Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question: rolling up mods  (Read 704 times)

wzam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question: rolling up mods
« on: April 04, 2012, 03:07:31 pm »

It's pretty time consuming to get situated with each new version of DF, especially if you use tools and mods that update at different speeds, and if you don't use the brilliant and sexy Lazy Newb Pack.

For instance, I'm on OSX, I have a strong Dwarf Therapist addiction, I'm currently into Jolly Bastion (both for the look and the nice app packaging), and I just started Fortress Defense and I don't foresee every going back--I hate waiting around for the goblins to come back, and I've never yet successfully pissed off the dwarves, elves or humans.

So my question is this: Is it kosher to zip up and post other people's mods and graphics onto DFFD? I'm sure credit would need to be given to all the mods.

For example: 34.07 for OSX with Fortress Defense, Jolly Bastion and proper-memory-offset Dwarf Therapist

I still don't have it worked out. I'm still playing 34.05 and I'm not alone. But I wish someone would do this. Do they not do it because it steps on modders' rights? Or is somebody out there waiting for me to?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Question: rolling up mods
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:22:56 pm »

The dwarf therapist is already up do date, and tilesets don't require any changes between versions. And the fortress defense is for 0.31.06 which is totally compatible with 0.31.07.

So what's the problem?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 06:18:38 pm »

I think the OP is asking about the potential beardyness of reposting others work..

While working on Underhive Settlement I found this modding community to be both incredibly helpful and also very friendly to approach. I would PM all the people involved in the making of your "Modpack" and ask if they dont mind you reposting their work as a pack..

I mean, just look at Meph, he has pretty much hoovered up every mod that has come along to create his amazing Masterwork Mod...

wzam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:17:18 pm »

DT for OSX wasn't working a few days ago (telling me it needed 34.05) and the JB package just updated a few days ago, I think.

Abregado got to the point of my question though. if I ever undertake such a selfless act, I'll ask the misdeed first.

My main point though is that life is hard without the Lazy Newb Pack, when one's too lazy to open Bootcamp.

plaidman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:30:59 pm »

I whipped up something along these lines to compile my own Mac app using Vanilla DF, the Phoebus update pack, and a few miscellaneous tweaks that I like to run with (aquifers, key-bindings, etc). I can post what I have and you can tweak it so it works with Jolly Bastion and Fortress Defense if you're OK with bash scripting and know how .app files (actually just folders) work. I don't think the mod authors mind sharing and recompiling their work as long as you give credit where it's due.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:37:31 pm by plaidman »