combination of the two would be most effective. Though, I would change the flag to read [PERMITTED_REACTION_TYPE: CHOPPING]

Or, if you refer back to the http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106976.0 thread, Chopping could be considered a skill, and the flag would change to [PERMITTED_SKILL: CHOPPING] and would be required by the labors Woodcutting and Buthering or whatever. The reaction itself would define which tool would be needed.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2012, 02:43:12 pm »

I was under the impression that the idea of replacing workshops with tools or requiring workshops to use tools or basically anything in that vein has been brought up several times and repeatedly been shot down by Toady.  It seems sufficient that large tools are a part of the workshop (either actually or implied:  barrel's/buckets/anvils), and that small tools dwarves carry around for non-workshop jobs are just carried by those dwarves with the job enabled.  Dropping/equipping/storing/making small tools when dwarves change jobs sounds like a big unnecessary unfun layer of stuff the game has to use dwarf time and cpu cycles on.  Needing to embark with hammers and saws and bellows for forges and the like is cool, but not worth adding if all they're going to do is sit as part of a workshop all day (and indeed these can be modded in already).  Creating generic "toolbox" items sounds like the most boring of both worlds, and no one wants to see their quality modifiers go away for not keeping up with tool production as some carrot-and-stick approach to the issue.  Not to mention that consumable/degradable workshop components wouldn't really be a trivial implementation for toady, unless you're talking about stacks of 200 tools with every reaction consuming 1, and dwarves hauling stacks of tools all over the place.  that would be dumb.

[irreverent]
If you want tools how about you buy some ladels and knives from the caravans and quantum dump them all over your kitchen workshops
[/irreverent]
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012, 04:19:14 pm »

@Slothen

Regardless of whether you see it this way or not, the game already uses tools extensively. Swords, Minecarts, bins, axes, crossbows, ropes, tables, cabinets, bags etc are all tools. So, asking that the functionality be made generic and extensible via modification is not exactly asking for anything revolutionary. I am not even asking that it be added to the vanilla DF. Just that the ability to mod it in a functionable manner is implemented. Abstracting the existing items(like those mentioned above) to the new format would like make things much easier on Toady for coding purposes in the long run anyway.

As mentioned to Nohaku, there are different styles of playing the game, and everyone enjoys different aspects of it. So criticizing an idea because it is not YOUR preferred style of gameplay is a little disingenuous. Simply put, if the system WAS implemented in vanilla DF, it would be a simple task to remove any and all tools from your game because they would all exist in the raws.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2012, 04:23:57 pm »

I was under the impression that the idea of replacing workshops with tools or requiring workshops to use tools or basically anything in that vein has been brought up several times and repeatedly been shot down by Toady.
Quote, please.

It seems sufficient that large tools are a part of the workshop (either actually or implied:  barrel's/buckets/anvils), and that small tools dwarves carry around for non-workshop jobs are just carried by those dwarves with the job enabled. Dropping/equipping/storing/making small tools when dwarves change jobs sounds like a big unnecessary unfun layer of stuff the game has to use dwarf time and cpu cycles on.
Obviously. 

Needing to embark with hammers and saws and bellows for forges and the like is cool, but not worth adding if all they're going to do is sit as part of a workshop all day (and indeed these can be modded in already).
Disagree, they won't. Either your mason or carpenter is going to walk around with it, giving him an improvised weapon, or you're going to reassign it to make another workshop if necessary. Even if you make a new workshop when you acquire a better hammer, that old one is not necessarily useless junk, but can be used to improve another workshop slightly.

Creating generic "toolbox" items sounds like the most boring of both worlds, and no one wants to see their quality modifiers go away for not keeping up with tool production as some carrot-and-stick approach to the issue.  Not to mention that consumable/degradable workshop components wouldn't really be a trivial implementation for toady, unless you're talking about stacks of 200 tools with every reaction consuming 1, and dwarves hauling stacks of tools all over the place.  that would be dumb.
Agreed.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56:09 pm »

I was under the impression that the idea of replacing workshops with tools or requiring workshops to use tools or basically anything in that vein has been brought up several times and repeatedly been shot down by Toady.
Quote, please.
I believe its been raised in DF talks or future of the fortress.  Beyond that I don't care to look it up.

Needing to embark with hammers and saws and bellows for forges and the like is cool, but not worth adding if all they're going to do is sit as part of a workshop all day (and indeed these can be modded in already).
Disagree, they won't. Either your mason or carpenter is going to walk around with it, giving him an improvised weapon, or you're going to reassign it to make another workshop if necessary. Even if you make a new workshop when you acquire a better hammer, that old one is not necessarily useless junk, but can be used to improve another workshop slightly.
See previous statement regarding small tools.  They're not a good idea, although use as a weapon is one redeeming feature.  If its a large tool, why would it ever need to leave the workshop?  Any given craft could have a myriad of different tools that would make sense to be part of the workshop, in which case we're back to just having big expanded lists of building components.  If you want to introduce tools as variables in the effectiveness or functionality of a workshop (which I agree are pretty bland constructs of the game), then we're looking at a fundamental workshop change, which would not be trivial to introduce, much less abstract into the raws.  While adding a layer of complexity here isn't a bad thing, its not something that should be done lightly.  Sure, it may be too simple to make certain items or start industries.  But implementing tools would not really have a payoff in expanding the creative toolbox of the fortress overseer.  I admit this is the "workshops are boring, and fixing them would be boring" argument, but Toady's time is at a premium, and I don't see the time/reward ratio as being particularly practical, especially when many players would almost certainly view the system as a downright nuisance.  With that in mind, I would place this as a third priority behind other new features and bug fixing.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4